Does a cache HAVE to have a log book?

stargirl73

Hi all. It's a straight forward question but I can't find a straight forward answer. I have an idea for a sneaky cache but I won't be able to fit a log in it. I was hoping to leave a code that finders would have to contact me with to claim the cache. Does that constitute a puzzle cache? Or do I have to make it a multi, folks using the code in the first cache to find a traditional cache with a log in it? Would rather do the former but if I have to do the latter, I will. Am sure this has been done before but it's not something I've come across in my searches. Thanks :)

Hi all. It's a straight forward question but I can't find a straight forward answer. I have an idea for a sneaky cache but I won't be able to fit a log in it. I was hoping to leave a code that finders would have to contact me with to claim the cache. Does that constitute a puzzle cache? Or do I have to make it a multi, folks using the code in the first cache to find a traditional cache with a log in it? Would rather do the former but if I have to do the latter, I will. Am sure this has been done before but it's not something I've come across in my searches. Thanks :)

Not sure how much more straight-forward of an answer you need.

From the guidelines: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

"Geocache Contents

Geocache containers include a logsheet or logbook.

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook, scroll or other type of log for geocachers to record their visit."

And meant to add, yes, the way to do it would be as a multi as you proposed.

Edited by KoosKoos
I was hoping to leave a code that finders would have to contact me with to claim the cache. Does that constitute a puzzle cache?
What you are describing is called a keyword cache. They are no longer allowed.

Another option would be to list a multi-stage cache. The first stage could use the hide technique you have in mind, but instead of a code or keyword, it would have information that would be used to locate the final stage.