Evil caches

Chuckeee

Where do I find a list of the most evil hides I can make?

You've only found 11 caches so far; before you start thinking about evil hides it may be beneficial to find more caches in order to:

a) decide if this is a game you want to stick with

B.) gain experience with what sorts of caches, containers, and locations work, and which don't

c) determine exactly why you want to create an evil hide. Is it for the challenge? The notoriety? Are you making an evil cache for its own sake, or as part of a tough puzzle? Do you have a good location in mind, or do you just want to drive people nuts? If you just want to drive people nuts, I'd respectfully suggest you think twice.

Edited by Anonymike7

There is, of course, a distinction between 'evil' and 'nasty'. Evil is when people find the cache and say "Wow!! That was great!!" Nasty is when you make people waste their time looking for a needle in a haystack. Then they curse you out, and put you on the ignore list. Also referred to as 'sadism'.

Example: A nano glued to a piece of ballast rock in a 30' x 3' pile of landscaping ballast rock (with bad coords). That's just nasty and sadistic. Take the same rock, and put it next to a boulder with no other rocks around. That's evil. The first hider went on my ignore list. The second one got a favorite point.

In addition to the others' comments, do you want to hide a "good evil" cache, or a "bad evil" cache?

A "good evil" cache (what Harry Dolphin calls "evil") is cleverly camouflaged in a way that is hard to spot even with excellent coordinates, even when you're staring right at it.

A "bad evil" cache (what Harry Dolphin calls "nasty") is just mean: a needle-in-a-haystack hide, a cache with intentionally bad coordinates, or something like that.

Anyway, it may help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

Where do I find a list of the most evil hides I can make?

You've only found 11 caches so far; before you start thinking about evil hides it may be beneficial to find more caches in order to:

a) decide if this is a game you want to stick with

B.) gain experience with what sorts of caches, containers, and locations work, and which don't

c) determine exactly why you want to create an evil hide. Is it for the challenge? The notoriety? Are you making an evil cache for its own sake, or as part of a tough puzzle? Do you have a good location in mind, or do you just want to drive people nuts? If you just want to drive people nuts, I'd respectfully suggest you think twice.

I just asked a simple question. Your reply did not answer it.

a) read the post before you reply

B.) don't F with Chuck

Edited by Chuckeee
A "bad evil" cache (what Harry Dolphin calls "nasty") is just mean: a needle-in-a-haystack hide, a cache with intentionally bad coordinates, or something like that.

Someone joined Geocaching.com and dropped a camo'd match tube in a 2-acre heavily wooded house lot. So it was just a matter of scraping years of forest debris until finding it. When I dropped by, it already looked like a war zone. It was found one day after I looked. I don't hunt with a scorched earth technique, so some caches remain DNF for me.

For some reason, such caches also seem to have "problems getting good coords under all these trees, heh-heh". I might go take a look, but that's all, and then I place the CO on ignore. But local finders don't complain (much) over a ridiculously nasty cache. If you hide it, they will come.

Edited by kunarion

If this list exists, then odds they are well known and most geocachers will have encountered those caches. That means they will only be "evil" to newbies. The ubiquitous lamp post hide was once considered evil, as were the fake bolt in a guardrail, the fake sprinkler head, the fake electric box, the magnetic blinkie and a host of others. Now those are the first thing anybody who has been goecaching for any length of looks for.

So if you want to devise a truly evil hide, don't look for a list, take yourself and your imagination to your work bench.

A couple thoughts based on recent comments...

Make sure the location of your evil hide can withstand the repeated prolonged searching that such hides attract.

And I'll repeat some advice I posted recently about devising your own in-plain-sight camouflaged cache:

Spend some time looking around your potential cache site. What kinds of things do you see, things that people usually ignore, things that are just part of the environment? Which of those things could be a container, or hold a container? What other kinds of things could fit into that environment and seem like they belong? Which of those things could be a container, or hold a container?

B.) don't F with Chuck

Your reply gets an "F."

Posting a question for open discussion in the forums invites people to share views which may be different from yours. They're free to do so, provided they follow the forum guidelines.

You didn't. Please be respectful of the discussion. Thanks.

OP, I hope you are more creative with your hides than your "Found It" logs.ohmy.gif But I digress, "evil" caches are something that require creativity. As suggested, looking at what others have done on the forums or at prefabricated caches will give you a good start, but the perfect location is the missing part. You won't get this from the forums or from being behind a computer at all. Get out and actually find some great hides to get ideas. I don't like to copy others' ideas either, but you can learn from them and then get creative.

B.) don't F with Chuck

Your reply gets an "F."

Posting a question for open discussion in the forums invites people to share views which may be different from yours. They're free to do so, provided they follow the forum guidelines.

You didn't. Please be respectful of the discussion. Thanks.

Chuckeee is a sock puppet account anyway. He's been claiming finds on caches in the Twin Cities that do not bear his signature on the paper log.