GC Codes....

Giles73

Hi everyone!

I am new to this but it has bitten me in a big way and now I wish to place my first cache, nothing amazing but enough to get me started.

1) I have read, re-read, and re-re-read the guidelines (CHECK)

2) I have my container, log book, and label (CHECK)

3) I have a little bag of 'goodies' to use to place my container (CHECK)

4) I have an ideal location to hide the cache (CHECK)

but how/when/where do I get the GC Code to put on the label? (I am thinking that it is provided on acceptance of my cache) but the guidelines state that a cache MUST BE in place prior to submitting so I am a little confused as to where this number comes from?

Any help or advice from the community is, as always, gratefully appreciated.

very best regards and happy hunting

Giles73

The GC code is generated when you create your cache. Creating it does not automatically send it to the reviewer for approval.

So I have to go out to the location, hide the cache (keeping with the guidelines), come back and register it for review, and then, if accepted I have to go back out to the cache to write the GC Code on the label?

The GC code is generated when you create your cache. Creating it does not automatically send it to the reviewer for approval.

So I have to go out to the location, hide the cache (keeping with the guidelines), come back and register it for review, and then, if accepted I have to go back out to the cache to write the GC Code on the label?

Not at all. Go ahead and click on the link to submit a cache. You will get the form to fill out. Be sure to uncheck the box that says the cache is available (or whatever it says). That will get you the GC code. Fill out the form and then place the cache. Once the cache is available, then check that box to submit the cache.

I'm not sure exactly what that box says since it has been some time since I last placed a cache, but it is close to that.

As far as I remember, if you don't tick the box that says "the cache is in place", then it won't be placed in the Review queue. You can make up a label with the GC code, then place the container and log book, then re-visit the cache page and enable it. You don't want to have cache published before it's in place. Some times, a cache is published mere minutes after being enabled, and FTF hounds are out there looking for it immediately.

Have you read over the Help Center articles under the section "Hiding a Geocache"?

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

B.

There really isn't any reason to write the GC code on the cache. Everyone coming to find it already has that on their device.

No... I might find a cache by accident, without my GPS in a cache rich area. Unless it's a nano, it needs a GC code written on it.

+1

I appreciate finding the cache name or coordinates or GC Code or anything identifying it, at least on the cache log. This tells me that the Cache Owner has some interest in Geocaching, and lets me know I found the correct thing.

But I place a container weeks or months in advance of activation, and return many times to be sure there are no issues (muggles, coords, whatever), so there are tons of opportunities to write info on the container if necessary. Most COs simply drop it and never return.

And I print the GC code, even on my nano logs. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

There really isn't any reason to write the GC code on the cache. Everyone coming to find it already has that on their device.

No... I might find a cache by accident, without my GPS in a cache rich area. Unless it's a nano, it needs a GC code written on it.

The cache can also get moved either accidentally (extreme weather, animals, curious children) or intentionally (sometimes geocachers misinterpret the rules and think a geocache is supposed to move from place to place).

If it's a nano then the GC# and cache name should be on the log sheet.