Garmin Dakota 10

I use the Dakota 20 which is very similar, the only difference being the electronic compass, barometer and memory card slot. It is a great GPS for Geocaching, and I am very happy with mine.

The first thing that I would do is hook it up to your computer and make a copy of the files on the Dakota drive. Save these onto your computer or better still burn them to a DVD. It is very easy with these latest GPS's that show up as a mass storage device, to delete important files from the GPS memory by mistake.

I would then check to see if there are any available firmware updates for the GPS, either with the Garmin Updater or via Base Camp.

The Dakota 10 has around 850 MB of memory space, and this is ample to put some open street mapping onto the unit. I can recommend the free UK maps from "Talky Toaster" especially the 1-50 look and feel ones. They look great on the Dakota and are perfect for Geocaching.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

I've had a Dakota 10 for about a year and I've been very pleased with it. It's much better than my phone in every respect, apart from the fact that it needs to have the caches loaded onto it. However, even then I sometimes do a search with my phone and then create a waypoint on the Dakota to go hunting.

Talkytoaster maps are great, and so are the maps from this website http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I have a PQ of my nearest 1000 caches that I upload regularly to keep up-to-date. Battery life is more than enough for a day's caching, but I carry a spare set. It's pretty robust, but I recommend using a lanyard, as that prevents it hitting the floor. In winter the touch screen will still work through gloves.

It's pretty logical to use, but I'm still finding more. Maps are routable, which can be useful, and you can get bike mounts and windscreen mounts if you want them.

Just play with it, the more you use it, the better you'll get.