Kansas City area Geocachers?

Guest Todd Svec

Guest Steve McGinnis

m probably going to go up to K.C. tomorrow and look for yours at the Arboretum. And yes Todd, I guess the Sacagawea Gold Dollar coin has kind of become my signature item. I order them from the bank. I think it is kind of neat to give them out as tips, and things like that. Would you believe there are still people who don't know what they are. Usually, when I give one out, it never leaves the person I give it too. They keep them. I gave one to a guy who was going over to Wendy's a couple days ago, to pick me up a sandwich. While he was gone, another guy was asking me about the coin I gave him. I told him he could see it when the guy got back from Wendy's, and the guy said no, he was going to use it to buy my sandwich. I said, no, bet it never gets to the person at Wendy's. When he got back with the food, I said "hey Matt wants to see the dollar I gave you for the sandwich", Barry, promptly pulled it from his pocket and showed it to him. Being single, I eat out alot, and usually give them as tips, so I guess it really is my signature. T & T, hope you have a good time on your trip.

Steve

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Steve McGinnis

Almost forgot. Yes, Todd, I do seem to be taking all your stuff. That's what you get for getting there first. If you let me get there first, you could be taking all my dollars. LOL Really, though, I take something, no matter how small and insignificant, from every cache I visit. I take a picture of the cache, (but don't post it any where. I have a sack full of zip lock bags, which are labeled with the date, and cache name, containing the item I took from the cache and as soon as I get the pictures developed, it will go in the baggie, as well. I also keep a notebook, with three dividers, first is my caches, second is found caches, and third is caches to be found. I print out the cache details, and keep them in the notebook. Gives me some thing to do while I'm not hunting.

Steve

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Steve McGinnis

This thread is getting kinda long and takes time to load. Would any one have any objections to me archiving this one, and we can start with Kansas City Area Geocachers II. Or I can just leave this one on the list and we can go to a II any way. Input?

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Todd Svec

I'd say leave it up in some way, I've gota believe there are people that will read it and reply down the line. It doesnt' take to long to load on my PC (56K modem) FYI. Too bad it's not in a message forum format like the newsgroups....

Todd

Guest tocamara

Hey Todd thanks for the invite! Steve...yeah my mother loves going and she loves the SJ dollars. She wants only those, has no clue that they are contemporary currency, and keeps asking me how much they are worth...I usually make her place $2 for every 1 she takes, until she figures it out. Of course she still collects JFK's and $2 bills! I'm working on another Cache now, but plan on making it much harder...I've grown really interested in the concept of Armchair treasure hunting and am trying to figure out how to do it with the GPS. I've been really really inspired by "Masquerade" by Kit Williams, one of the most complex (and beautiful) treasure hunts ever...Any ideas anyone? icon_wink.gif

Guest tocamara

Hey Todd thanks for the invite! Steve...yeah my mother loves going and she loves the SJ dollars. She wants only those, has no clue that they are contemporary currency, and keeps asking me how much they are worth...I usually make her place $2 for every 1 she takes, until she figures it out. Of course she still collects JFK's and $2 bills! I'm working on another Cache now, but plan on making it much harder...I've grown really interested in the concept of Armchair treasure hunting and am trying to figure out how to do it with the GPS. I've been really really inspired by "Masquerade" by Kit Williams, one of the most complex (and beautiful) treasure hunts ever...Any ideas anyone? icon_wink.gif

Guest Steve McGinnis

I went hunting with Todd today, and we were discussing where you got the name Tocamara. Then when I went to log finding your cache at the Arboretum, I noticed it was done by TOny, CArrie, and MARA, (TOCAMARA). Boy am I smart. LOL

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Todd Svec

I predict the next few weeks will be VERY busy in the Kansas City geocaches... Just have this feeling!

Comment & Opinion about a get together around July 4th. In talking to a few people, It might be a better idea to steer clear of a holiday period as I think many people may already have plans with friends and family. I know that it's a terrible hot time of year, but might I suggest that the weekends in August are far enough away, and really no holidays around. Thoughts?

Guest Todd Svec

I took the liberty of making up a short survey for the picnic and posted it up on my web site as well as emailing it to a bunch of you. I'll consolidate the results and maybe that will help us decide on a time and location. Please send the link to anyone you feel would be interested (and sorry it's not more fancy or interactive, it's nothing but a list of questions for one to reply to in email).

http://www.grapevine.net/~tsvec/misc/kcsurvey.htm

Guest Paul Lamble

Todd,

I hope you're right about the pickup in interest. My poor caches have only had two visits, and those were by special invitation. The weather sure looks like it will be cooperative, so maybe you're right. I know a good article in the Star would help, but who knows if that will ever happen!

Guest trilobites

up to the city and hit yours and drive down to Steve;s.

I Hope we can have a cachers get together after June 6th and before July 4th. I'll invite some city folks and perhaps we can get a news person. I know the NPS folks are coming back this summer. Enjoy the caching.

P.S. Compared my etrex to a garmin GPS 12 and GPS 12CX, the extex works just a good and doesn;t seem to be bothered by tree cover anymore than the others.

Guest Paul Lamble

Hi all,

I think my time is free the second weekend in June like John suggested. I guess the sooner we get a date settled, the sooner I can write it on my calendar and be committed.

Some of you knew that I was hoping to write an article for the KC Star about geocaching. Well, after two months of pounding on the door there, I learn that they've been working on one of their own for three months. (How it can take three months to do an article is beyond me.)

PL

Guest Todd Svec

Of course it takes three months! When you know nothing of a subject, and don't interview the people actually participating in the hobby, you have to be CREATIVE and that takes time!!! I think they interviewed the City of Mission, and there's much concern about too much traffic in the park, detroying vegetation, bombs, snake bites and trespassing. OK, I'm being sarcastic. It's my NATURE!

Todd

Guest Todd Svec

I don't want to jump the gun on the results of the survey and focus on a date without getting input from at least half the group I sent emails, so far everyone would be fairly flexible if we picked almost any weekend. Dates that have been excluded by some are "May", Memorial Day Weekend, June 2nd, June 10th, and the July 4th weekends. Personally, June 9th is kinda rough for me, and I believe one other group because of the Dog 'n' Jog on Sunday. I'm also getting some feeling that a few people prefer Sundays over Saturday and vice versa. I agree that having it on the calendar and committing to it would be great, but let's see what everyone says so that we don't arbitrarily pick a weekend that gets less turnout. I sent out 15 emails, to which I've gotten replies from just four. Before I leave for my trip I'll send out another one narrowing down dates.

Guest Todd Svec

As far as location, it's pretty much a no brainer that it will be in KC, and John's offer of the park next to his home next door is probably the way to go.

Guest tocamara

Paul,

I know the feeling about putting caching on the map. I've been trying for years just to put K.C. on the map. Now it's worse that I live in Kansas--oh the confusion!

My wife is an illustrator and I'm something of a writer. We are planning a cache on a large scale using K.C. for the historical background and my wife will paint them and I'm going to right riddles involving K.C. I'm trying to incorporate GPS, Letterboxing, and armchair treasure hunting all into one. This could take a while icon_redface.gif But, I think just spreading the word puts this on the map (oh the friends that have been looking at GPS units lately). Good luck in your Star endeavors...I hope that ask for your inside info.

Guest tocamara

Paul,

I know the feeling about putting caching on the map. I've been trying for years just to put K.C. on the map. Now it's worse that I live in Kansas--oh the confusion!

My wife is an illustrator and I'm something of a writer. We are planning a cache on a large scale using K.C. for the historical background and my wife will paint them and I'm going to right riddles involving K.C. I'm trying to incorporate GPS, Letterboxing, and armchair treasure hunting all into one. This could take a while icon_redface.gif But, I think just spreading the word puts this on the map (oh the friends that have been looking at GPS units lately). Good luck in your Star endeavors...I hope that ask for your inside info.

Guest Todd Svec

I've received about 50% of the surveys and will be listing out some suggested dates tomorrow!

[This message has been edited by Todd Svec (edited 26 April 2001).]

Guest rynokc

Hello, I am fairly new to all of this. Just this evening I had the pleasure of meeting T and T at their very own cache. I really like the idea of a gathering. I have emailed back the results of my survey.

Thanks again

Ryan and Rhonda

rynokc@aol.com

Guest Paul Lamble

My email was giving me fits all night, so I don't know how many of you actually got my message. So here it is one last time:

GC1E5

That's all!

PL

Guest Paul Lamble

OK THE LOG BOOKS. So if anyone is planning to visit the caches today, please leave some sort of temporary log if you want. I'm getting the log books back, but I may not get them back in the caches right away.

Sorry about that. Who would have guess that!

PL

Guest rynokc

I don't know what GC

1E5 means???

Ryan and Rhonda

[This message has been edited by rynokc (edited 27 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by rynokc (edited 27 April 2001).]

Guest Paul Lamble

Ryan and Rhonda,

That is the waypoint this site assigned to a cache in Olathe that never got posted. If you go to the Find a Cache section and enter that in the waypoint field, it will take you to the details of a cache that has sat unfound for nearly three months. Its pretty easy to find

Guest rynokc

That is actually posted now under the title of "No Name" I saw it this afternoon when I was on the site, I will probably try for it this weekend. Thank you. Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Paul Lamble

Ryan and Rhonda,

It's a pretty easy cache to find since the view of the sky is so good. Still, it's tiny and could easily be overlooked. Take along some smaller ziploc bags since everything in the cache is kind of water damaged. If you want you could take along a new log book (the size that would fit in your shirt pocket) since the log right now is only a piece of soggy paper. The cache box is too small to accept anything the size of a CD container. Keep that in mind when you consider what you might want to leave. Happy hunting!

Guest Steve McGinnis

I went to the No Name cache today, no problem finding it. Funny how you can hide some thing that close to every thing, and it will probably never be discovered unless you know it is there. I put the stuff in baggies and also left a new log book. I also wrote pauls log entry in it just after mine. (just kidding), I wrote yours on the first page, and mine on the second.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Liz Austin

Hi,

I'm a reporter for the FYI section of the Kansas City Star. I've been assigned to do a story on geocaching and it's popularity in the KC area. Would anybody be willing to talk to me about the sport and maybe even take me along on a hunt? My email address is laustin@kcstar.com and my work phone number is 816-234-4362. I'd really appreciate any help anybody could give me.

Guest tocamara

Paul,

I'll let you talk to the fine lady from the K.C. Star!!!

Liz,

Thank you for your interest!

Ryan,

To answer your question about letterboxing: (just now read your message). Hard to explain but here goes...In the 1800's a man left his business card in a bottle in England..years later someone else found it...This turned into a phenomenon where people will hand-make these intricate rubber stamps and hide them--only giving compass directions/vague coordinates (100 paces North from a tree...) and once found you use your personally hand-made rubber stamp to stamp their log and you use theirs (in the cache) to stamp your log...There are actually a few in K.C. Sometimes letterboxing sites and geocaching are combined. Often there is a riddle attached to find the site. The last one I did was in St. Louis called: Scarab! I'm trying to combine these two hunts with another one called Armchair treasuring hunting. To read more look at the "links" section in the geocaching site.

Good luck icon_wink.gif

Guest tocamara

Paul,

I'll let you talk to the fine lady from the K.C. Star!!!

Liz,

Thank you for your interest!

Ryan,

To answer your question about letterboxing: (just now read your message). Hard to explain but here goes...In the 1800's a man left his business card in a bottle in England..years later someone else found it...This turned into a phenomenon where people will hand-make these intricate rubber stamps and hide them--only giving compass directions/vague coordinates (100 paces North from a tree...) and once found you use your personally hand-made rubber stamp to stamp their log and you use theirs (in the cache) to stamp your log...There are actually a few in K.C. Sometimes letterboxing sites and geocaching are combined. Often there is a riddle attached to find the site. The last one I did was in St. Louis called: Scarab! I'm trying to combine these two hunts with another one called Armchair treasuring hunting. To read more look at the "links" section in the geocaching site.

Good luck icon_wink.gif

Guest Paul Lamble

Tocomara,

Yes, I sent her an email offering assistance (though I had wanted to write that article). I'm in St. Louis right now and won't be back until Tuesday night. Todd Svec is in the Carribean, I think.

Anybody have any thoughts, considerations, concerns they'd like to make the reporter aware of?

Tocomara, I visited the Scarab! cache yesterday. Hard to get a good reading in the leaf cover there. I understand the Under the Boardwalk cache has been removed from that park. I suppose you know there is a letterbox stash at Watkins Mill, not far from the geocache.

Paul Lamble

(sleeping in my boyhood bedroom tonight)

Guest rynokc

I emailed her letting her know that Rhonda and I are planning on doing the Watkins Mill cache on Thursday if she want to come along. I had a thought about the "no name" cash that is in Kansas. With the location of the cache it could be something like "Batmans Child" Since it is so small and not really in a cave. Just a thought from someone with too much time on their hands. Ryan and Rhonda

Guest tecmage

Hey Folks,

We're going to take the three hour drive to the KC area either weekend or next. I've been lurking, reading the posts, and it sounds like there are some nice caches in the area.

Here's a hypothetical for the group.....

If we only had time to find a couple, in your opinion, which two would it be? cool.gif

Richard and Tracy

Guest Steve McGinnis

If you are pressed for time, you might want to consider the four at the Arboretum, about 7 miles south of Overland Park. It will take about 2 hours, but it is a beautiful area and you can log four, if you find them. It is also about a 3 or 4 mile walk. They are,GC 715, GC 716, GC 717, and GC 729. I also thought Cave Demons, GC 677, because of the challange. And I also liked the Geocache by Steve Brown, GC 38, it also was quite interesting and a challange. Heck, there all good, just depends on where you are going to be, and for how long.

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest tecmage

Thanks Steve,

We're thinking about doing an over night trip. Come down Saturday morning, go caching, then stay over Saturday night and hit one or two on the way home.

We're planning similar trips to the Chicago area.

Richard and Tracy

Guest Paul Lamble

Looks like I'll be chatting with Liz Austin from the Star about local geocaching. Anybody have anything they want brought up? Or, contact her by email (her address is in her posting). She's eager to talk with anyone.

Just got back from St. Louis where I did a bit of geocaching (along with visiting family). If anyone wants a really great day trip, go to Columbia, Missouri. There are four caches there (I only had time to find two), and the best by far is the Katy Trail 174. What an adventure!

Paul Lamble

Guest rynokc

Liz is going caching with Rhonda, Rusty, and I tomorrow at the Watkins Mill Cache. She is going to bring a photographer also ( I'll make sure that I'm not in the picture lol) She is very excited about it we have talked a couple of times on the phone. Ryan

Guest Steve McGinnis

O.K. Paul or Ryan and Rhonda, you have us all excited about the Star. How about an update report on your visits with Liz?

------------------

smcginnis@terraworld.net

home 20:

N 37 50.532

W094 42.371

Guest Paul Lamble

Sorry, nothing to report because Liz Austin had to travel to Chicago this weekend for some emergency family business. She said she would call me on Monday for background information, but apparently she'll base her article on her one cache trip to Watkins Mill with Ryan.

Too bad, too, because there are a bunch around town I have yet to visit and I would have liked to have added to my miserable count of finds.

PL

Guest rynokc

Everything went fine with the hunt. I let her "drive" once we left the vehicle to look for the actual cache. We found the letterbox first then on to the actual cache. She had a lot of fun, we lunch on the way back. She said the story won't run till late May. She is going to let everyone know.

Guest Todd Svec

HI YA'LL! We're back from the cruise!! The vacation was great, geocaching mixed. We found one in Miami (GCD0) and couldn't find one in Cozumel (GC7D6). Still, we had fun, and placed one (only one) of our own in Haiti, I have yet to post it. The problem with one of these cruises is that you don't stay in an area long enough to find a good spot, unless that's all you're doing. Most of the excursions we went on were either too populated or we couldn't get away. I probably could have hidden another on a beach, but any good storm would probably wash it away. So anyway, we're BACK!!!

Guest Todd Svec

I've also called Liz (and left a voicemail). Might as well give her as much info as possible! We have some funny stories from our trip that are appropriate.

Guest rynokc

I have a small problem. I want to put a cache on a small island that would require a short (50 foot) swim to it. It is in a KC Parks and Rec park. I have contacted them and they said that they cant give permission due to the water. The pond is posted no swimming. However John Hartman also said that no one will care if someone makes the swim or not, they just can't be liable for any injury or drowning. Any thoughts??? I have talked to a lot of KCPD friends of mine and they all said that they don't know of anyone that would arrest or ticket anyone for making the swim. The only problem would arise if there were some type of accident. This can't be much worse then the cave cache's..... HELP!!!! Ryan and Rhonda

Guest Todd Svec

Hmmm. Is it obtainable by boat/canoe? I would not be one to swim to it myself, but it could make for an adventure if one could get there by other means.

Guest Paul Lamble

I'd have to vote against this idea. I've always argued that we ought to get specific permission to hide caches (whether from the landowner or the park manager or whomever) so that we don't cause black eyes for this sport. So the idea of "requiring" someone to deliberately break a posted rule about swimming would seem to me to be the wrong message to send about geocaching. It would be my luck to be the one to get arrested for swimming, and then the explanation would be that I was geocaching and apparently willing to break the rules to do it.

I like the idea of an island cache, but I think there ought to be some permissible way to reach it.

I just don't like the idea of promoting things that will give the sport a bad name in some eyes.

Paul Lamble

Guest rynokc

Oh well, it was just a thought. I talked to John again today, basically what he is saying is that he can't "legally" give permission, but he didn't care if we did it. I guess that I will skip it and try for another place. I will be placing one today, for Rhonda and I's 2nd anniversary. Later, Ryan and Rhonda

Guest guerroloco

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Lamble:

Just got back from St. Louis where I did a bit of geocaching (along with visiting family). If anyone wants a really great day trip, go to Columbia, Missouri. There are four caches there (I only had time to find two), and the best by far is the Katy Trail 174. What an adventure!

Paul Lamble[/b]

Hey, that's one of mine! I'm glad you liked it. There are now six caches in Boone County & Columbia, five of mine and one placed by mjbgis. Katy Trail 174 is my favorite though, because it's in the most scenic location and is the hardest to get to. Regards, Glenn Rice. PS I'll try to make that barbecue next month.

Guest rynokc

Rhonda and I will be down at TableRock Lake this weekend for me to teach a dive class. I have found 2 geocaches down there, I plan on doing both. I thought I would try to let the people that put them out about the BBQ on the 22. Have a great weekend and I hope that everyone likes our new cache that we put out. Ryan and Rhonda