Data cable for etrex

trevorh7000

Hi All

I seem to have misplaced my serial data cable for the etrex. It has that flat plug with 4 contacts. The cable that garmin will sell me for an exorbitant price. I bought one from a guy who makes them up for R200 (Still expensive but a lot cheaper than garmin)

Does anyone have one lying about that they no longer use - it really is essential as with out it my yellow etrex becomes a dog and I have to load caches by hand and can't download tracklogs.

I intended to take it overseas with me but never saw it during my travels so I assumed I left it at home - but I can't locate it at the moment.

Thanks

Trev

Have you searched the internet for instructions to make your own cable? It can be done although it might not look as pretty as a Garmin cable. If you're desperate enough, then surely, a home-made cable is better than no cable?

Yes Andre! it is easiy enough to make from an old credit card to make the plastic part and a old serial mouse cable - then no soldering is required!!!!\

I think it only uses 3 of the wires!

Any one have a old serial mouse they no longer need - will be going to a good cause! Or any other

I did email the pfranc for SA Kalle, the guy who I bought my cable from, but sadly he has not replied - on his website he states Larry pfranc number 1 and manufacturer of the plugs has passed away so I am not sure where that leaves the project. I will keep trying to reach Kalle or another pfranc

http://www.pfranc.com/

Trev