Finding Night (reflector) Caches in Daylight

^up

Saw a thread about night caches and some discussed finding them during the day. Got me thinking. What attempts, successes or failures have you had in attempting to find a night cache during the day?

Once we attempted a 3-mistery night route with reflectors (three consecutive caches). We found the first one but had 2 DNFs afterwards. The whole route wasn't longer than 400 metres. The next day we went back during daylight and we were unable to walk more than 30 meters, we couldn't see any reflectors!

I found several night caches in the late afternoon on an overcast day. Usually no problem at all with a good flashlight.

Only once have I found a night cache in really bright daylight (clear sky, ~2 p.m.). Just tried it out of curiosity, because I was in the area and had some time left. I used a very strong flashlight, made educated guesses about the route and destination (using the cache listing as well as some log entries) ... and of course had a bit of luck ;-).

I've found plenty of night caches during the day, it's always fun, just not always the same experience.

A friend of mine actually put out a really cool night cache that COULDN'T be done during the day no matter what. GC488Q7

Probably one of the coolest night caches I've done. Involves multiple stages with different props and right before the final, there's a stage involving electronics that will only issue the final coordinates if it's dark out.

right before the final, there's a stage involving electronics that will only issue the final coordinates if it's dark out.

Cool. There's a local cache with a dim electric light above GZ, and cachers have to wait til sundown to see it. I couldn't find it, and was with a cacher who had found it previously. It seems like the light tends to be broken. <_<

My plan was to use some industrial glow strips, painted black, with the paint scratched away to display coords somehow. They'd glow all night, but too dim to use a flashlight in the day. Probably set 30 feet up among trees. I think a camera flash would light them up (or UV light), but you'd have to play at night and let your eyes adjust to the dark before you could see the glow. It might be possible to find the coords using binoculars during the day, but I have a couple of ideas that would make that less than optimal.

Anyway, if I made a night cache, it wouldn't be a day cache. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Of the three night caches that I've found, I only did one at night. I did one during the day because it is placed without permission on a trail that is closed after dusk. There was a good enough hint, that combined with my familiarity with the trail, led me right to the cache without even seeing any reflectors. The other one I really did intend to do at night, but I never got around to it and then I found myself in the park with some extra time one afternoon. So I decided to go for it. I didn't use a light. If you look carefully enough, you can usually spot the white dots on the trees. I missed a couple, but after hiking around for a bit, eventually picked up the trail again. So that was a fun little experiment.

I have set up a couple of night caches with fire tacks, I use a very strong flash light and space the reflectors at the maximum distance for use with a strong flashlight (I use a dive light) some people have had problems with lower powered lights. I wish more people would hide night caches they are a lot of fun to do (at night)

I own several night caches, and I'm occasionally asked if I mind folks hunting them during daylight hours. I mention that the only thing I expect from folks seeking my caches is that they enjoy themselves. If that means hunting them during the day, go for it. Just understand that the kewlness level is significantly reduced, whilst the difficulty level might be bumped up a notch.