Found NGS Ref Mark ON THE BEACH!

CosmicMiami

Found this reference mark today, it isn't where it's supposed to be though. It was laying, still in the concrete, on the beach. Trying to figure out it's original location but the gubment website is down. Any ideas? Thanks.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1378103_10201265471733257_55190335_n.jpg

Do you have coords for where you found it? You could try this site: Benchmark Viewer

Get pictures of it as it sits in the sand, removed from its setting, and send them to Deb.Brown@noaa.gov to report that RM destroyed. Ask her if she cares if you keep the disk. The NGS is really not interested in getting the disks back. The stipulation of returning destroyed marks dates from the time when getting images of the disk was not as easy.

Get pictures of it as it sits in the sand, removed from its setting, and send them to Deb.Brown@noaa.gov to report that RM destroyed. Ask her if she cares if you keep the disk. The NGS is really not interested in getting the disks back. The stipulation of returning destroyed marks dates from the time when getting images of the disk was not as easy.

I have several pics. It is a good bit away from its original location. Amazing how something of that weight would be moved that far. I'll get exact coords when I go back. It's still set in about 4' of concrete. My plan is to use a chisel and sledge to break off the top where the disk is located.

Thanks for the help.

Just bang at it with a long handled sledge. I have successfully removed disks from the monuments with an 8 lb sledge. If it is the type with squared top you can probably knock just the top off. If it is a totally cylindrical one you will have to hit it more to knock it apart. When I did it I think it took about 10 good hits to get the disk out. At first you don't think you are getting anywhere, but then a few cracks open up and concrete start flying. Speaking of bits flying, wear safety goggles.

I have several pics. It is a good bit away from its original location. Amazing how something of that weight would be moved that far. I'll get exact coords when I go back.

From the description, it seems that this Azimuth Mark for Hild 2 was originally located about 2 miles away from the station, about .5 mile north of the county line, and .2 mile north of Blowing Rocks. This would put it around N26 58.630, W080 04.930. It was reported destroyed back in 1964.

The area around Hild 2, meanwhile, looks pretty pricey - probably nor a good place to go benchmark hunting, even though there is a good chance the station is still there.

4e83aa5c-b1ec-4cd3-9a91-2e1d581e263e.png?rnd=0.1977702

Just bang at it with a long handled sledge. I have successfully removed disks from the monuments with an 8 lb sledge. If it is the type with squared top you can probably knock just the top off. If it is a totally cylindrical one you will have to hit it more to knock it apart. When I did it I think it took about 10 good hits to get the disk out. At first you don't think you are getting anywhere, but then a few cracks open up and concrete start flying. Speaking of bits flying, wear safety goggles.

Is there a stem on these or are they just disks set into the concrete?