Suggestions for a city cache

LucaRama

Hello! I'm an Italian geocachers.

One of my cache recently was vandalized, I would need some suggestions to hide again this cache.

The "problem" is that it's hidden in the center of a city and the cache must contain at least one block-notes (then, no micro cache!).

Suggestions?

Thank you all!

Does that mean that you need a big enough log book that there is room for a single drawing/comic on the log sheet, or that there is room for a drawing/comic above every finder's log?

The second option: each log, a drawing.

A cache I had already done and liked the idea. Now, however, was vandalized and wanted to find a new solution, but not easy to hide a cache of a certain size in the city. The notebook, however, is not large, is about 11x8.

Well, it sounds like you need something pretty well camouflaged, if it's going to be big enough for a notebook. And here's some advice I've posted a couple times recently about hiding well-camouflaged caches:

"Spend some time looking around your potential cache site. What kinds of things do you see, things that people usually ignore, things that are just part of the environment? Which of those things could be a container, or hold a container? What other kinds of things could fit into that environment and seem like they belong? Which of those things could be a container, or hold a container?"

Initially, I wouldn't worry about the dimensions. Just look for possibilities for hiding a camouflaged container that blends in with the surroundings. After you have several ideas, re-evaluate the larger ones. Keep in mind that there are ways to cut down a larger logbook to fit your cache. For example, around here I can get "composition books" which are notebooks with sewn bindings, roughly 18cm x 25cm. But I can use my band saw to cut these composition books into whatever size/shape I need to fit smaller or narrower containers.

Well, it sounds like you need something pretty well camouflaged, if it's going to be big enough for a notebook. And here's some advice I've posted a couple times recently about hiding well-camouflaged caches:

"Spend some time looking around your potential cache site. What kinds of things do you see, things that people usually ignore, things that are just part of the environment? Which of those things could be a container, or hold a container? What other kinds of things could fit into that environment and seem like they belong? Which of those things could be a container, or hold a container?"

Initially, I wouldn't worry about the dimensions. Just look for possibilities for hiding a camouflaged container that blends in with the surroundings. After you have several ideas, re-evaluate the larger ones. Keep in mind that there are ways to cut down a larger logbook to fit your cache. For example, around here I can get "composition books" which are notebooks with sewn bindings, roughly 18cm x 25cm. But I can use my band saw to cut these composition books into whatever size/shape I need to fit smaller or narrower containers.

Thank you! But it isn't as simple as it seems. I looked, but I do a magnatic cache or I don't see many alternatives...is the size that makes me in trouble!

I converted a small clip-lock container into a magnetic container for one of my hides. I glued a strong speaker magnet to the base of the container, added a false bottom, sealed it with 2 part epoxy and spray painted it.

Was very simple to make and had a few comments about the container already, so started making a 2nd one as well.

If you get a couple of magnets you could easily do the same with a slightly larger clip-lock, then it could be hidden behind signs etc... as long as it's not too easy to spot. (E.g. signs on walls with a gap behind them, or signs where the back of the sign view is obstructed by tree's etc...)

efd994cf-fb3e-4736-948c-d39715bdd2aa.jpg

(this is the one I'm making atm, still WIP, but shows you the idea, just need to seal around the edges of the false bottom then spray it all.)

Not to get too technical, but wouldn't a table saw give a cleaner cut to a notebook than the much-slower-moving blade of a bandsaw?

Anyway, clever idea for custom logbooks.

is the size that makes me in trouble!
Well, yes. The reason micro-caches (and nano-caches) are common in locations like this is that the smaller caches are the ones that can survive. Larger caches are harder to hide. And even when well hidden, larger caches are more likely to be noticed by non-geocachers when geocachers retrieve/replace them, so they're more likely to be muggled. I've seen blinkers last for years in locations where larger caches lasted only a few months, or weeks, or even days. And once a location has been compromised, it's easier to move a smaller container somewhere nearby to avoid repeated muggling.

But I can use my band saw to cut these composition books into whatever size/shape I need to fit smaller or narrower containers.
Not to get too technical, but wouldn't a table saw give a cleaner cut to a notebook than the much-slower-moving blade of a bandsaw?Anyway, clever idea for custom logbooks.
Maybe, but I don't have a table saw. I do have a band saw. (I use it mainly at workshops for our church's annual pinewood derby.)

I converted a small clip-lock container into a magnetic container for one of my hides. I glued a strong speaker magnet to the base of the container, added a false bottom, sealed it with 2 part epoxy and spray painted it.

Was very simple to make and had a few comments about the container already, so started making a 2nd one as well.

If you get a couple of magnets you could easily do the same with a slightly larger clip-lock, then it could be hidden behind signs etc... as long as it's not too easy to spot. (E.g. signs on walls with a gap behind them, or signs where the back of the sign view is obstructed by tree's etc...)

efd994cf-fb3e-4736-948c-d39715bdd2aa.jpg

(this is the one I'm making atm, still WIP, but shows you the idea, just need to seal around the edges of the false bottom then spray it all.)

Thank you!

I'm sorry, but I'm italian and I speak English very bad. :D

What is a clip-lock container and a speaker magnet? I can't translate well these two words...sorry!

And, what is the size of this cache?

Thanks also to others!

I hope, however, in other suggestions! ;)

Clip Lock Container - A container with the 4 sides of the lid that clip down to give it a better seal.

Speaker Magnet - A magnet from an old hi-fi speaker, any magnet will do though if it's strong enough.

Also, this cache is pretty small, but if you get a strong enough magnet (or several) you can make most containers into a magnetic container, allowing you to attach them to almost any metal surface.

Edit: Here's a pic now it's been sealed and painted, I've added a regular sized 330ml can of pop into the picture for size reference. (it's about big enough for logsheet and few small swaps, bouncy balls, erasers, GeoCoins, etc...) Though as I say, with strong enough magnets you can make any size magnetic.

10c72f6f-8ff3-48c4-9009-efe3cd890ada.png

Edited by u1bd2005

Clip Lock Container - A container with the 4 sides of the lid that clip down to give it a better seal.

Speaker Magnet - A magnet from an old hi-fi speaker, any magnet will do though if it's strong enough.

Also, this cache is pretty small, but if you get a strong enough magnet (or several) you can make most containers into a magnetic container, allowing you to attach them to almost any metal surface.

Edit: Here's a pic now it's been sealed and painted, I've added a regular sized 330ml can of pop into the picture for size reference. (it's about big enough for logsheet and few small swaps, bouncy balls, erasers, GeoCoins, etc...) Though as I say, with strong enough magnets you can make any size magnetic.

Thank you very much! Interesting!

Hello! I'm an Italian geocachers.

One of my cache recently was vandalized, I would need some suggestions to hide again this cache.

The "problem" is that it's hidden in the center of a city and the cache must contain at least one block-notes (then, no micro cache!).

Suggestions?

Thank you all!

if you could, without giving away the cache location, could take some pics of the area in questions, maybe someone here can spot some areas for you to look into. Being a city center, I would imagine there would be lots of muggles around.

if you could, without giving away the cache location, could take some pics of the area in questions, maybe someone here can spot some areas for you to look into. Being a city center, I would imagine there would be lots of muggles around.

There isn't a definite place. The area is quite extensive, but the available spaces reduced. There are also many houses, so many muggles.

In the city, a larger cache are hard to hide... :(

Edited by LucaRama

Maybe you could make a mystery or multi cache where someone has to go to that location, gather some info to get the coordinates to another stage or the final where you can hide a container.

This would would well if the reason for hiding the cache is to bring someone to that city center.

There isn't a definite place. The area is quite extensive, but the available spaces reduced. There are also many houses, so many muggles.

In the city, a larger cache are hard to hide... :(

Yes, that can be difficult. Since nobody has mentioned it so far, you can't *require* someone to create a drawing in the log book in order to log the cache as a find. That's called an "additional logging requirement" (ALR) and is not allowed. I noticed that the cache is at the comic book museum, but it has an entrance fee so you couldn't hide it inside the museum itself. Perhaps you could find a place that could be watched by those that work at the museum to keep it from getting muggled. If you can attach the log book to something, even if it is in plain view, it might be better protected and people will still enjoy "finding" it. We're not allowed to place a cache such that one has to interact with employees at a business but you might be able to find someplace where someone that was going to damage the cache would have to interact with employees.

By the way, I tried to find a cache that was at the comic book museum in Brussels but the area where the cache was located was under construction so I didn't find it.

Have you thought about using a combination lock box?

I saw a key box last night outside a closed business, and imagined how that might be as a cache container. It was the kind that locks to a doorknob, and this one was locked to a metal conduit. These things are usually designed to hold a key, so there won't be a lot of space for TBs and Swag.