Help with an Oregon 450T for going to a cache

RonGerth

I am having troubles with my Oregon 450T while out caching. It is a pretty new deal so I think I messed up a setting that I can't find to undo.

I went looking for a cache that I downloaded off GC.com into a PQ through GSAK and onto the Oregon. When I get to the point that I am going to start caching I hit the Geocache button and tell it to find a cache. WHen I select the nearest cache and push the screen to go there I go to this map page with a little blue arrow on it and a pink line. I then have to X out of that screen and then go to the compass button that then takes me to the cache. It used to take me straight to the compass screen when I told it to go there. How do I get rid of that extra series of steps in the middle to go back to going straight to a compass screen with the geocache info on the top?

Then tonight I went after a Chirp cache. I chirped it in and got the data from the chirp chip. When I told the unit to go to the chirped info it instead took me to the map with the arrow and the pink line. I then Xed out of that screen and went to the compas screen and it took me to the closest cache which is totally unrelated to the chirp chip. Before when I got a chirp and told it to take me to the chirped place it took me to that compass screen with the chirp data showing.

I am not sure what happened. Nobody messes with my gps unit and I did not change anything that I am aware of other than the usual software updates through Garmin.

Thank you,

Ron

WHen I select the nearest cache and push the screen to go there I go to this map page with a little blue arrow on it and a pink line. I then have to X out of that screen and then go to the compass button that then takes me to the cache. It used to take me straight to the compass screen when I told it to go there.

My 550T has always done that, and the 450T before that. Maybe there's a setting? See this, you can quickly switch views on the Colorado (I know it's not much help here, it's just an example), but even that says it defaults to a map.

Then tonight I went after a Chirp cache. I chirped it in and got the data from the chirp chip. When I told the unit to go to the chirped info it instead took me to the map with the arrow and the pink line. I then Xed out of that screen and went to the compas screen and it took me to the closest cache which is totally unrelated to the chirp chip.

This is what mine has always done. I have to go find the chirp data (saved as a waypoint) and navigate to the waypoint.

If there's a way to streamline both of these per the OP, I would like to know about it. I can't find such settings yet (but I'm looking). Here's a little info page, probably useful for this discussion, but it does not show how to do what you're asking.

Edited by kunarion

My Oregon 450 to the best of my memory has always gone to map view first, however.......... if I remember right the Geocaching Dashboard will put a compass at the top of the map page and point to the next closest cache. This is all from memory (mine--not always good Ha!) I don't use the Geocaching Dashboard personally, I just do as the OP described. Find nearest, Map view, X out and Compass view. I think the idea of the map first is that it gives a general idea what you are going to encounter as you get closer to the cache. Then the compass view pinpoints your search once you are closer. Just my thought anyway. Ha! Follow the pink line down the yellow brick road. :laughing:

the Geocaching Dashboard will put a compass at the top of the map page and point to the next closest cache.

You're right! From the Menu, go to Setup, then Map, then in Data Fields, select "Dashboard", then "Compass". This immediately placed a compass on the map page. I have not tested that compass. The "dashboard compass" in compass mode points at the nearest cache, not the waypoint if you're navigating to a waypoint. So it still may not be what the OP is asking for. But it's close. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

My Oregon 450 to the best of my memory has always gone to map view first, however.......... if I remember right the Geocaching Dashboard will put a compass at the top of the map page and point to the next closest cache. This is all from memory (mine--not always good Ha!) I don't use the Geocaching Dashboard personally, I just do as the OP described. Find nearest, Map view, X out and Compass view. I think the idea of the map first is that it gives a general idea what you are going to encounter as you get closer to the cache. Then the compass view pinpoints your search once you are closer. Just my thought anyway. Ha! Follow the pink line down the yellow brick road. :laughing:

After refreshing my memory (pulled out the Oregon and played around with it), to get close to what you want you need to open the Compass view. That is the place to change the Dashboard (rectangle, lower right corner of screen). Select Geocaching view. Then go back to the Compass view. You will now see at the top of the Compass view the name of the next nearest cache and direction, and distance. You can probably use it to navigate first, but you will eventually have to do the following. Click on the cache name and you will get the cache description and the option to "GO" Then it is (unfortunately) back to the Map with the pink direction line. X out back to Compass. That seems to be the way it is. Map first no matter how you slice it.

the Geocaching Dashboard will put a compass at the top of the map page and point to the next closest cache.

You're right! From the Menu, go to Setup, then Map, then in Data Fields, select "Dashboard", then "Compass". This immediately placed a compass on the map page. I have not tested that compass. The "dashboard compass" in compass mode points at the nearest cache, not the waypoint if you're navigating to a waypoint. So it still may not be what the OP is asking for. But it's close. :anicute:

Thanks K. I hadn't gotten that far yet. Ha!

Thanks K. I hadn't gotten that far yet. Ha!

I think it's new. Or in one of the recent updates. Or from an update a long time ago. I hadn't actually tried it til just now. :laughing:

Don't know about the recent updates, but checking my 450 I have ver. 6.20 which is a year or so old. I don't remember the dashboard option not being on my unit, but I suppose it is possible.

For info, I think 6.40 is the latest ver. now, but I haven't installed it yet. Maybe something to do later. :rolleyes: