Impending Mark Destruction - Need Advice.

frex3wv

There is a bridge in my area that has a disk on it. I see there is a construction crew setting up a temporary bridge right next to it - meaning new bridge construction time.

Question - How should I handle talking to the crew on scene?

Do you think they even know - or care - it is there?

There is a bridge in my area that has a disk on it. I see there is a construction crew setting up a temporary bridge right next to it - meaning new bridge construction time.

Question - How should I handle talking to the crew on scene?

Do you think they even know - or care - it is there?

When you talk to the crew, ask them to save the disk for you! You get a prize and have proof for the NGS when you file a destroyed report. Make sure you ask the NGS for permission to keep the disk after it is declared destroyed.

John

Will do John.

But question - since I may "have" the disc (if they do as you suggest) - might not the NGS expect it returned since technically it is government property?

If you file the destroyed report to Deb and request that you be allowed to keep the disk, Odds are in your favor that they will let you have. Their main concern is verification that the mark was destroyed, (of which the disk would be proof and then no longer needed).

You just have to ask.

John

One could hope, but not expect, that they would be able to keep the disk intact in place, or else do an official RESET. Chances of either are slim.

You might ask at any surveying companies in your area to see if they are interested in having this mark or a reset available for future use. If flood certificates are frequently done in your area, and especially if there aren't a lot of readily accessible vertical control marks in the area, they might care about it even though the bridge contractor doesn't. Professionals might be able to save it when you can't. That's more important than a souvenir.

Bill93 makes some good points.

But in answer to your original question of obtaining it, I would be surprised if you will have any luck. I am willing to bet that one of the site supervisors already has his dibs on the disk.

I tried something similar a few years ago and was told it was in "someone's office" so that it could be submitted as destroyed to the NGS. I took that as code to mean "the boss wanted it so we gave it to him". It was my first Groundspeak find and I felt a bit paternal so I submitted it to Deb based on the fact that I knew what I was talking about. I am pretty sure it is my name on the destroyed log on that one, and that she never got a log from anyone on the construction site.

In my town they replaced a bridge and built the new one beside the old one. In this instance it made total sense because it straightened out a curve that had been in the road for decades. Sadly, they started the project by cutting off the wingwall and retaining wall that had a benchmark on it, so by the time I thought to see if I could get it they had removed it.

I have seen this sort of bridge replacement a few times during my benchmark hunting.

Two bridges over the Yellowstone River at Livingston, Montana have been replaced in the last few years, placing their bench marks in the NOT FOUND category.

Temporary 9th St bridge

fd9461b4-09fe-4e7c-9079-accf1e5630da.jpg

Bailey Bridge has been replaced with a new single lane structure.

Old US 10 - KPRK Bridge

1dfb1815-2778-49ee-81ee-d0564b9e6b0a.jpg

seventhings 2006 Photo. New bridge, just finished in August, has two wide lanes with shoulders and a guardrail protected pedestrian lane on the upstream side. MEL

Well I went and spoke to the Site Super. and he was well aware of the disc. Said it was on his site plans!

He informed me that they planned on removing it and sending it in to NGS and then at the end of the project a reset would be placed. Was he VERY informed - no - enough that I believe they are doing the right things - yes.

As an aside - here in WV what they do is build a temporary bridge over the creek/stream etc and then remove and replace the bridge in the exact same spot! Start to finish takes close to 1 year to complete.

Thanks all!