Pocket queries for a different address

mluostari

Forgive me if I'm probably the millionth person to ask this, but I can't seem to figure this out. I'm going on vacation soon and want to run a pocket query for the area around the hotel I'm staying at. How do I put this address in without changing my home location? If I have to change my home address, will the query still run using that address after I change it back to my regular address? Some help would be appreciated.

Forgive me if I'm probably the millionth person to ask this, but I can't seem to figure this out. I'm going on vacation soon and want to run a pocket query for the area around the hotel I'm staying at. How do I put this address in without changing my home location? If I have to change my home address, will the query still run using that address after I change it back to my regular address? Some help would be appreciated.

What I do is use mapping software or a mapping Web site to determine the geographic coordinates of the hotel you'll be staying at, then use those coordinates as the center point (origin) when you create the pocket query. That way, there's no need to change your home location.

--Larry

I usually look at the caching maps and select a cache near where we will be staying as the center point for a pq using the gc code. The pq form also gives you the option of using a zip code or specific coordinates. Any of these would work without changing your home location.

Edited by geodarts

Another option would be to use the Hide and Seek a cache under the Play menu using the address of where you are staying. After the results show up, click on "Map this location" above the list. Zoom out and move around until the map encompasses all the caches you wish to search for. Click on "Save as Pocket Query" on the left sidebar (might have to scroll the sidebar to see it). Now name the pocket query, change any options you wish to, then run it.

One more alternate approach is to:

Use the "Search in Geocaching Maps" icon in your profile page,

Navigate to the area you would like to cache in (zoom in and out for total area you would like covered),

"Toggle the Side panel" on the left hand side (arrow),

then use the "Save as Pocket Query" option at the bottom of the menu,

Adjust Pocket Query settings as necessary, and

Save/Run the Query.