Cable skiing

I have the idea of a new category that i think is interesting (and extremely fun if you ride it :D )

Let’s see what you think:

Cable skiing is a way to do towed water sports (such as water ski or wakeboard), in which the towed rope and handle are pulled by an electrically-driven cable, whereas traditionally is pulled by a boat. The first one opened in 1970 and today we have identified more than 300. Only one of the Cable makers build 15 cableways all around the world this year and expects that number to grow the next years.

You can find more information in in the wikipédia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_skiing

There has been cable water skiing at Penrith, Western Sydney for years. I note now they have cable wake boarding. You have to pay to get in - $146 for 2 hours for a family of 4 or $49 for a single adult. Highly unlikely you could get close enough to take photos from the outside as is part of a large complex. This would be my only concern, apart from the fact I can't ski & would spend my 2 hours being dragged bodily across the water.

Why not? I have done it in the past, it's very funny. The funniest thing is the start, try it and you know what I mean.

Super funny was my fall in a fast round. The water feels like concrete when your face hits in. Beautiful!

The gallery could be real fun! This could also go in the "Photo Goals" category.

-lumbricus :grin:

I have the idea of a new category that i think is interesting (and extremely fun if you ride it :D )

I think it has potential. This activity can be compared to Zip lines, prevalence can be comparable with them.

I know about one permanent cable skiing, on lake just about 5km from my appartment in Bratislava. Never tried it yet, but its popular teambuilding activity. Like it.

Very interesting. I'm not sure how common these are. I'll ask my cousin. He and his wife are world class water skiiers, and the only one of these seen is near their winter home in Thailand. Looked like a lot of fun, but not quite as easy as it looks. But I think this would still be an interesting category. (I have photos and coordinates for that one, so you would have at least one waymark.) :rolleyes:

Edited by silverquill
So let's go!

So we have it under review now, let's see if it will be worthy for most of us.

If you barely heard about Cableways or Cable parks until now, you can explore them here too. Just click on your region to find one close to you.

These attractions are growing rapidly in recent years, I'm convinced there are many many more out there.

Any correction of spelling and grammar in descrition will be appreciated.

The category seems like a good one for Waymarking, but I'm not sure "Cableways" is the best name for it. The term "cableway" seems to be used more often to describe things like aerial tramways, gondolas, chairlifts, cable cars, and even funiculars. See this Wikipedia article for more on "cableways".

From doing some Googling, the terms "cable park" or "cable wake park" seems to be used more often to describe cable skiing/wakeboarding areas. You might want to consider changing the name of the category to reduce confusion and so you don't get people submitting lots of aerial trams and chairlifts to the category. Otherwise, the category looks good and I've given it a "Yea". Good luck!

For those who argument that there is a 'Water (Sports)' category, there is no 'Water (Sports)' category. There is a main category which has the foolowing subcategories:

Public Swimming Pools

Dive Sites

Swimming Holes

Dive Shops

Canoe/Kayak Trips

Whitewater Rafting Trips

Marinas

Diving Platforms

lumbricus

For those who argument that there is a 'Water (Sports)' category, there is no 'Water (Sports)' category. There is a main category which has the foolowing subcategories:

Public Swimming Pools

Dive Sites

Swimming Holes

Dive Shops

Canoe/Kayak Trips

Whitewater Rafting Trips

Marinas

Diving Platforms

lumbricus

Yes .. thank you for good note, Andreas.

I will not speak for group leader, just for me as an officer. This peer review is another good lesson for me.

We are close to its end with this score of public voices:

23-6-10

.. that looks promising, but score could be much better if we could avoid couple of mistakes in prep-work. Too many 'Nays' are just unnecessary :( and could be eliminated with few very simple corrections/explanations in category description. We didn't realize them before review, but to be fair - concerns were not expressed in this discussion thread by anyone, so we felt safe to go to Peer review with writeup as it is.

So what about the concerns? From all voices (not only from negative ones):

• Prevalence 10x - yes, very valid concern, even I'm unsure how many waymarks are enough for separate category. There are couple of hundreds Cable Parks around the world .. potentially about 50-100 waymarks in couple of years as I can estimate. Is it enough? According to my recent counting (about month ago), there are 97 categories that exists at least since beginning of 2011 (long enough) with less than 50 waymarks. 25 categories have less than 25 waymarks, 3 categories less than 10. 25 waymarks in 3 years sounds like the edge to me. Quite comparable with similar categories, that went through Reviews in past - Zip lines, Bungee locations. So I gave it my "Yes".

• Category name (5x) - We are no native english speakers. If "Cable Parks" is more appropriate name, I hope Razalas can rename it, no problem.
  • Grammar mistakes (2x) - Thank you for corrections, they will be fixed.
  • Redundant (2x) - This is missunderstanding - not a valid concern - as explained by Lumbricus above.
  • Interesting / Informative issues (2x) - valid concern if raised by some percentage of waymarkers.
  • Temporary structure (1x) - sorry, I cannot agree. These structures are quite large, complex, with considerable construction costs. Return on investment comes after several seasons. First commercial cable park is working from 1966 till today.

Anyway, thank you for any opinion expressed about this category either here or in Peer review. It is interesting to know how others see this game.

The category has been accepted in peer review, thanks to all who voted and commented in order to improve the category.

Sorry not to have answered sooner but I was away for the weekend, but I agree with what Rikitan and lumbricus wrote.

Just couple of things:

•  
  • The name: I was undecided about the name, Cableways or Cable Parks but chose Cableways because it is the name which its inventor called it and because many of these are not located in Cable Parks. But if the community prefer Cable Parks I do not mind to change it but I can not do it because I do not have access, but we will see what we can do.

• The Grammar mistakes have been be fixed (Thanks for the correction, and if you find more let us know)

Thanks again and hope you enjoy this category :)

What about: "Cable Skiing and Wakeboarding"

I like this. The term "Cable parks" that I proposed above could still be ambiguous and could be potentially be confused with the "Ropes Course" category, but Lumbricus' suggestion is much more unambiguous. If this was put to a vote, I'd vote for "Cable Skiing and Wakeboarding"!