Garmin eTrex 20 v. eTrex 30

:signalviolin:

Don't waste your hard earned money on the 30 or the 20, both rather slow (USB v1) and clunky UI with immature buggy firmware and tiny screen. Eventually you will want to upgrade to a better 62s!

Grab a 62S as it's a mature product with bigger screen, faster processor and USB v2. Also it has been around for a while so the software bugs have been sorted out completely!

Good long term investment, easier to use, better firmware, more options, just a better overall product!

pEMS1-8148447venh.jpg

:)

eTrex 30 is the only option if you are lookin' for a GPS-receiver which works >20 hours on batteries and which has a relatively small size (and weight).

Also, electronic compass has to be consider as current FWs (since FW 2.80) suffer from "GPS response at low speeds" what means in practice that with non-ecompass unit (eTrex 20) you will hardly see movement and map orientation in slow motion.

I don't recommend GPS units without electronic compass at all!

Overall, I would recommend eTrex 30 if energy-consumption and small-size is a priority. Otherwise I'd vote for Garmin Dakota 20 as a little less energy-safe unit, but currently the best-deal.

Garmin Dakota 20 is accesible in the price equal or less than eTrex 20, but has much more capabilities, alike wireless transfer of data, e-compass, barometer.

Edited by wmarek74

Also, electronic compass has to be consider as current FWs (since FW 2.80) suffer from "GPS response at low speeds" what means in practice that with non-ecompass unit (eTrex 20) you will hardly see movement and map orientation in slow motion.

At least in my case... it seems that this problem has been rectified since a couple of firmware revisions. The heading low pass filter seems okay tuned to not throw my direction jumpy during bushwhacking. At circa 2.8-2.9 something, it was truly terrible.

Otherwise I second the poster above - the firmware is not mature yet and processor rather slow - if you don't care about long battery life and/or a small size don't even consider any of the eTrexes over a 62s !!!

:signalviolin:

Don't waste your hard earned money on the 30 or the 20, both rather slow (USB v1) and clunky UI with immature buggy firmware and tiny screen. Eventually you will want to upgrade to a better 62s!

Grab a 62S as it's a mature product with bigger screen, faster processor and USB v2. Also it has been around for a while so the software bugs have been sorted out completely!

Good long term investment, easier to use, better firmware, more options, just a better overall product!

pEMS1-8148447venh.jpg

:)

+ 1 ( or I should say 2 as I have two of them ) :) .

Although I agree with everything stated about the 62s (I also own one), I find myself using my eTrex 20 and 30 quite a lot lately. Mostly, I like it's compact size. Don't forget, too, there's a signicant price difference between the 62s and the 20. I bought my eTrex 30 for $249 (CDN) and once saw the 62s at Bass Pro Shop for the same price, but that was rare for that unit. The 20, on the other hand, is averaging around $179.

Nothing wrong with the software at this time.

BTW, don't you know in what way eTrex 30 calculates "Total ascent"/"Total descend"?

I have FW 3.30 and I can't get where these sums come from. What is curious that they seem always less than suspected...

Must be a wrong software, or something intentional?

Edited by wmarek74

@Forkeye

You are wrong. I confirm stable elevation measurements, but my previous question refered to eTrex 30 calculation of total ascends/total descends.

I wrote to Garmin and they admit their mistake and bug.

You wrote that you do hiking. I suggest you to give it a try in the mountains.

In this case, eTrex 30 software is far beyond all the other Garmins which calculate these values fairy good.

The reason of faulty sums' calculation is that Garmin uses alghoritm which is based on changes of vertical speed in the time periods. If you move slow (when hiking uphills) your speed is so slow that eTrex 30 disregards them for total ascend.

On the other hand, it works fairly good when cycling with constant pace or in the lifts.

Look for confirmation in forum.garmin.de

There are many numbers which confirm this BUG.

BTW, this wrong alghoritm exists since the start of e30 till now, unfortunately (wrong software) :-(

Give it a try and you'll see that this particular function (total ascent/descent) gives random values in eTrex 30.

It is weird that such perfect GPS-unit with correct altitude readings has implemented such fake algorithm in trip computer.

You don't need to take both units to recognize this problem. The simpler test is to make a close, round trip in the hilly terrain and at the same start/finish point of the trip You will see differences between ascents and descents. Typically: the ascents will be underestimated due to lower speed of ascending.

Garmin respect this observation, but he is hardly doing anything with this.

Edited by wmarek74

I admit that I have an Etrex 20 (v3.30) and I'm quite happy with it because I can run all my maps on it from the SD card!

24bp8bl.jpg

I didn't want the 30 as my pilot buddies said it was no good for aviation as the extra sensors didn't work accurately and the fact the electronic compass was continually in error requiring constant calibration made the unit down right dangerous to use for flight! Why would I want to pay an extra $120 for features I would prefer to disable! The 20 got it for me!

--------------------

I just don't understand why Garmin don't make their GUI's and firmware open source and with user editing and customization softwares available to all. With such a large community of willing users and modders, let the users beta test and hot fix them for selves. Makes for better products with cured software in a quicker time than in-house!

I still love my Etrex H (v3.10) better, 'less is more' on this classic!

gps-garmin-garmin-etrex-h-gps.jpg

Edited by PigSti

I didn't want the 30 as my pilot buddies said it was no good for aviation as the extra sensors didn't work accurately and the fact the electronic compass was continually in error requiring constant calibration made the unit down right dangerous to use for flight! Why would I want to pay an extra $120 for features I would prefer to disable! The 20 got it for me!

True actually, even if significantly better in the latest firmware revisions. What's worse, there is a bug such that in the rare case the magnetic compass direction will couple into the device even if the magnetic sensor is completely disabled in the menus. Sometimes, it can even result in the direction arrow rotating while the compass rose does not (yeha...) Here's a youtube video of one moment when I experienced it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpivT2WTevQ

The magnetic direction is supposed to be ignored completely though if you are moving faster than a few miles an hour. Doubt any planes are that slow.

The electronic compass would never be on while flying an airplane.... It is for use when stopped or moving very slowly.

LOL, what's the point of that! Two steps forward and the electronic compass is a waste of money...

So I was right to get the 20! :P

Save yourself some bucks guys, don't fall for the hype!

:rolleyes:

PS: My Suunto compass doesn't have buggy softwares and works just fine @ 500+ kph...

3017075_suuntokb14.jpg

Edited by PigSti

The electronic compass would never be on while flying an airplane.... It is for use when stopped or moving very slowly.

LOL, what's the point of that! Two steps forward and the electronic compass is a waste of money...

That's right that unexperienced turists may have problem with compass. Otherwise, in eTrex 30 compass works just fine!

For the most part the compasses on both my 30 and 62sc have been fairly reliable, but of course fairly isnt good enough for an aircraft .I always carry my Suunto compass when hiking, its always correct. All you really need is a device that has good maps and gives your position and the positions of other waypoints that you may want to know and the direction to them. Guess the 20 fits this requirement fine ,some people just like to have all the features offered I guess. These electronic compasses are for recreational use only. I used to use my gps 12 and a real compass and always find my mark, in fact I can covert my geo cache co-ordinates into MGR ,use a topo map and a compass with a romer on it and find most caches ,its kind of a little more of a challenge and fun to do.

Edited by Forkeye

For the most part the compasses on both my 30 and 62sc have been fairly reliable, but of course fairly isnt good enough for an aircraft .I always carry my Suunto compass when hiking, its always correct. All you really need is a device that has good maps and gives your position and the positions of other waypoints that you may want to know and the direction to them. Guess the 20 fits this requirement fine ,some people just like to have all the features offered I guess.

^^ +1 :)

That's right that unexperienced turists may have problem with compass. Otherwise, in eTrex 30 compass works just fine!

:blink:

Well well, lookee here...

I indeed purchased an eTrex 30 some days back. It couldn't calibrate the compass, systematically failed in the 3rd step (it is a known error, there are threads about it). Then I went and replaced the unit with the 62s and did a cache with it.

Another satisfied Etrex 30 compass customer, NOT!

ad-01.jpg

:rolleyes:

Edited by PigSti