Sending geocache details to a printer

Smittengranny

I don't (yet) have the luxury of owning a GPS that I can send details to, so to avoid laborious cut and paste of name; coordinates and clues can someone give me a clue as to how I can download them to my printer as list?

If there is a way to send an entire list to the printer, I wish I knew as well. The only way I know to do this is to select the "print" link on each individual cache page.

I don't (yet) have the luxury of owning a GPS that I can send details to, so to avoid laborious cut and paste of name; coordinates and clues can someone give me a clue as to how I can download them to my printer as list?

If you're a Premium Member, make a Pocket Query of selected caches, and give this a try:

http://georoadbook.vaguelibre.net/

That script is very basic (it also seems to lock up at times), but it's a lot better than cut & paste. I had no luck getting it to function with a 1000 cache PQ, but a PQ of a dozen caches worked fine.

There are other programs that do similar things, so if this one's no good, check around.

Edited by kunarion

Isn't there a GSAK macro that prints cache pages? Any GSAK experts out there who can confirm?

GSAK can print lists exactly as the OP asks. But due to the part about "avoid laborious", I resisted suggesting GSAK. I've worked on GSAK off & on for years, and have never reached a point where I can use it. It took me 2 weeks of research & programming just to set my "location" :surprise:. There are probably many programs that are a lot of hard work. The link above requires loading a file and clicking a button, and that's perfect. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

Isn't there a GSAK macro that prints cache pages? Any GSAK experts out there who can confirm?

GSAK can print lists exactly as the OP asks. But due to the part about "avoid laborious", I resisted suggesting GSAK. I've worked on GSAK off & on for years, and have never reached a point where I can use it. It took me 2 weeks of research & programming just to set my "location" :surprise:. There are probably many programs that are a lot of hard work. The link above requires loading a file and clicking a button, and that's perfect. :anicute:

GSAK is not that hard (IMO).

My GPS (etrex Venture HC) is not "paperless" so if I'm going on a trip I'll either create a PQ or if I'm wanting to be a bit more specific, I'll create a Bookmark list, choose the specific caches I'm interested in and then turn that into a PQ.

Either way, once I have the PQ, I'll download it into GSAK as a separate database. I can then 'print' the list of caches. The print dialog box enables you to make a few choices such as show last 5 logs; decode hint etc. It also enables you to preview the printout in your browser.

If you have a portable device that can read PDF files you can 'print' to PDF.

You can also load the caches directly from GSAK into your GPS. You can adjust the standard settings on what is loaded into the GPS. For instance, loading the hint into the Venture's description field.

The latest version of GSAK also uses the Geocaching.com API so you can update an existing PQ directly without have to re-run and download from the geocaching website.

Two weeks to set your location sounds a little odd. A post to their forum would get a quick answer and opening the help file (which is extremely well done) and searching for "location" would have told you how to do that in under a minute. While it can accomplish incredibly complex tasks for basic uses it is east and intuitive to learn.

If there is a way to send an entire list to the printer, I wish I knew as well. The only way I know to do this is to select the "print" link on each individual cache page.

Thanks for replying - hope we get an answer that works. As for hitting "Print" on each, mine won't even highlight so that I can click on it.

If you have a smartphone you can send PQ's to it and use that for reading in the field.

Thanks for the reply. Didn't ever feel the need for a smartphone until I discovered geocaching and am taking time to decide on which one to get which is why I am wanting to download to a printer. Look forward to the day - not far away!

If you're a Premium Member, make a Pocket Query of selected caches, and give this a try:

http://georoadbook.vaguelibre.net/

That script is very basic (it also seems to lock up at times), but it's a lot better than cut & paste. I had no luck getting it to function with a 1000 cache PQ, but a PQ of a dozen caches worked fine.

There are other programs that do similar things, so if this one's no good, check around.

Yes I am , so will give that a try. Many thanks for the reply and good luck with your finds.

Two weeks to set your location sounds a little odd. A post to their forum would get a quick answer and opening the help file (which is extremely well done) and searching for "location" would have told you how to do that in under a minute.

Nope. I only asked one question, and had to ask a couple of different ways before an answer occurred, and it was not useful. What's with this assumption all the time that I don't know what I'm talking about? I am not lying, I do not lie about these things. I also think it's not worth my time proving my statements. Are you sure we can't just drop it?

I'm not insisting that everybody else has trouble using GSAK, nor that anybody else does. I simply posted an option that the OP may try, that is free, and requires one button click, no Forum posts, no Help file to read, no waiting for answers. That seemed like a win-win.

Edited by kunarion

I didn't say you were lying. I don't doubt it took you that long. But for others it was handled in a couple of minutes so don't lay that on GSAK. YOu merely click Tools Options Locations and enter it. A quick trip to the help was all it took. You for some reason seem to have made it more difficult than it had to be.

Nope. I had no idea why all the caches were 4000 miles away. First I had to figure out what I had to fix. Then I had to look it up, and convert my Home location and manually type that into a box. All the while, I'm discovering other horrible problems with GSAK. I lay it all on GSAK. It's an alien world. I'm amazed anyone can use it, but it's cool that people can. I keep installing it due to seeing some demonstration that seems so simple. Then I wait 10 minutes to run it, and by then, remember why I uninstalled it. If I asked all the questions I had to ask on their Forum, it would take forever to get them all answered. It was like pulling hen's teeth to get just one question answered. And later the whole thing launched to a new level of zen, after I truthfully mentioned I hadn't gotten any particularly great help with the one and only question I had asked there... while agreeing with everyone in the Topic that people need to go to the GSAK forum, not here, for GSAK questions. :anitongue: Now let's drop it.

Meanwhile, back on the Topic, I found a utility that requires one mouse click. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

Download CacheMagnet, it's free, and load the GPX files from your PQs. Next best thing to paperless caching.

Thanks for replying - hope we get an answer that works. As for hitting "Print" on each, mine won't even highlight so that I can click on it.

The word "print" on the cache page isn't going to be highlighted. That isn't the way it works.

You need to choose which option you want to print: "No logs", "5 logs", or "10 logs". That will take you to a new page.

Once you're on that page, you would then use your computer's "print" function. You can disable images before printing, to save ink.

I used to do that, years ago, but it's such a waste of paper that I switched to copying and pasting the details into a Notepad file.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I didn't say you were lying. I don't doubt it took you that long. But for others it was handled in a couple of minutes so don't lay that on GSAK. YOu merely click Tools Options Locations and enter it. A quick trip to the help was all it took. You for some reason seem to have made it more difficult than it had to be.

Nope. I had no idea why all the caches were 4000 miles away. First I had to figure out what I had to fix. Then I had to look it up, and convert my Home location and manually type that into a box. All the while, I'm discovering other horrible problems with GSAK. I lay it all on GSAK. It's an alien world. I'm amazed anyone can use it, but it's cool that people can. I keep installing it due to seeing some demonstration that seems so simple. Then I wait 10 minutes to run it, and by then, remember why I uninstalled it. If I asked all the questions I had to ask on their Forum, it would take forever to get them all answered. It was like pulling hen's teeth to get just one question answered. And later the whole thing launched to a new level of zen, after I truthfully mentioned I hadn't gotten any particularly great help with the one and only question I had asked there... while agreeing with everyone in the Topic that people need to go to the GSAK forum, not here, for GSAK questions. :anitongue: Now let's drop it.

Meanwhile, back on the Topic, I found a utility that requires one mouse click. :anibad:

This is what my GSAK cheat sheet looks like:

d10bd13d-534d-4e62-94b0-0bf0337afc17.jpg?rnd=0.8612589

I fold it up and stick it in my back pocket. It only takes a second or two to print, but I will admit that the learning curve to get to that point was a little steep. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience in their forum. That is typically not the case. I have learned much more by letting others ask the questions that I wouldn't even think about and simply browsing older topics. Most of the advanced things typically take a bit of fiddling around to get them setup, but once they are, you just click a button and watch the magic happen.

As to the original post, most of us who started out before there were smartphones or paperless GPS units pretty much did the same thing. I used to cut and paste the important parts of the pages to a Word document. It was the only way to keep from going through what seemed like ream of paper every time you wanted to go caching.

I have learned much more by letting others ask the questions that I wouldn't even think about and simply browsing older topics.

This is what happened here for me here. I have been using GSAK for a little while now, but never looked at the print function. Looked at it and hey, I might incorporate it along with my 450 for notes. Ha!

As to the original post, most of us who started out before there were smartphones or paperless GPS units pretty much did the same thing. I used to cut and paste the important parts of the pages to a Word document. It was the only way to keep from going through what seemed like ream of paper every time you wanted to go caching.

I started with a GPSr that all info had to be entered manually. I kept records in Excel typing in all pertinent info. ................ BUT, I like the paperless caching that I now can utilize with an Oregon 450, Premium Membership and GSAK. Life has become so much easier. :lol:

Edited by cwgrizz