Geocoinfest 2013 Event Coins

Bartians

Thanks. They look nice. I understand the reds are proxies. Do the 6 others have 6 different tracking numbers or 1 tracking number per pair? Is the only differentiating feature the the metal? Looks difficult to put in a binder page. blink.gif Last years mongo pans don't fit well either.

Thanks. They look nice. I understand the reds are proxies. Do the 6 others have 6 different tracking numbers or 1 tracking number per pair? Is the only differentiating feature the the metal? Looks difficult to put in a binder page. blink.gif Last years mongo pans don't fit well either.

Only one tracking number per pair.

Left (black nickel) is the 'Friends of ...' $100 donation 'coin'. Middle (silver) is the Regular version. Right (copper) is the $100 'top level coin'.

Tracking numbers have been an issue we've been trying to figure out. Each set of 4 dice (2 metal, 2 red copies) ALL bear the same tracking number. That's 4 die's with the same number. IF we were to release a metal version to travel we could only release one. Then the copies become pointless too. With 4 identical tracking numbers only one can travel and one (or the remaining 3) could be kept for 'discovery only'. Doesn't make any sense any way we try to figure it out. Anyone have any ideas ???

Because they are dice, there's no way to keep 2 metals or 2 copies 'together' for travel without drilling holes through them for chains or super-gluing them together, hiding one of the numbers. If the 'pair' got separated while traveling there would be TWO identical numbers traveling and logging would become a nearly impossible situation. This also means there is no way to attach a mission card or statement with the traveler as we do with chained travel tags or 'coins' in plastic flip-sleeves. Unfortunately, 2 loose items in one zip-baggie don't stay together very long.

Binder page? Not gonna happen. Metal die's are 3/4" x 3/4" cubed and the copies are 15/16" x 15/16" cubed. My coin addict collector is not a happy camper when she cannot share her collection at events and these make themselves non-transportable in any reasonable fashion. :(

Not to mention ... one coin in only several metals for a MEGA GCF .... :blink:

"Not to mention ... one coin in only several metals for a MEGA GCF .... "

They're pretty neat looking but not very practical. Would have to find some different way to store. Seems like a bit of a deviation from last year's GCF event coins. Last year I got 6 coins with matching proxies for a reasonable price. :cry: These are a bit out of my price range. They will probably go for big bucks on Ebay.

Left (black nickel) is the 'Friends of ...' $100 donation 'coin'. Middle (silver) is the Regular version. Right (copper) is the $100 'top level coin'.

Tracking numbers have been an issue we've been trying to figure out. Each set of 4 dice (2 metal, 2 red copies) ALL bear the same tracking number. That's 4 die's with the same number. IF we were to release a metal version to travel we could only release one. Then the copies become pointless too. With 4 identical tracking numbers only one can travel and one (or the remaining 3) could be kept for 'discovery only'. Doesn't make any sense any way we try to figure it out. Anyone have any ideas ???

Because they are dice, there's no way to keep 2 metals or 2 copies 'together' for travel without drilling holes through them for chains or super-gluing them together, hiding one of the numbers. If the 'pair' got separated while traveling there would be TWO identical numbers traveling and logging would become a nearly impossible situation. This also means there is no way to attach a mission card or statement with the traveler as we do with chained travel tags or 'coins' in plastic flip-sleeves. Unfortunately, 2 loose items in one zip-baggie don't stay together very long.

Binder page? Not gonna happen. Metal die's are 3/4" x 3/4" cubed and the copies are 15/16" x 15/16" cubed. My coin addict collector is not a happy camper when she cannot share her collection at events and these make themselves non-transportable in any reasonable fashion. :(

Not to mention ... one coin in only several metals for a MEGA GCF .... :blink:

Ah but if you do release one of the die and it gets "lost" (we all know what that is) then you have 3 more to for the same mission release to travel :) Not that I would release these beauties :ph34r:

Displaying them or sharing them with others is simple as is a game of craps :huh: to think of it I don't know if craps is easy to understand cause I don't play it :blink: but if at an event think of the games that could be played, rolling the dice to win a prize :rolleyes: but I do see your point on placing them in a binder (which I don't do).

I think the Black nickel is the LE version "top level coin" and the Copper is the the Friends of GCF.

9cbcfed2-cc34-484e-9d14-c2472534e5c0.jpg06e53a79-5ab6-46aa-a74f-1ab7e1075613.jpg

Well I was surprised at the official geocoinfest coins. I was expecting a "different" coin for the Friends of Geocoinfest for my $100. I guess I just might be partial to my Geocoinfest 2013 geocoins. Black Nickel were Regular Edition and the Gold were the XLE edition (25 minted). I sold out of the XLEs and have a few of the Black Nickels left if anyone is interested. They are 3" coins that are 5MM thick with revolving acrylic dice (choice of red, white or pink dice) on a watch pin that are 7MM size dice. Regular editions are $18 with pathtags and $3.50 shipping in the US. (I sold out of the red dice.)

Edited by mo pirate

I think the Black nickel is the LE version "top level coin" and the Copper is the the Friends of GCF.

Don't think so ... unless someone erred in our packet. We DID NOT do the $100 'Friends' add-on. We got two sets (for the $100 'top chip level') - Silver and Copper. No Black Nickel.

9cbcfed2-cc34-484e-9d14-c2472534e5c0.jpg06e53a79-5ab6-46aa-a74f-1ab7e1075613.jpg

Well I was surprised at the official geocoinfest coins. I was expecting a "different" coin for the Friends of Geocoinfest for my $100. I guess I just might be partial to my Geocoinfest 2013 geocoins. Black Nickel were Regular Edition and the Gold were the XLE edition (25 minted). I sold out of the XLEs and have a few of the Black Nickels left if anyone is interested. They are 3" coins that are 5MM thick with revolving acrylic dice (choice of red, white or pink dice) on a watch pin that are 7MM size dice. Regular editions are $18 with pathtags and $3.50 shipping in the US. (I sold out of the red dice.)

Now THIS vendor had some really COOOOOOOL event coins and tags designed just for Vegas. The one with the red dice is my favorite.

9cbcfed2-cc34-484e-9d14-c2472534e5c0.jpg

Oh yeah, I LIKE this one! That's a beauty. :)

thank you and I hope you got one of them!

MO Pirate

One of the best coins that I have seen in a long time.

I appreciate that!!!

thanks, mo pirate

I appreciate that!!!

thanks, mo pirate

Any of the white dice left? Would be interested in 2-3 of them - shipping to germany.

I appreciate that!!!

thanks, mo pirate

yes i can do 3 with white dice on black nickel coins. $18 each plus about $20 shipping to Germany. Just paypal me at packerbacker31@hotmail.com.

Any of the white dice left? Would be interested in 2-3 of them - shipping to germany.

thank you and I hope you got one of them!

MO Pirate

Nope. Not yet! :P

Do you have pictures of the black nickel versions?

I am interested in a white dice coin shipped in U.S.

Do you have pictures of the black nickel versions?

I am interested in a white dice coin shipped in U.S.

the bottom picture of the front/back is the black nickel version with pathtag. shipping in US is $3.50 as these are big 3" x 5mm thick coins.

yes i can do 3 with white dice on black nickel coins. $18 each plus about $20 shipping to Germany. Just paypal me at packerbacker31@hotmail.com.

How much would shipping be for 2 coins instead of 3? then i can decide, if i take 2 or 3 - thanks. :)

these are big 3" x 5mm thick coins so they are heavy and we all know that the postage went trhough the roof last year. I think postage for one is about $12.00 so 3 for $20 may cost me to do that. It would probably be about $18 for 2. I will check.

Red was the color dice I bought. Too bad your wife didn't tell me about the gold, I would have gotten one of those too as I was browseing before they opened the doors.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Red was the color dice I bought. Too bad your wife didn't tell me about the gold, I would have gotten one of those too as I was browseing before they opened the doors.

Woulda been nice to meet you again.

sorry but we were seting up and placing things as they came out of the boxes. I see Avroair has one on ebay for a price!

these are big 3" x 5mm thick coins so they are heavy and we all know that the postage went trhough the roof last year. I think postage for one is about $12.00 so 3 for $20 may cost me to do that. It would probably be about $18 for 2. I will check.

Thanks

Looks like I can do 2 coins for $13.99 shipping so 17.00 for 3. Wish it was cheaper! Let me know ASAP so I have them available for you.

Thanks

Looks like I can do 2 coins for $13.99 shipping so 17.00 for 3. Wish it was cheaper! Let me know ASAP so I have them available for you.

Thanks, i´ll take 2 please.

Back to the 'Official' Geocoinfest 2013 Event Coins (as noted in the thread title :) ) ... We've decided to sell our extra set of the official event dice/coins. I don't e-place as a seller ... so here's the deal ...

1 set (2 die and 2 proxies) Regular Edition event dice (silver) and 1 set (2 die and 2 proxies) Limited Edition event dice (copper) are available. Will sell at less than what is being bid currently ($81-$102.50) on the e-place for the silver set and about the same for the copper Limited Edition. (saves on bidding over those e-prices ... B) )

Free shipping within the USPS, international at cost of shipping.

E-mail through profile if you are interested. Would consider a trade on the silver set for a blue Tardis / Dr Who geocoin ... ;)

Each set includes the event dice gift box and velvet pouch for the proxies.

0d51ec6b-1396-4476-9279-f23de0866fff.jpg

(pic is 'borrowed' ... but this IS the official event set.

Edited by nevadanick

Back to the 'Official' Geocoinfest 2013 Event Coins (as noted in the thread title :) ) ... We've decided to sell our extra set of the official event dice/coins. I don't e-place as a seller ... so here's the deal ...

1 set (2 die and 2 proxies) Regular Edition event dice (silver) and 1 set (2 die and 2 proxies) Limited Edition event dice (copper) are available. Will sell at less than what is being bid currently ($81-$102.50) on the e-place for the silver set and about the same for the copper Limited Edition. (saves on bidding over those e-prices ... B) )

Free shipping within the USPS, international at cost of shipping.

E-mail through profile if you are interested. Would consider a trade on the silver set for a blue Tardis / Dr Who geocoin ... ;)

Each set includes the event dice gift box and velvet pouch for the proxies.

0d51ec6b-1396-4476-9279-f23de0866fff.jpg

(pic is 'borrowed' ... but this IS the official event set.

Spoken for, paid for and shipped today.

Thanks all for the inquiries. :)

While I can't claim the idea was mine, I thought it was pretty ingenious and I enjoyed being a part of the project. I really thought the idea of a pair of Vegas Casino-spec dice for a coin was pretty clever. I'm surprised by some of the reactions here about having a pair of dice though. I like to keep a pulse on what people like and dislike though so I'm hoping for a bit more feedback. I think people would have been very disappointed if they had received only one die. That just wouldn't make sense. Since it's a pair, why wouldn't you put the code on both? Obviously most people are not as hard on their coins as I am so they won't be rolling the real deal at future geo-get-togethers and a pair of proxies for play makes more sense. Again, why wouldn't they both have codes? (By the way, if you do send out one of yours and it goes awol, the proxies can be replaced. They made hundreds of backups pairs that can be engraved with your tracking codes if you lose one.)

They went crazy fast so most people definitely liked the idea, but I'm curious to hear from those who didn't. What do you think would have worked better using the same idea of a set of dice made to Casino specs? Attached to each other or free so they actually function as intended? Maybe some way to hook them together later? Throw some ideas out there if you have them, I'm always looking to learn! :)

While I can't claim the idea was mine, I thought it was pretty ingenious and I enjoyed being a part of the project. I really thought the idea of a pair of Vegas Casino-spec dice for a coin was pretty clever. I'm surprised by some of the reactions here about having a pair of dice though. I like to keep a pulse on what people like and dislike though so I'm hoping for a bit more feedback. I think people would have been very disappointed if they had received only one die. That just wouldn't make sense. Since it's a pair, why wouldn't you put the code on both? Obviously most people are not as hard on their coins as I am so they won't be rolling the real deal at future geo-get-togethers and a pair of proxies for play makes more sense. Again, why wouldn't they both have codes? (By the way, if you do send out one of yours and it goes awol, the proxies can be replaced. They made hundreds of backups pairs that can be engraved with your tracking codes if you lose one.)

They went crazy fast so most people definitely liked the idea, but I'm curious to hear from those who didn't. What do you think would have worked better using the same idea of a set of dice made to Casino specs? Attached to each other or free so they actually function as intended? Maybe some way to hook them together later? Throw some ideas out there if you have them, I'm always looking to learn! :)

For me personally, I like different things and these were different. HOWEVER, these being the OFFICIAL geocoins for this MEGA event were lacking (in my opinion) as "too simple" for such an event. Negative Sleep doing the Jukebox as a HUGE coin with 2 record pathtags was wonderful for MOGA 2012. I imagined a working Roulette Wheel with a dome and maybe a tiny ball bearing that rolled around. Maybe a pathtag on the bottom that would have the center of the red/black wheel?

Basically that is what I was thinking so that is why I did mine with Dice on a pin that rolled with the diagonal hole thru the dice. I also wanted to incorporate the Vegas strip/skyline with the coin so that is why I did mine the way I did. The back of mine gave me the dice again on the felt table with a glitter phrase "Let the Good Times Roll!" Having mine very colorful was also a plus I think.

I also was disappointed the XLE geocoin only available to Friends of Geocoinfest for an extra $100 were the same coins with a different finish. I was expecting areal elaborate coin (a working one arm bandit?) or whatever NOT another of the same.

Again, just my own opinion, as I have heard some really like the big Dice. With that being said, I have a pair of the silver and a pair of the Copper available for someone to purchase from me at below ebay prices too. We (MO Pirate and Sho me da cache)each got a pair so I will keep only one of each set. Please email me with inquiry.

Clever? Not!

Different? UMmmm ... sort of.

As a 'mega event' coin? Disappointed.

As dice being all THREE of the event coins? Triple disappointed.

Now the 'why' ... keep in mind we've only been to several years worth of events and only one other GCF in Denver, so we have limited 'experience', but my partner coin addict already has over 125 pounds of geocoins. I know this ... she coins ... I carry ... :laughing:

One problem, all 4 items (2 coins, 2 proxies) have the same code. No matter how you do it, only 1 coin/die or one proxy can be released. Two proxies cannot travel at the same time without creating serious logging problems. If the proxies go out as a 'set' and later get separated (but cachers would 'never' do that :anitongue: ) there are 2 duplicate codes out traveling. Keeping track of old coins, new coins, trade coins, etc, I can't imagine a collector keeping one 'spare' proxy die 'somewhere' on standby for a year+ waiting for the first traveler to go MIA.

We love taking the coin 'collection' to events to be discovered. There is no way to add 'dice' cubes reasonably to a binder sheet. Ours would NOT attend events or be seen by anyone else unless they came to the house.

I wouldn't even begin to suggest 'hooking' travelers together in any fashion other than obliterating one code on 1 proxy and super gluing that 'defaced-face' to the other proxy, then drilling a hole through one (or both) to create a method to attach a mission card, etc. They will never stay together in one zip-baggie.

In general terms, the 'dice' idea as the ONLY idea for a MEGA event coin ... was terrible. :( ... Those who attended and paid for the THREE versions of dice as the ONLY official event coin now have TWELVE dice with THREE codes in THREE metals ... for $200. IMO, with the creative minds behind a MEGA GEOCOINFEST there could have been some truly awesome official coins for that price ... and there should have been. It reminds me of the t-shirt that says: "my geocaching family went to Geocoinfest 2013 Las Vegas and all I got was this pair of dice". Folks spend a lot of time and money traveling to a Mega COINfest (gas, airfare, rentals, etc), weekend hotel expenses, meals and more ... for a pair of dice. :blink:

There were so many good options to explore. Las Vegas is ... chips, coins, money, poker cards, blackjack, roulette, slots, Big Wheel, keno, bingo, fountains, mega casinos, brand names, the Strip, Fremont Experience, nightlife/shows, theme parks, the skyline, food, ... and, oh yes ... dice.

BTW - casino spec dice can be obtained at almost every Vegas gift shop and even some casinos that sell their 'used/shaved' dice with brand names on them. Those can be easily drilled for a travel tag chain for a few bucks.

Brand me a Grinch ... but overall this gets a complete 'thumbs-down' from us. :( ... We already sold both our sets.

Edited by nevadanick

For me personally, I like different things and these were different. HOWEVER, these being the OFFICIAL geocoins for this MEGA event were lacking (in my opinion) as "too simple" for such an event. I imagined a working Roulette Wheel with a dome and maybe a tiny ball bearing that rolled around.

I also was disappointed the XLE geocoin only available to Friends of Geocoinfest for an extra $100 were the same coins with a different finish. I was expecting areal elaborate coin (a working one arm bandit?) or whatever NOT another of the same.

Hmmm... interesting points.

"Too simple" is a very interesting response in itself. The fact that it looks simple is a HUGE compliment to the fact that they were able to produce them at all. The mint actually had to build a whole new system of production to create these. A coin simply has 2 sides and a die for each. A die has 6 sides and no place to make a clean extraction point from the molds without scarring the coins. It was a tremendous effort to make it possible to provide these clean and then to have all the pips in the right polar directions, too. Frankly, the mint said from the start they were doubtful that it could be done well and wanted to make changes right from the start that would have limited the ability to actually use them as a real set of dice.

A working roulette is pretty cool if it actually worked smoothly. XLE's are generally the same coin with a different finish/enameling so I'm not sure why anyone would expect a different coin all together, but having more than one coin could be a cool incentive, too. Thanks for the input! :)

edit 4 too spel

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Clever? Not!

Different? UMmmm ... sort of.

As a 'mega event' coin? Disappointed.

As dice being all THREE of the event coins? Triple disappointed.

Now the 'why' ... keep in mind we've only been to several years worth of events and only one other GCF in Denver, so we have limited 'experience', but my partner coin addict already has over 125 pounds of geocoins. I know this ... she coins ... I carry ... :laughing:

One problem, all 4 items (2 coins, 2 proxies) have the same code. No matter how you do it, only 1 coin/die or one proxy can be released. Two proxies cannot travel at the same time without creating serious logging problems. If the proxies go out as a 'set' and later get separated (but cachers would 'never' do that :anitongue: ) there are 2 duplicate codes out traveling. Keeping track of old coins, new coins, trade coins, etc, I can't imagine a collector keeping one 'spare' proxy die 'somewhere' on standby for a year+ waiting for the first traveler to go MIA.

We love taking the coin 'collection' to events to be discovered. There is no way to add 'dice' cubes reasonably to a binder sheet. Ours would NOT attend events or be seen by anyone else unless they came to the house.

I wouldn't even begin to suggest 'hooking' travelers together in any fashion other than obliterating one code on 1 proxy and super gluing that 'defaced-face' to the other proxy, then drilling a hole through one (or both) to create a method to attach a mission card, etc. They will never stay together in one zip-baggie.

In general terms, the 'dice' idea as the ONLY idea for a MEGA event coin ... was terrible. :(

I guess "clever" applies more to the fact that a lot of thought went into the process of actually producing them and that they can actually be used at events in the future forever.

Obviously you're disappointed and that's unfortunate for the coin producers. This is a chance to learn what could have been better though so...

You mention having a matching set with matching codes being a problem. I'm not seeing the problem in this case though. Coin pairs have been made with identical codes almost from the beginning so that's not exactly new. Having a proxy set match the coins exactly is pretty much the whole point. You have twice as many chances to have a trackable out traveling, too. Not sure how this is a problem or a bad thing in anyone's book.

I love taking coins to events, too, for trade and discovery. I do realize these wouldn't travel in a binder, but I don't assume that's the only way for them to travel either. I've seen quite a few coins that don't or can't travel in a binder. I own a bunch like that and have to admit they don't travel with me in a binder either. I know these are all supposed to travel in caches, but the reality is we do carry them around. I don't know how to solve that problem for this coin set or any of the others with the same problem, but it's something I'll have to continue to think about. Mine are sitting on top of my coin rack because they don't fit in it. Of course that means people pick them up faster which has an appeal all its own, too. Thank you for mentioning it!

You mentioned not hooking travelers together, but that's pretty much the basis of every TravelBug I've ever seen personally. A tag attached to a trackable item that often has the code on it as well. I suppose they could be chained, glued or affixed in any number of interesting ways, but the idea of actually using them as real dice would then be altered. I don't know how that could be changed other than to permanently affix them together or only release one proxy at a time to travel. Have to think on that one. In the case of the matching proxies, would you have preferred to see a single coin-style proxy of the pair as opposed to a matched set?

I'm not sure I understand the idea that a Mega event SHOULD have more than a single event coin. Don't get me wrong, I like to see as many cool coins as possible, but I don't ever expect to see more than one official coin. This is a bit of a new development in the last year or two to see more than one official coin. I kinda thought having an official coin being a single design was the whole point of it being "official" and I'm not a fan of the idea myself, but things do change.

I'm glad you found good homes for you coins since you didn't enjoy them yourselves though. Thank you for your input, too. I appreciate when someone can express why they don't like an idea with a thoughtful approach and not resort to insults or vague grumbling. It's much more constructive to future projects!

I always enjoy hearing the good and the bad on any design and particularly those I was lucky enough to be a part of. I'll give some serious thought solutions to some of the ideas you mentioned, too. There's always another event coming up where we can share our ideas, be a part of the creative process and hopefully be lucky enough to see our ideas become realities! :grin:

"I'm not sure I understand the idea that a Mega event SHOULD have more than a single event coin. Don't get me wrong, I like to see as many cool coins as possible, but I don't ever expect to see more than one official coin. This is a bit of a new development in the last year or two to see more than one official coin. I kinda thought having an official coin being a single design was the whole point of it being "official" and I'm not a fan of the idea myself, but things do change."

Part of the problem is that last year there were 3 unique and interesting coins including the gold pan all in 2 different metals with proxies. Wow! That was a little difficult to follow up this year.

"I'm not sure I understand the idea that a Mega event SHOULD have more than a single event coin. Don't get me wrong, I like to see as many cool coins as possible, but I don't ever expect to see more than one official coin. This is a bit of a new development in the last year or two to see more than one official coin. I kinda thought having an official coin being a single design was the whole point of it being "official" and I'm not a fan of the idea myself, but things do change."

Part of the problem is that last year there were 3 unique and interesting coins including the gold pan all in 2 different metals with proxies. Wow! That was a little difficult to follow up this year.

Actually there was only 1 official event coin last year and that was the gold pan. It was available in three metal finishes just like this year.

There was a Welcome to Geocoinfest event coin with the goldmine theme for that particular evening event prior to Coinfest.

There was a coin themed for the following Vegas 2013 that was released at the event as well, but again had nothing to do with being an official 2012 Coinfest coin.

Edit to add: Now that I think of it the Gold Pan also doesn't fit in my binders or travel to events for much the same reasons discussed above. :laughing:

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

Agreed. We attended Denver GCF2012, our first. For a $75 package, we got 6 coins (6 unique codes) and 6 (matching) GXproxies. 2 metal color versions of the Welcome coin, 2 metal color versions of the Event coin and 2 metal color versions of the Thank You 2012 / Welcome 2013 coin ... plus a proxy for each coin.

... and ... I'm sure that gold pan was no small project. ;)

Granted, the 2012 TY/Welcome coin 'may' have been a shared cost coin and Houston chose not to be involved in a 2013 version with Vegas Committee ... or the opportunity was never pursued.

I haven't been to events like MOGA, but from the coins I've seen for sale post-MOGA, they do offer multiple unique coins in the packages at their event. From the 2013 MOGA website registration it quoted for the top level ($125): You'll get all the swag including an event coin and 10 Years of MOGA coin, a T-shirt, both meals, an extra of the event coin (special edition), and a special edition of the award coin.

GCF should be (imo) GeoCoinFEST ... not GeoCoinENTREE ... :o

Actually there was only 1 official event coin last year and that was the gold pan. It was available in three metal finishes just like this year.

There was a Welcome to Geocoinfest event coin with the goldmine theme for that particular evening event prior to Coinfest.

There was a coin themed for the following Vegas 2013 that was released at the event as well, but again had nothing to do with being an official 2012 Coinfest coin.

Edit to add: Now that I think of it the Gold Pan also doesn't fit in my binders or travel to events for much the same reasons discussed above. :laughing:

Yes, the 'gold pan' was the 'official' event coin. This year's was the dice.

The Welcome to 2012 was the Friday goldmine coin. This year's was .... ???

The TY2012/Welcome2013 was the Announcement coin. This year's was ... ???

They all came as part of the registration package. "IF" a coin is produced and distributed by that year's GCF committee ... it IS 'official' and not available anywhere else. Maybe a matter of semantics, but anything released by the committee ONLY is 'official' ... the official 'Welcome' coin, the official 'GCF Event' coin, the official 'Thank You' coin. If nothing else, there is volumes to be said about a coin at a GCF that says 'Thank You for Attending' compared to an announcement to a handful of folks left on the vendor floor at closing hearing a verbal 'thank you'. But ... that's just me ...

... about the edit ... MY SO has her gold pans quite easily displayed in one of her binders. They were marginally thicker and wider than standard coins, so the binder sheet used is the standard 3 slot 4x6 photo sheet instead of the 9 slot trading card sheet. Those same 4x6 sheets are used for coins like 'The Observatory' (ultra thick), a Czech cross (extra wide), Mapamundo XXL, etc.

Edited by nevadanick

It's going to make more sense (I think) if I just add my comments between your post from above, rather than 'reply'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess "clever" applies more to the fact that a lot of thought went into the process of actually producing them and that they can actually be used at events in the future forever.

Yes, kudos for the amount of thought. I'm positive it was a serious effort.

Obviously you're disappointed and that's unfortunate for the coin producers. This is a chance to learn what could have been better though so...

You mention having a matching set with matching codes being a problem. I'm not seeing the problem in this case though. Coin pairs have been made with identical codes almost from the beginning so that's not exactly new. Having a proxy set match the coins exactly is pretty much the whole point. You have twice as many chances to have a trackable out traveling, too. Not sure how this is a problem or a bad thing in anyone's book.

I guess here that you are suggesting releasing BOTH proxies for twice the fun ... ?? There is a serious problem with that. You can't have 2 proxies traveling in 2 different locations at the same time. Proxy1 gets logged into Ohio. Proxy2 can't be logged unless it is retrieved or grabbed from Ohio. Then #2 may get placed in Florida. #1 cacher wonders how it got out of their inventory and into a Florida cache, so they correct the situation by placing it in the Canadian cache they are now finding. Now Proxy2 wonders how their coin disappeared from their inventory and checks the trackable history. What happens after this is anyone's guess, but I'll almost guarantee it isn't going to turn out well.

We just had this happen 2 weeks ago, and this one turned out OK. Our GXproxy#1 (for a Masquerade coin) traveled, then disappeared. We ordered a GXproxy#2 replacement and sent it out. It traveled for a while. Suddenly GXproxy#1 reappeared mysteriously thousands of miles away. Research confirmed both proxies were now traveling. Fortunately, one understanding cacher was willing to take the time to get an envelope and USPS (at their cost - we offered to pay however) the duplicate proxy to us. It arrived Monday. Trust me ... you DO NOT want 2 of the same code numbers traveling simultaneously ...

Coin 'pairs' may not be exactly 'new' (1 original, 1 proxy), but pairs paired (2 identical originals, 2 identical proxies) ..?? .. not so .. that I know of. ... :blink:

I love taking coins to events, too, for trade and discovery. I do realize these wouldn't travel in a binder, but I don't assume that's the only way for them to travel either. I've seen quite a few coins that don't or can't travel in a binder. I own a bunch like that and have to admit they don't travel with me in a binder either. I know these are all supposed to travel in caches, but the reality is we do carry them around. I don't know how to solve that problem for this coin set or any of the others with the same problem, but it's something I'll have to continue to think about. Mine are sitting on top of my coin rack because they don't fit in it. Of course that means people pick them up faster which has an appeal all its own, too. Thank you for mentioning it!

You mentioned not hooking travelers together, but that's pretty much the basis of every TravelBug I've ever seen personally. A tag attached to a trackable item that often has the code on it as well. << ??? ... I suppose they could be chained, glued or affixed in any number of interesting ways, but the idea of actually using them as real dice would then be altered. I don't know how that could be changed other than to permanently affix them together or only release one proxy at a time to travel. Have to think on that one. In the case of the matching proxies, would you have preferred to see a single coin-style proxy of the pair as opposed to a matched set?

Sounds like mixing coins and tags here, which isn't done on any traveling trackable that I HAVE EVER seen. What would be the point? Anyone who would do this risks the separation of the two identically numbered items, again, having 2 trackables trying to travel simultaneously as I explained above. Unless I'm doing it ALL WRONG ... coins (and proxy coins) travel as coins under their own code and items such as hotwheel cars, soldiers, dolls, keychains, etc travel with ONE travel tag chained or attached, bearing ONE code on ONE of the items (usually the tag itself). I have never seen a travel tag attached to a trackable coin in ANY manner and hope I never do. It would mean that the coin has one TB# and the tag has a different TB# ... :huh:

I'm not sure I understand the idea that a Mega event SHOULD have more than a single event coin. Don't get me wrong, I like to see as many cool coins as possible, but I don't ever expect to see more than one official coin. This is a bit of a new development in the last year or two to see more than one official coin. I kinda thought having an official coin being a single design was the whole point of it being "official" and I'm not a fan of the idea myself, but things do change.

I think I pretty much detailed this above in the reply to Bartian's post.

I'm glad you found good homes for you coins since you didn't enjoy them yourselves though. Thank you for your input, too. I appreciate when someone can express why they don't like an idea with a thoughtful approach and not resort to insults or vague grumbling. It's much more constructive to future projects!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ... :D

I always enjoy hearing the good and the bad on any design and particularly those I was lucky enough to be a part of. I'll give some serious thought solutions to some of the ideas you mentioned, too. There's always another event coming up where we can share our ideas, be a part of the creative process and hopefully be lucky enough to see our ideas become realities! :grin:

I'm glad you mentioned earlier that the GCF Event dice were 'casino spec'. That info was never passed on to attendees (afaik) and I was unaware. I've watched all the other sets being sold on the e-place (and here) and have yet to see the words 'casino spec' anywhere. Had I known, I would have used them.

Also lacking in info disseminated was the whole new production process. Who knew ... ?? Now a handful of us do, but the general attendees DO NOT and will likely never know. What a shame ... :o ... That info does NOT appear in any of the sales efforts either.

In general, the info provided during the whole coinfest process was, to say the least, pitiful. Understandably ... not YOUR fault nor your responsibility. BUT ... the lack of communication was strikingly obvious. Somehow, MAKING cachers show up in Vegas to get coins (and tags) was pretty shortsighted, imo. How did that work out in the end for the bottom line (I wonder) ... ?? ;)

edit in later .... you asked: In the case of the matching proxies, would you have preferred to see a single coin-style proxy of the pair as opposed to a matched set?

Single proxy preferred. Could have been a pair, one flat side, the top side with both die's angled on their points/corners to show 3 faces of each die, one logo on one die and the ID code on the back or on the face of one of the other die faces. Following my other thinking on 'matched set' ... please, NO duplicate codes on duplicate proxies.

Edited by nevadanick

... about the edit ... MY SO has her gold pans quite easily displayed in one of her binders. They were marginally thicker and wider than standard coins, so the binder sheet used is the standard 3 slot 4x6 photo sheet instead of the 9 slot trading card sheet. Those same 4x6 sheets are used for coins like 'The Observatory' (ultra thick), a Czech cross (extra wide), Mapamundo XXL, etc.

I'll have to look and see if I have any of my 4x6 negative sheets left over. I hadn't even pursued the idea concerned that they might damage the other coins or get damaged in return.

It's going to make more sense (I think) if I just add my comments between your post from above, rather than 'reply'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess here that you are suggesting releasing BOTH proxies for twice the fun ... ?? There is a serious problem with that. You can't have 2 proxies traveling in 2 different locations at the same time. Proxy1 gets logged into Ohio. Proxy2 can't be logged unless it is retrieved or grabbed from Ohio. Then #2 may get placed in Florida. #1 cacher wonders how it got out of their inventory and into a Florida cache, so they correct the situation by placing it in the Canadian cache they are now finding. Now Proxy2 wonders how their coin disappeared from their inventory and checks the trackable history. What happens after this is anyone's guess, but I'll almost guarantee it isn't going to turn out well.

We just had this happen 2 weeks ago, and this one turned out OK. Our GXproxy#1 (for a Masquerade coin) traveled, then disappeared. We ordered a GXproxy#2 replacement and sent it out. It traveled for a while. Suddenly GXproxy#1 reappeared mysteriously thousands of miles away. Research confirmed both proxies were now traveling. Fortunately, one understanding cacher was willing to take the time to get an envelope and USPS (at their cost - we offered to pay however) the duplicate proxy to us. It arrived Monday. Trust me ... you DO NOT want 2 of the same code numbers traveling simultaneously ...

Coin 'pairs' may not be exactly 'new' (1 original, 1 proxy), but pairs paired (2 identical originals, 2 identical proxies) ..?? .. not so .. that I know of. ... :blink:

You mentioned not hooking travelers together, but that's pretty much the basis of every TravelBug I've ever seen personally. A tag attached to a trackable item that often has the code on it as well. << ??? ... I suppose they could be chained, glued or affixed in any number of interesting ways, but the idea of actually using them as real dice would then be altered. I don't know how that could be changed other than to permanently affix them together or only release one proxy at a time to travel. Have to think on that one. In the case of the matching proxies, would you have preferred to see a single coin-style proxy of the pair as opposed to a matched set?

Sounds like mixing coins and tags here, which isn't done on any traveling trackable that I HAVE EVER seen. What would be the point? Anyone who would do this risks the separation of the two identically numbered items, again, having 2 trackables trying to travel simultaneously as I explained above. Unless I'm doing it ALL WRONG ... coins (and proxy coins) travel as coins under their own code and items such as hotwheel cars, soldiers, dolls, keychains, etc travel with ONE travel tag chained or attached, bearing ONE code on ONE of the items (usually the tag itself). I have never seen a travel tag attached to a trackable coin in ANY manner and hope I never do. It would mean that the coin has one TB# and the tag has a different TB# ... :huh:

I'm glad you mentioned earlier that the GCF Event dice were 'casino spec'. That info was never passed on to attendees (afaik) and I was unaware. I've watched all the other sets being sold on the e-place (and here) and have yet to see the words 'casino spec' anywhere. Had I known, I would have used them.

Also lacking in info disseminated was the whole new production process. Who knew ... ?? Now a handful of us do, but the general attendees DO NOT and will likely never know. What a shame ... :o ... That info does NOT appear in any of the sales efforts either.

In general, the info provided during the whole coinfest process was, to say the least, pitiful. Understandably ... not YOUR fault nor your responsibility. BUT ... the lack of communication was strikingly obvious. Somehow, MAKING cachers show up in Vegas to get coins (and tags) was pretty shortsighted, imo. How did that work out in the end for the bottom line (I wonder) ... ?? ;)

edit in later .... you asked: In the case of the matching proxies, would you have preferred to see a single coin-style proxy of the pair as opposed to a matched set?

Single proxy preferred. Could have been a pair, one flat side, the top side with both die's angled on their points/corners to show 3 faces of each die, one logo on one die and the ID code on the back or on the face of one of the other die faces. Following my other thinking on 'matched set' ... please, NO duplicate codes on duplicate proxies.

No, no, no!!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND SENDING OUT BOTH PROXIES AT ONCE (unless paired together in strong fashion - steel cable, super-glued, etc.)!!! I said you have twice as many chances to keep your mission alive. ie: If you send out one proxy die and it goes missing, you can then always send out the other if the first has been missing a significant amount of time or been confirmed lost or destroyed in a way that it is unretrievable.

Coin pairs with identical tracking codes have been around for a very long time. I have a Tools of the Trade coin pair that was produced back in 2004 or earlier so almost 10 years or so at this point. I have been told it was not the first to be produced this way, but I can not confirm that. I do have a few others made in pairs from 2005 moving forward as well.

Coins are pretty much fancy TravelBugs with custom icons. They're still just travelers. I've seen a number of them attached to solid items for traveling (both TBs and coins) and released a few myself that way. Sometimes a traveling item loses the tag, but the item is so unique that the TB# is put on it and it continues to travel even without the tag. I've seen a LOT of this example. Some never even had the tag attached at all in fact. Coins can be attached to a traveler just like the tags can and achieve identical results. There are even coins with multiple tracking codes on a single coin! I have seen coins (non-trackable) attached to TB tags as well. There are also single hitchhiking items with dozens of trackable codes, coins and tags attached. I've seen a bunch of those, too. There's no one particular way that any traveling code has to be used as long as it complies with Groundspeak guidelines.

I'll stick to my guns and say I prefer to see a single coin as the Official Event Coin. I don't want to have to show multiple coins in reference to a single event I enjoyed. It somehow seems to dilute the unique appeal of the genuine article when there's more than one. Call me old fashioned, but that's how I feel. If people (fest sub-committees) or individuals want to make more coins for side-events, invites to the next year's event, etc., that's fine by me. They each have their appeal and I support coins for those other events as well. :)

No, no, no!!! I DO NOT RECOMMEND SENDING OUT BOTH PROXIES AT ONCE (unless paired together in strong fashion - steel cable, super-glued, etc.)!!! I said you have twice as many chances to keep your mission alive. ie: If you send out one proxy die and it goes missing, you can then always send out the other if the first has been missing a significant amount of time or been confirmed lost or destroyed in a way that it is unretrievable.

Coin pairs with identical tracking codes have been around for a very long time. I have a Tools of the Trade coin pair that was produced back in 2004 or earlier so almost 10 years or so at this point. I have been told it was not the first to be produced this way, but I can not confirm that. I do have a few others made in pairs from 2005 moving forward as well.

Coins are pretty much fancy TravelBugs with custom icons. They're still just travelers. I've seen a number of them attached to solid items for traveling (both TBs and coins) and released a few myself that way. Sometimes a traveling item loses the tag, but the item is so unique that the TB# is put on it and it continues to travel even without the tag. I've seen a LOT of this example. Some never even had the tag attached at all in fact. Coins can be attached to a traveler just like the tags can and achieve identical results. There are even coins with multiple tracking codes on a single coin! I have seen coins (non-trackable) attached to TB tags as well. There are also single hitchhiking items with dozens of trackable codes, coins and tags attached. I've seen a bunch of those, too. There's no one particular way that any traveling code has to be used as long as it complies with Groundspeak guidelines.

I'll stick to my guns and say I prefer to see a single coin as the Official Event Coin. I don't want to have to show multiple coins in reference to a single event I enjoyed. It somehow seems to dilute the unique appeal of the genuine article when there's more than one. Call me old fashioned, but that's how I feel. If people (fest sub-committees) or individuals want to make more coins for side-events, invites to the next year's event, etc., that's fine by me. They each have their appeal and I support coins for those other events as well. :)

GxProxy.com will be more than happy to make a Proxy Coin with the number off the dice so that you have an individual coin to send traveling. They are only $3.00 and can be replaced over and over so you do not even have to separate the dices...

http://www.shop.gxproxy.com/Ready2Go-GxProxy-Coins-R2G00010.htm

My link

I think another corner needs to be heard from.

I like the dice. I think they are cool. Yes, they could have done a ton of other things to fit the theme, but odds are, that there would be just as many vocal critics of that too. :lol:

I found the idea of the dice to be innovative. I had a blast at the event, even though it was hard to pull my boyfriend away from the showgirls. :rolleyes:

Great job, Team Vegas! and everybody involved with this project!