Earthcache Day 2013 Souvenir?

The A-Team

Since there hasn't been any mention of one in any of the official channels, I take it there won't be a souvenir again this year? One wonders why Earthcaching seems to be getting the shaft in that regard. After all, they found time to make a souvenir for the upcoming visit to the ISS cache.

Since there hasn't been any mention of one in any of the official channels, I take it there won't be a souvenir again this year? One wonders why Earthcaching seems to be getting the shaft in that regard. After all, they found time to make a souvenir for the upcoming visit to the ISS cache.

Yup, Earthcache Day and a whole bunch of countries waiting to have souvenirs created/released for them are on a perpetual backburner, but a travel bug gets one pronto.

One wonders how one squeaky wheel gets attention, but the other, long-standing ones continue to be ignored.

<_<

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

This IS very disappointing!! Sorry, and it's not a matter of being disrespectful, but I brought up the same "problem" last year in a forum post (which was then closed due to alot of people being really mad about it). It was posted that a souvenir for 2013 was being worked on!?!? I guess not...but honestly, I don't understand why it is such a problem to make one....especially when so many people find it "important". Why doesn't GS have the same feelings? Or better yet, why do they avoid/ignore ours?

Wow.....did they learn NOTHING from last year?? I was pretty sure they said they were working in one a year ago for 2013......went back and read the threads.....yep, that's what they said! It just adds insult to injury after the 31 Days of Geocaching debacle. I won't repeat the previous comment that some felt was off colour, but I will say that I agree!

Wow! I was very disappointed, after planning and driving 38 miles (GC.com's crow flies distance), and logging a very nice and fun Earthcache, that my husband and I enjoyed seeing, that I did not earn a souvenir, too. Yes, it is fun to have a little wall art bragging on my accomplishments, but more importantly, creative cachers use these souvenirs as a new twist to play the game.

Two very clever hiders in my area, created a 20, 10, and 5 Souvenir ? Challenge. I have been able to meet the requirements and log the 20 and the 10 ? Challenge caches, but due to Groundspeak's inconsistencies, I can not log the 5 Souvenir Challenge. I am disappointed by this, because these cachers have fun, clever hides. I had to work to qualify to log this Challenge, which I liked the goal set and being able to meet; for me, that's part of the geocaching fun. The first country I cached in was Mexico, May 2012, for which I received no souvenir. Then, in July 2013, I cached in France and August 2013 in England, for which I received a souvenir for each country. I have received souvenirs for a CITO, a Flash Mob, an International Geocaching Day, Leap Day, and an unique date souvenir, but I can not receive a souvenir for International Earthcache Day, when I purposefully set out to find an Earthcache to signify this day.

With the exceptionally long review times for an Earthcache, I submitted one on 26 August 2013 that is still waiting to be reviewed, and there has only been one Earthcache published per month for the first six months of this year and none since 3 June 2013 in my state, and with Groundspeak's non-Souvenir recognition, Groundspeak gives the impression that Earthcaches are not that high of a priority for them, in spite of the annual International Earthcache Event.

I wish Groundspeak would be consistent--souvenirs for each of the "significant" caching days and places or no souvenirs, regardless the day. The inconsistencies as to how nuances of geocaching are handled by Groundspeak seem to annoy cachers the most.

Edited by flyfshrgrl

Like the rest of you I too am disappointed...

I’m seeing more and more hoopla over the Geocaching in Space Souvenir. I’m a bit confused as to why this group [GS] is willing to ignore a souvenir for recognizing the earth we live on and so easily create one for what amounts to nothing more than a “trinket in space”? I’m sure I’ll get the proverbial “nasty-gram” from someone in GS for posting this, but it just might get their attention…

1. Awhile back, we did begin the process of a 2013 souvenir.

2. Unfortunately, it was not possible to complete that process, for various technical reasons I won't/can't describe here.

3. Issuing a souvenir for EarthCache Day is not as simple as "clicking a button", unfortunately, but understandably.

4. As in 2012, in 2013, it was not stated anywhere that a souvenir would definitely be available.

5. The fact that some things have souvenirs and others don't is not a reflection of priorities, but is more of a technical matter.

6. I apologize to those who expected a souvenir and did not get one, and thank those who visited EarthCaches and participated in the many events around the world, and had a great time!

Best wishes, and happy caching! :)

--Matt

GeoawareHQ