Safest way to hide an LPC

ivorybilledbirder

One way to determine if there is a nest of some sort, is to use your hiking stick (or something like that) and rap on the LPC, looking for buzzing varmints. This method probably won't do much good if spiders are in residence. As to the permission issue, you must determine the owner of the property - which may or may not be the owner of the store. Many shopping centers are owned by real estate developers, not necessarily the store which inhabits the center.

Good Luck.

I'm not necessarily degrading it. It's a snake-in-a-can. :lol:

I thank the first poster, just in case I do get permission from wherever I hide it.

Or maybe a guardrail would be better... what do you think? We live in DE, that's pretty much what most of the hides are like.

What I really want is for the finder to expect an easy C&D, but then... :blink:

I saw one of those in a birdhouse once. Scared the heck out of my niece. I laughed.

I thank the first poster, just in case I do get permission from wherever I hide it.

Or maybe a guardrail would be better... what do you think? We live in DE, that's pretty much what most of the hides are like.

I saw one of those in a birdhouse once. Scared the heck out of my niece. I laughed.

I put the CO on my Ignore List. That's just nasty.

I'm pretty familiar with DE and I cache there often. I tend to avoid any LPC/GRC hides. I will say this though....there's LOTS of great parks in DE that have plenty of space for caches. There's never a good reason to bring somebody to a lamp post in a parking lot or a guard rail on the side of the road.

I remember one of my first finds was one of the "snake in a can" hides. It was in Pennington park in Delran, NJ. I thought it was pretty hilarious. I don't think it would've been nearly as memorable if it were in a lamp post.

I'm pretty familiar with DE and I cache there often. I tend to avoid any LPC/GRC hides. I will say this though....there's LOTS of great parks in DE that have plenty of space for caches. There's never a good reason to bring somebody to a lamp post in a parking lot or a guard rail on the side of the road.

I remember one of my first finds was one of the "snake in a can" hides. It was in Pennington park in Delran, NJ. I thought it was pretty hilarious. I don't think it would've been nearly as memorable if it were in a lamp post.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But the only parks near me are muggle central stations. I hid a cache there and it was muggled in less than a month... twice...

Any advice of how to get around this?

Maybe hide it farther from the entrance?

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But the only parks near me are muggle central stations. I hid a cache there and it was muggled in less than a month... twice...

Any advice of how to get around this?

Maybe hide it farther from the entrance?

Hide it better, further into the park. Find a wooded section of the park that's less traveled, cover the cache well. If you worry that cachers may have issues finding it, then simply have a powerful hint and make sure your coordinates are spot on.

If you've had caches taken in parks before than use it as a learning experience. Did you hide them out of the public eye? Did you hide them well? Most cachers don't mind a nice long walk for a good quality cache.

Another thing to consider is that maybe if the park you placed your cache in is just too popular for a cache to last. Take a look at the other caches there, do they go missing often? If so, then you know it's a problem with the park, if not, then maybe it's the location/way you've hidden your cache.

As far as "muggle central", most lamp posts hides are subject to the same issues, but more so because parking lots are generally much busier than a local park. But in any case, this sounds like it'll be a real fun cache and I hope you find a nice location to place it.

While I'm someone who dislikes a nano in a traffic sign and someone who would probably dislike LPC hides if I'd ever come to the US, I think there's a time and place for anything and a good CO can make an LPC hide exciting and fun.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product. I wouldn't put a cache on my ignore list because it happens to be an LPC.

+1

This park is next to our neighborhood, so it's kind of small...

But now that I think about it, the park does go back far. But there's still no trails.

Still, an LPC would probably be a handful to get permission for. But how do they pop up so quickly?

They pop up so often and so quickly simply because people just don't bother getting permission for them for the most part. They just go on some business property and shove something up under the lamp skirt. That's another reason why I try to avoid them....most are hidden without any permission. But if you really must put your cache in a parking lot lamp post, I would suggest inquiring with whichever business you're putting it on the property of. Ask the manager for their permission to bring people to the location via geocaching. Although, I really hope you don't put out an LPC. Why not look for a different park in your area?

I found a snake in a can once too. It was inside an ammo can.