Two minds are better than one--perhaps

rooboy

The Pot o' Gold geocache, by Krohsedog and Gessner17, in Mt Vernon, Iowa needs another visit--it must be feeling lonely. I dropped by in August and could see the cache, but decided that it was too difficult/dangerous to attempt to get to it myself.

I believe that there are two ways to reach this cache, climb down to it with the aid of climbing gear or hop in a canoe and paddle out to it.

I am wondering if there are any Eastern Iowa geocachers interested in teaming up for an attempt at reaching this geocache during some upcoming weekend.

Ciao

RooBoy

Count me in.

It's the first in my search list, but there was no way I was doing it alone. I figured I'd have to wait till the water froze.

I can do the climb, but I think others would be more comfortable with the boat approach. Perhaps more people will join if we can confirm one will be available. I can chip-in if we need a rental.

quote:
Originally posted by TeamX40:

I'll send you some information Welch gave me for a Cedar Rapids email ring and I'll ping a few people who may have not had time to see this in the forum.

I'm somewhat flexible on which weekend but I'd like to hear from a few more people first.

Thanks

Based on previous logs I was figuring Id go check it out after things freeze up. Schedule is pretty full for a while, but if the timing works out Id be up for a boat (or maybe even a climbing) attempt. Continue posting as the plan firms up.

Also, how about sharing the CR webring info?

------------------------------------------------

The world is a playground. Go outside and play!

Looks like a challenge made easier by everyone interested in this. I'll see if I can make it there by 8:00 AM. Bear is out of town so it'll only be the Timber of Timber&Bear. Possibility of an inflatable 2-man raft to add to the marine assault. I'll need to check. Any other watercraft yet or rapelling gear?

Guys,

I think you are making this a little bigger production than it needs to be. I was the first finder of this cache. I had my then seven year old daughter stand at the top of the cliff with my cell phone with instructions to call Mommy if she heard a splash. I went over the side with a rope, but soon found I didn't really need the rope. It just added to the comfort factor.

Have a good time,

Aladin Sane

No, the production is that this is probably the biggest get-together the Cedar Rapids area has seen. It seems to me to be a natural progression as Geocaching interest builds in the area. Small compared to an event but certainly a first step. How many cachers too far from Cache Events would love an excuse to meet with other local cachers?

Several of us have decided not to hang our butts out into the wind and decided to pull together. Call us chicken if you want to. Plus our kids can join in without having to be dangled over a cliff or report to mommy that something happened to daddy.

Let us old fuddy-duddies have our moment bonding with fellow cachers.

Future meets will probably be posted on a local site.

[This message was edited by TeamX40 on October 15, 2003 at 08:14 PM.]

Just want to say thank you to everyone that turned up in Mt Vernon at 8am this morning for some Pot o' Gold geocaching fun (TeamX40 and friend with canoe, Timber, BioMedChief with squaws and gf, Welch, S10, Perry, and anyone else I have forgotten). A big thank you to TeamX40 for bringing a friend that graciously allowed all searching for adventure to ride in his canoe.

To cut to the chase, the cache was missing from its location, we paddled, climed, and searched to no avail. But an eagle eyed Welch spotted the cache container floating in the water on the north shore of this mini-lake. Welch also provided a new cache container so we re-hid the cache after filling it with new goodies.

So I guess that there will be quite a few "I found the cache" entries logged for the Pot o' Gold geocache this weekend.

Eastern Iowa geocachers, lets do this again sometime.

Ciao

RooBoy

quote:
Originally posted by RooBoy:

Just want to say thank you to everyone that turned up in Mt Vernon at 8am this morning for some Pot o' Gold geocaching fun (TeamX40 and

Im sorry I missed it, sounds like a good time. One of the kids wasnt feeling well this morning so we got a late start.

Looks like it was a good thing welch found the sale on ammo boxes icon_wink.gif

The world is a playground. Go outside and play!