'Called the CO'?

Trachten

I have been called a few times, and emailed a few as well.

Many cachers have a list of geocaching friends & will call one for an extra hint or other assistance. I suppose the logical first call would be the cache owner, if you have their number on your list.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but occasionally in the comments section of a geocache I see people writing that they got stuck and 'called the CO'. Do people really call the cache owner or is this just a euphemism for something else?

No, people actually call others for help. I've done it, and I've had people call me. You might also see phone a friend- you ask a fellow cacher who has already found it.

Not sure if any groups do this, but you can set up a Google Voice acct. when called will forward to other numbers. The actual number is not displayed to the caller, but the reciever does see the actual number calling them. One of the hiking groups I belong to has this (for lost or other non-emergency help situations out on the trail). Most anything social these days has some level of support via email or telephone.

In our community... we have a geocaching group that we meet monthly. It's not uncommon to know folks personally and have their phone numbers.

If you know the CO and have their number...ya give 'em a call and say HI!! and ask for a hint. Also known as PAF (Phone a Friend)

Or call anyone else who's found the cache before you...and you have their number.... give 'em a ring! Happens a lot...especially to folks who know eachother.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but occasionally in the comments section of a geocache I see people writing that they got stuck and 'called the CO'. Do people really call the cache owner or is this just a euphemism for something else?

If you're really pissed about faulty coordinates or a cheapo-cache-box :mad: , you can "call out" the CO :o - but that's contrary to the spirit of the game. ;)

I've had a couple of co's who've inboxed me their phone numbers because I said I was hoping to go look for one of their circulars or caches.

They messaged me saying if I was stuck or needed any hints just to give them a call.

Never have upto now as I haven't met any of them and I'd probably feel a little awkward, but as soon as I manage to attend my first meet-up and get to know some of the local cachers in my area, that will probably change.

Seen a few people post about PAF too (Phoned a friend) to get help from a previous finder.

I think this happens a lot more in a tight-knit geocaching community. I know the more I attended events and got to know other cacher, the more I didn't mind calling them or having them call me. It can really help when you suspect something is wrong too. Yesterday I couldn't find a Letterbox Hybrid and called the CO. He confirmed I was in the correct spot and that the cache was indeed missing.