Questions for owners of the Garmin GLO

I just connected my GLO to the ipad but it will not connect to the iphone at the same time - connecting to the iphone similarly prevented an ipad connection. I have not had any luck with more than one connection at a time.

Thanks for the confirmation.

May I ask what you're using the GLO for?

I used it on a recent trip to Scotland - having it so we could run Navigon (and other offline maps) with the ipad was much easier and faster than the internal gpsr on the phone or the handheld. I tried it today with the phone when hiking into a forested area for a cache, but I am not sure if it offered any advantages.

Garmin just released new firmware allowing the GLO to connect to four devices at once. It also helps prevent the unit from being turned on accidentally.

That's awesome!

Are you aware of any iOS apps that can pair up with the GLO and then record a tracklog at an interval of 1 second?

I have never researched this. I am aware of certain reviews that have compared tracking information from the GLO with various handhelds, but don't know what rate was being recorded.

One interesting thing about its use with iOS is that garmin states that the GLO boosts the internal gpsr on devices that have this rather than replace or override the existing gpsr. According to Bad Elf, the iOS will take whatever source is considered the best and go with that. Perhaps that explains why the GLO often seems to make no difference when I have tested it with my iphone.

I wish Apple let apps report the number of satellites that are being accessed. It would be interesting to compare that kind of information. The closest I have found is the way that Motion X reports signal quality, but that is not quite what I was seeking to learn.

The GLO was invaluable for voice routing on the ipad, and it did pick up signals faster than the iphone in some locations when we were overseas and blocked cellular roaming. But I am still hoping to test battery life and other issues when using the GLO for extended hikes away from service.

Edited by geodarts

Garmin just released new firmware allowing the GLO to connect to four devices at once. It also helps prevent the unit from being turned on accidentally.

That's awesome!

Are you aware of any iOS apps that can pair up with the GLO and then record a tracklog at an interval of 1 second?

I have never researched this. I am aware of certain reviews that have compared tracking information from the GLO with various handhelds, but don't know what rate was being recorded.

One interesting thing about its use with iOS is that garmin states that the GLO boosts the internal gpsr on devices that have this rather than replace or override the existing gpsr. According to Bad Elf, the iOS will take whatever source is considered the best and go with that. Perhaps that explains why the GLO often seems to make no difference when I have tested it with my iphone.

I wish Apple let apps report the number of satellites that are being accessed. It would be interesting to compare that kind of information. The closest I have found is the way that Motion X reports signal quality, but that is not quite what I was seeking to learn.

The GLO was invaluable for voice routing on the ipad, and it did pick up signals faster than the iphone in some locations when we were overseas and blocked cellular roaming. But I am still hoping to test battery life and other issues when using the GLO for extended hikes away from service.

Thanks for the response. Have you tested that the GLO will indeed work reliably with multiple devices now that the latest firmware allows up to 4 devices to be used simultaneously? I'm assuming that even with 4 connected devices, there won't be be any bandwidth limitations to transmit all 10hz/second of information to them all. Do you foresee any possible issues using both the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and the Google Nexus 7 (2013) with the GLO simultaneously?