Device recovery near Current River in SE Missouri

Flying_Garbagecan

I have a few questions about this, looking at the topos for the coordinates it is on a very steep hill or even a bluff, is this a placed device or something like a weather balloon the just ended up there? It could be a river monitor where we could go by boat or should one try from above through the woods? And how big is it and what does it weigh? I would like a few details before attempting this quest.

JIm

Thanks for the interest guys.

The unit came down by air. It's attached to one of those large latex weather balloons. It's a 4 inch diameter fiberglass tube, about a foot long, and weighs about 8 pounds. It should still have the balloon attached, although I'm sure the balloon is pretty well shredded by the trees by now. We got about 9 successful position reports after it landed, all of which put it right on the edge of the river. But it doesn't look like it fell into the water, so it might be hung up in a tree or something. We're not sure.

Here's the coordinate centroid of the 9 position reports we got from its GPS:

37.132216, -91.154853

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks!