An Event Rut

RenMin

Looking to pick the collective brains of all who surf these pages. I have done a handful of events and I seem to be in rut as to the structure.

They seem to go well; people have a good time chatting and stuff but how can on make an event stand out?

So what events have you attended that really were amazing or included a creative ideas to pass the time?

What makes an event memorable for you? Is it just hanging out chatting or does it involve planned activities?

So what events have you attended that really were amazing or included a creative ideas to pass the time?

What makes an event memorable for you? Is it just hanging out chatting or does it involve planned activities?

We have 2 events that draw large crowds here. One is Halloween themed event called "Fright in Falcon". Lots of decorations, costume contests, food and fun.

The other is the annual Christmas Event. Potluck snacks, door prizes, and gift exchange (if you want to participate).

One of the standout events that I attended was a "murder mystery" event. I liked it because mingling with other attendees was a big part of it, so 3/4 of the attendees weren't off caching as so often happens with events. Another nice feature was that attendees got to choose their level of participation - heavy, moderate, light or none and everyone seemed to have a great time regardless of their level of participation. Even the non participants had fun watching the whole thing play out.

Generally, I enjoy events more when I can just visit with other geocachers. Flexible ice-breaker games are fun, but most of the time, structured "everyone has to do this right now" games interrupt the time for visiting.

Raffles are popular, even though they would fall into the "everyone has to do this right now" category. But make sure a raffle doesn't drag on too long. If you have so many raffle prizes that everyone can get a prize, then just give out door prizes to everyone instead.

One of my favorite ice-breaker games is geocacher bingo. Fill a 5x5 grid with various categories, give everyone a copy of the grid, and then have people collect signatures from geocachers who meet the categories. Completed grids can be used as raffle tickets. And the categories can be things like:

• has found more than 1000 caches
  • has found fewer than 100 caches
  • owns a mystery/puzzle cache
  • owns a letterbox hybrid cache

Another great ice-breaker game involved trading geocaching pins. Upon arrival at the event, each person received a lanyard with 10 identical geocaching-related pins. But there were different designs for the pins, and the goal was to trade pins with others to end up with 10 different pin designs, rather than the 10 identical pins that you started with.

Generally, I enjoy events more when I can just visit with other geocachers. Flexible ice-breaker games are fun, but most of the time, structured "everyone has to do this right now" games interrupt the time for visiting.

Raffles are popular, even though they would fall into the "everyone has to do this right now" category. But make sure a raffle doesn't drag on too long. If you have so many raffle prizes that everyone can get a prize, then just give out door prizes to everyone instead.

One of my favorite ice-breaker games is geocacher bingo. Fill a 5x5 grid with various categories, give everyone a copy of the grid, and then have people collect signatures from geocachers who meet the categories. Completed grids can be used as raffle tickets. And the categories can be things like:

• has found more than 1000 caches
  • has found fewer than 100 caches
  • owns a mystery/puzzle cache
  • owns a letterbox hybrid cache

Another great ice-breaker game involved trading geocaching pins. Upon arrival at the event, each person received a lanyard with 10 identical geocaching-related pins. But there were different designs for the pins, and the goal was to trade pins with others to end up with 10 different pin designs, rather than the 10 identical pins that you started with.

+1 to all of this. My favorite type of event is a couple of hours in a pizza place with local cachers. Geo-bingo is great for getting people out of their little sub groups and mingling around. I've also had a good time at bigger potluck type BBQs in the park where it was just socializing, cooking and eating. The one event that I attended that turned me off was a highly organized event where the hosts felt like that had to keep everyone busy.

My most memorable event was a night walk up to the summit of mountain over snow covered paths in a full moon night with a meeting at a cosy inn at the end

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC43EVG_howling-wolf-v-special-edition?guid=6dde80b7-0f29-4db6-835a-f60d773bc898

The events on places 2 and 3 were also hiking events.

I prefer outdoor events where some physical activity takes place and what is reported below by Don_J as his favourite is rather my anti-favourite.

I prefer events with a small number of attendants and I want to select those I talk to and do not want to be forced to sozialize with whomever.

I'm not fond about playing games at all.

What I absolutely hate is being confronted with smokers in an indoor location and that's unfortunately hard to avoid even if all attendants of the event are non-smokers.

My favorite type of event is a couple of hours in a pizza place with local cachers. Geo-bingo is great for getting people out of their little sub groups and mingling around. I've also had a good time at bigger potluck type BBQs in the park where it was just socializing, cooking and eating. The one event that I attended that turned me off was a highly organized event where the hosts felt like that had to keep everyone busy.

Cezanne

My most memorable event was a night walk up to the summit of mountain over snow covered paths in a full moon night with a meeting at a cosy inn at the end

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC43EVG_howling-wolf-v-special-edition?guid=6dde80b7-0f29-4db6-835a-f60d773bc898

The events on places 2 and 3 were also hiking events.

I prefer outdoor events where some physical activity takes place and what is reported below by Don_J as his favourite is rather my anti-favourite.

I prefer events with a small number of attendants and I want to select those I talk to and do not want to be forced to sozialize with whomever.

What I absolutely hate is being confronted with smokers in an indoor location and that's unfortunately hard to avoid even if all attendants of the event are non-smokers.

My favorite type of event is a couple of hours in a pizza place with local cachers. Geo-bingo is great for getting people out of their little sub groups and mingling around. I've also had a good time at bigger potluck type BBQs in the park where it was just socializing, cooking and eating. The one event that I attended that turned me off was a highly organized event where the hosts felt like that had to keep everyone busy.

Cezanne

That's cool. If someone walks up with their Bingo card and asks, "Have you found more than 10 Multi caches", you can just fold your arms, give him a hard stare and reply, "I won't be forced to socialize with you". I bet you'd rather talk about all those great multis that you've done instead.

That's cool. If someone walks up with their Bingo card and asks, "Have you found more than 10 Multi caches", you can just fold your arms, give him a hard stare and reply, "I won't be forced to socialize with you". I bet you'd rather talk about all those great multis that you've done instead.

What I meant is that I would not choose to visit an event where such games are played.

Once there I of course would not answer in the way described above.

Moreover, the multi cache question is not a good example because there I could talk about something that would be ok for me and where I would not end up in getting frustrated. There are many other aspects of geocaching where things are different and I would get rather heated inside and would need a lot of energy to deal with that - definitely not relaxing for me, but rather the contrary.

Anyhow, the question of the OP was what kind of events are outstanding in the positive way for the person answering and I provided an example.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I also love outdoor events. One cacher in our area has an annual Vernal Equinox hike where the event location is a several mile hike to a location with a great view. He changes the location every year. It is very popular. Most attendees form in one mass group to hike there, but there are smaller groups who hike in together as well and even some solo hikers who make their way to the destination.

A few years ago I held an event on an island in the middle of a lake. It was about an hour long paddle to get there. One of the attendees liked the idea so much she has been doing something very similar the past few years and they are a lot of fun.

Like Cezanne, I'm not much of a game player but I have no problem attending events where there are games, especially games that encourage mingling. Since the point of events is to meet and socialize with other geocachers anything that encourages that is fine with me. And while I'm not into playing games, I don't mind watching other people enjoying themselves by playing games.

What I dislike are events where there are numerous "temporary caches" set up, or they are held in parks with a lot of caches. With those events most of the participants are off caching all day and I never get to meet many of them. And some actually quietly show up, sign the log and leave immediately with little or no interaction with other cachers. They stop by to get their event smiley then head back out to find caches. I think that kind of misses the point.

Edited by briansnat

Looking to pick the collective brains of all who surf these pages. I have done a handful of events and I seem to be in rut as to the structure.

They seem to go well; people have a good time chatting and stuff but how can on make an event stand out?

Haff a lie down on meinen couch und vee see vat der problem ist.

I tink you suffer a common phenomena een US - Ordinarius Neurosis. In otter verds you tink you efent not EXTREME enoff. You media ist vul of EXTREME dis und SONTAG! SONTAG! SONTAG! dot. Ach, Du lieber! Sie muss nicht giff in to das Monster Kool-aid or Rot Bull getrinken! Juss remember, iz how irhe guests enjoy themzelfs ist was gematter most! Nichts mit das fretzen un geworryink. Relaxen un watchen das log signen und Eventen unfolden.

Like Cezanne, I'm not much of a game player but I have no problem attending events where there are games, especially games that encourage mingling. Since the point of events is to meet and socialize with other geocachers anything that encourages that is fine with me. And while I'm not into playing games, I don't mind watching other people enjoying themselves by playing games.

I do not mind watching other playing games either, but there are games where I definitely do not enjoy to take part. If one can opt out and spend the time with something else, then it's ok for me.

My approach to geocaching is quite old-school (which puts me into a minority group) and I do not want to spend much time on events to debate about this as it just raises my blood pressure and does not yield to anything productive.

Moreover, I'm the type of person who prefers a smaller number of people to talk to and to spend more time for each person and topic and not to end up with mainly smalltalk with everyone or nearly everyone. So games like bingo in the described way are not ideal for me.

What I dislike are events where there are numerous "temporary caches" set up, or they are held in parks with a lot of caches. With those events most of the participants are off caching all day and I never get to meet many of them. And some actually quietly show up, sign the log and leave immediately with little or no interaction with other cachers. They stop by to get their event smiley then head back out to find caches. I think that kind of misses the point.

I dislike this phenomenon too. It happened that I looked forward to meeting certain cachers that announced their attendance and then I did not have any chance to meet them as they spent such a short time at the event and went off caching very soon. I appreciated the situation back in the old days where the attendants came just to meet each other and noone went off for

Outdoor events also solve the smoker issue that probably will not be an issue in many countries around the world even for indoor events, but unfortunately is a major issue in my country where the legal situation in this regard is absolutely ridiculous and a real shame for a civilized country in the 21-th century.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I also love outdoor events. One cacher in our area has an annual Vernal Equinox hike where the event location is a several mile hike to a location with a great view. He changes the location every year. It is very popular. Most attendees form in one mass group to hike there, but there are smaller groups who hike in together as well and even some solo hikers who make their way to the destination.

A few years ago I held an event on an island in the middle of a lake. It was about an hour long paddle to get there. One of the attendees liked the idea so much she has been doing something very similar the past few years and they are a lot of fun.

I really had no interest in attending a Geocache in space event but someone nearby published one that looks like it might be fun. Instead of an event held at a pizza place where a bunch of people show up, pretend to be interested in an astronaut taking a TB to the ISS, then signing the log and leaving immediately (and then going home to post an attended log so they can get the souvenir), the CO is having the event in a small rural park. It starts at 7:00PM and the CO is bringing along a telescope (and asked that others that have one bring one) and is planning on having a bonfire to toast smores and spend the evening socializing and looking at the stars.

Outdoor events also solve the smoker issue that probably will not be an issue in many countries around the world even for indoor events, but unfortunately is a major issue in my country where the legal situation in this regard is absolutely ridiculous and a real shame for a civilized country in the 21-th century.

Cezanne

Actually, smoking isn't permitted in any of the city parks in the city in which I live either.

Cezanne

Actually, smoking isn't permitted in any of the city parks in the city in which I live either.

I know, but to what I was referring was to a frequent problem with indoor events that even if all participants of the event are non smokers, it depends on the location whether others (non geocachers) will be allowed to smoke. When being outdoors it is much easier to escape the smoke than in a closed room and I can deal with smoke there more easily. I recently attended a meeting of a small number of geocachers (all non smokers) where after a few hours the several of the geocachers suffered from symptoms like headache, a sore throat and other unhealthy effects just due to heavy smoke. The innkeeper just told us that he cannot forbid his guests to smoke (which is not true, of course he can, but they then will not come again as other innkeepers allow them to smoke).

Many innkeepers do not kick smokers out when they smoke in rooms that should be reserved for non smokers and moreover the separation in most cases works very poorly. Not even in public buildings where smoking is forbidden by the law, this really works out as typically there are places in the buildings where the smokers gather and are tolerated there by the authorities. What would be needed is a rigorous law which forbids smoking in all restaurants, coffee houses etc as then the argument about lost money would not work any longer in the way it does now as I do not believe that Austrians are more addicted to tobacco than people in most places around the world.

Cezanne

I've just submitted my first event for review for the ISS Travel Bug celebration. It is planned to be held at "Planet" bowl (for obvious reasons). I hope people mingle and bowl a game or two. Perhaps I'll throw in a travel bug to the cacher who has the highest score. Actually, I just hope people sign up and show up.

The funny thing, I never said if I like Geo Bingo or not, just why some event hosts add it to their event. My point is that I like smaller, less organized events where the locals and maybe some out of town-ers show up. That can be at the pizza place, the local park or at the viewpoint at the end of a two mile trail.

The big annual everyone from every corner of the region shows up, turned out to be a big disappointment, mostly because I considered it to be too long and way over-organized.

The funny thing, I never said if I like Geo Bingo or not, just why some event hosts add it to their event.

When you wrote "is great ....." I understood it that way. Personally, I do not refer to anything as great that I do not like at all.

My point is that I like smaller, less organized events where the locals and maybe some out of town-ers show up. That can be at the pizza place, the local park or at the viewpoint at the end of a two mile trail.

I also prefer smaller events, but I prefer outdoor ones and your first posting sounded like the fact that the event takes place in a pizza place plays a central role for you.

Personally, I also prefer less exposition to food on events. Another reason to prefer hiking events.

Cezanne

I just held my thrid annual "Armada" event. They are 5-6 miles of paddling, with a stop for lunch along the way (each year with a different theme). The last two years they were along the same stretch of river (and will be from here on out) - there's a canoe camp halfway through that makes for a nice stop. It has a rope swing and a fire ring for cooking up lunch. It can be reached via a 3 mile hike as well. They have been going so well, we actually took to teh road and I held an Armada event in New Hampshire. We'll be going back next year to NH as well!

I used to do simple raffles for the few prizes I give out, but that's not very fun. For some of my indoor events I use simple trivia contests, or similar things to pick winners (for trivia quizzes, I always award a prize to a random person - say, someone who only got two questions right).

For the outdoor events, we do silly games live "Cookie Toss" - try to get the oreo cookie closest to a target (long storry on how that game came about), or Gator Golf (kid's game). Everyone has fun laughing at each other.

I no longer hide caches for an event. I also move them to the afternoon, so people go out caching in the area, and use the event as a wrap-up to the day. Peopel just hang out, relax, and maybe have a burger.

Haff a lie down on meinen couch und vee see vat der problem ist.

I tink you suffer a common phenomena een US - Ordinarius Neurosis. In otter verds you tink you efent not EXTREME enoff. You media ist vul of EXTREME dis und SONTAG! SONTAG! SONTAG! dot. Ach, Du lieber! Sie muss nicht giff in to das Monster Kool-aid or Rot Bull getrinken! Juss remember, iz how irhe guests enjoy themzelfs ist was gematter most! Nichts mit das fretzen un geworryink. Relaxen un watchen das log signen und Eventen unfolden.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Me thinks I need to be more extreme, develop an intricate game or activity, when most seem to just enjoy sitting, chatting, and getting to know their fellow cachers. A

friend long ago taught me the K.I.S.S method (Keep It Simple Stupid). It seems that is good advice for an event too. In fact, I enjoy the simple act of direct communication with cachers I know and those I don't.

I just held my thrid annual "Armada" event. They are 5-6 miles of paddling, with a stop for lunch along the way (each year with a different theme). The last two years they were along the same stretch of river (and will be from here on out) - there's a canoe camp halfway through that makes for a nice stop. It has a rope swing and a fire ring for cooking up lunch. It can be reached via a 3 mile hike as well. They have been going so well, we actually took to teh road and I held an Armada event in New Hampshire. We'll be going back next year to NH as well!

I used to do simple raffles for the few prizes I give out, but that's not very fun. For some of my indoor events I use simple trivia contests, or similar things to pick winners (for trivia quizzes, I always award a prize to a random person - say, someone who only got two questions right).

For the outdoor events, we do silly games live "Cookie Toss" - try to get the oreo cookie closest to a target (long storry on how that game came about), or Gator Golf (kid's game). Everyone has fun laughing at each other.

I no longer hide caches for an event. I also move them to the afternoon, so people go out caching in the area, and use the event as a wrap-up to the day. Peopel just hang out, relax, and maybe have a burger.

I tend to hide new ones but I understand the issue with it too. I went to an event where I stood at event GZ chatting while people came, signed in, and then hit the trails to cache. I met and chatted with maybe 50% of attendees while some I never knew even came out. The focus tends to be caching when its an area of unfound caches. Yet, you get everybody to a restaurant at night and the focus is on food and fellowship.

Don't get me going on raffles. Nothing takes the wind out of the sails of an event for me faster than sitting for 45 minutes to an hour listening to someone read off numbers. I realized they help pay for the events, but instead of 50 prizes how about 5 nicer ones? Or do what was done at a mega I attended last year. The tickets were drawn in front of a few witnesses to make sure it was on the up and up. Then a sign with all of the winning numbers was posted and ticket holders could stop by at their leisure to see if they won. I'm not sure what they did with any unclaimed prizes, but they could be recycled for a future event, or donated to charity.

Edited by briansnat
Don't get me going on raffles. Nothing takes the wind out of the sails of an event for me faster than sitting for 45 minutes to an hour listening to someone read of numbers. I realized they help pay for the events, but instead of 50 prizes how about 5 nicer ones?
Amen.

I first learned this principle at a company Christmas party where they were giving away $100 bills, using employee numbers as raffle numbers. The first few were interesting. The next few were okay. But as they continued to give away thousands of dollars, $100 at a time, it became mind-numbingly boring.

I've become a bit jaded with the routine beer and wings meet n greet events at the local sports bar that are popular here. I will still attend as I do enjoy visiting with geopals, but really enjoy the 'other' events that have popped on the calendar this year. I have attended a dog walking event on a local greenway, and a large (18' tall stack pre-ignition) bonfire event at a cachers home already this year.

I hosted an event at a new bowling alley/bistro that was well received. There was plenty of room for those who opted out of the bowling to sit and watch and eat/drink on the sofas and chairs behind the lanes.

I have my eyes on an indoor mini golf course as the venue for my next event. I'm just waiting for colder weather.