Can´t download unpublished listing as gpx

Joe Tramp

Hello,

I really would like to double-check the coordinates of my multi-cache as well as how the listing looks on mobile-phone display etc, but it is impossible to download the listing into my mobile phone!!! I really would like to be able to download MY cache listings... This problem was noted here some time ago, but no one from GS reacted...

Please, if you knew some quick method how to download the listing of an unpublished geocache without using GSAK, share your knowledge...

Thanks, Joe

it is impossible to download the listing into my mobile phone!!!..... if you knew some quick method how to download the listing of an unpublished geocache without using GSAK, share your knowledge...

There's no way to download unpublished listings to anything, with or without GSAK. This is by design. If the Geocaching.com gpx file were available for download, prior to being reviewed and published, that pretty much by-passes the review process.

I do understand the issue with not knowing how the page appears on various formats. It can be an issue especially if you want to try something new, but I think you just have to learn from your existing published caches.

No sure what you mean by double check coords? A trick you can use is to change all the hidden waypoints (stage coords) to visible - then they'll show up on the cache page map. Admittedly a small map, but at least you can verify that they're all about as expected - no mis-typed coords that are 60 miles away. Then go back and change them to hidden again.

Thank you for responses :)

The cache I´m creating has 6 stages + final. It is quite annoying to type all the waypoints manually (a week ago I lost a mobile-phone incl. all waypoints...); it wouldn´t be a problem if it were one cache only, but my future caches will have similar number of stages...

"Double-check" = I should call it "many-times-check", I repeatedly visit the place and perfect coordinates since the cache is located in a forest and signal is not very good.

I really do not know what "by-passes" you (Isonzo Karst) ment, still o.k. there might be a problem. But I created this topic as a suggestion for Groundspeak as well: it might be another feature for premium members... It would help many people, mainly those who perform events - they could supply participants with GPX of caches that just had been published, etc.

It is quite annoying to type all the waypoints manually

Take a look at these GreaseMonkey Scripts for geocaching

http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/

I use a script called Quick Waypoint Entry. http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/Quick_Waypoint_Entry.html

It allows me to copy coords (Control + C) to my browser clipboard, and then enter them into

Geocaching.com coord entry boxes by putting my cursor on the N or S indicator, and hitting (Control + Shift + Y ). It neatly parses the coords into the correct boxes.

I NEVER type coords manually into boxes, and haven't for years.

Obviously you start by needing to be able to copy the coords to a browser buffer, but I assume there's some way to download your phone data to something for copying?

Re "distribute at events" - this would be a violation of the terms of use. You're not supposed to redistribute the GPX files you download from Geocaching.com - even your own.

You can certainly create your OWN gpx of your own data and distribute that. Many people, including myself, create a GPX that is very similar to the Geocaching.com GPX in GSAK. I could distribute that all I wanted.

it is impossible to download the listing into my mobile phone!!!..... if you knew some quick method how to download the listing of an unpublished geocache without using GSAK, share your knowledge...

There's no way to download unpublished listings to anything, with or without GSAK. This is by design. If the Geocaching.com gpx file were available for download, prior to being reviewed and published, that pretty much by-passes the review process.

This is mostly playing devils advocate but if the purpose of the review process is to ensure that caches listed on the web site meet the guidelines, and an unpublished cache isn't listed on the site, does it really matter if it by-passes the review process? However, I can see this getting abused, and GS probably doesn't want to encourage creating listings (and using GC numbers) for a cache that might not ever get published.

Local to me an event host distributed his own GSAK generated GPX files of new caches near his event. He'd submitted them for review too late for them to be seen prior to the event.

I don't recall how many there were, but most were never published, and they caused a number of problems.

One was on the exact same tree as stage 5 of a multi, another crowded a puzzle final, and several in property where the land manager closely controls caching. The post event seekers ran into a ranger, out checking poaching reports - he was NOT amused about new caches, which appeared to him to have been published with no permission (and in the wilderness area, where no permission was possible).

Quite a few people were unhappy. Owners of existing staged caches with permission, spoiled, land manager, and cachers who never got to log finds.

This kind of thing would likely be more common, should the Geocaching.com GPX be available for the cache owner to download and redistribute.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Local to me an event host distributed his own GSAK generated GPX files of new caches near his event. He'd submitted them for review too late for them to be seen prior to the event.

I don't recall how many there were, but most were never published, and they caused a number of problems.

One was on the exact same tree as stage 5 of a multi, another crowded a puzzle final, and several in property where the land manager closely controls caching. The post event seekers ran into a ranger, out checking poaching reports - he was NOT amused about new caches, which appeared to him to have been published with no permission (and in the wilderness area, where no permission was possible).

Quite a few people were unhappy. Owners of existing staged caches with permission, spoiled, land manager, and cachers who never got to log finds.

This kind of thing would likely be more common, should the Geocaching.com GPX be available for the cache owner to download and redistribute.

Maybe we need to get back to the idea that events are to get geocachers together to socialize and not to find other caches. It's a shame, but perfectly understandable that because of such things, the OP can't create a page and then test it on his phone or other device.

It would also be helpful if Groundspeak were to get with the times and accept a single coordinate string instead of having us fill in six boxes. Six boxes offers six chances for mistakes. My typical method is to set a waypoint in the field on my 60CS and then download it to Mapsource where I copy and paste it into the Groundspeak page.

Edited by Don_J
It would also be helpful if Groundspeak were to get with the times and accept a single coordinate string instead of having us fill in six boxes

A single box is how the cache report form works. One box, one string. Per the example on that page, it will accept these formats:

N 39 03.857 W 145 12.263

N 26 42.773 E 174 32.406

N 39° 03' 51.420" W 145° 12' 15.780"

39.064280, -145.204380

S 48.8690° E 003.8225°

The old form will let you use Decimal degrees, one string for Lat and one for Long.

Edited by Isonzo Karst