Starting an Event Cache

P1623

I am going to be planning and creating an event cache in my area for the Geocaching in Space promotion. This is my first event cache and I would like to know if you had any helpful hints, tips, or tricks for planning and carrying an event cache out.

Thank You,

Patrick (P1623)

I am going to be planning and creating an event cache in my area for the Geocaching in Space promotion. This is my first event cache and I would like to know if you had any helpful hints, tips, or tricks for planning and carrying an event cache out.

Thank You,

Patrick (P1623)

There's a Geocaching in Space promotion. Seriously?

For the event, try to have something geocaching related for kids. Make the event about geocaching, not going geocaching.

Thank You,

Patrick (P1623)

There's a Geocaching in Space promotion. Seriously?

For the event, try to have something geocaching related for kids. Make the event about geocaching, not going geocaching.

The Geocaching in Space promotion just was released today. It is on the Geocaching blog. Thanks.

Edited by P1623

Food-you don't have to provide it. Make reservations at a place that either has a back room for parties, or won't mind some loudness in their dining area. And not at a place that's too expensive.

Write it up and send it for review as soon as you can. This gives the reviewer time to do their job, and gives people time to book off work, or find a sitter or whatever. Call the place with an estimated number of people showing based on the will attend logs-pay attention the the ones that say "we will" or "Will be here with the wife and geokids" to mean multiple people. Be sure to have a logbook.

Prizes? It's up to you. Maybe a couple TB's or Coins. An ammo can or a few lock and lock containers, stocked with a logbook. You could paint them if you want, or let the winners camo them. Some way to give prizes. Draw names from a hat, or use those "admit one/keep this ticket" ticket rolls. One roll should last you forever. Maybe some space themed dollar store toys for kids.

Games and such? Your first event shouldn't need any. Especially if you're in a restaurant.

We do have a local cacher who has this "thing" it's made from PVC, and if you can get a key out, you find which lock it opens. (Three boxes) and the person gets what's in the box.

Time? I find that most people are good with a 7PM event. Not to late for the kids, not too early that people are still working, and not too far past supper, that people won't want to eat, but it's not too early so people who want or need to eat at home can, and still come for coffee/beer if they want.

Food-you don't have to provide it. Make reservations at a place that either has a back room for parties, or won't mind some loudness in their dining area. And not at a place that's too expensive.

Write it up and send it for review as soon as you can. This gives the reviewer time to do their job, and gives people time to book off work, or find a sitter or whatever. Call the place with an estimated number of people showing based on the will attend logs-pay attention the the ones that say "we will" or "Will be here with the wife and geokids" to mean multiple people. Be sure to have a logbook.

Prizes? It's up to you. Maybe a couple TB's or Coins. An ammo can or a few lock and lock containers, stocked with a logbook. You could paint them if you want, or let the winners camo them. Some way to give prizes. Draw names from a hat, or use those "admit one/keep this ticket" ticket rolls. One roll should last you forever. Maybe some space themed dollar store toys for kids.

Games and such? Your first event shouldn't need any. Especially if you're in a restaurant.

We do have a local cacher who has this "thing" it's made from PVC, and if you can get a key out, you find which lock it opens. (Three boxes) and the person gets what's in the box.

Time? I find that most people are good with a 7PM event. Not to late for the kids, not too early that people are still working, and not too far past supper, that people won't want to eat, but it's not too early so people who want or need to eat at home can, and still come for coffee/beer if they want.

Thanks,

I am doing it on November 6 at 4:30-6:30 since I will be having it outside. I am also looking for geocaching companies to sponsor my event. I have submitted 3 requests already. It would get too dark past 7PM. I can't afford food so I was going to do it before dinner.I am in high school, so I still need some time to do homework, but I want to be a part of this Geocaching In Space promotion with a really cool souvenir. I also want to meet some of my local cachers. In the future, I will try to have food and do it on the weekend.

Again, thanks for your tips.

I appreciate it!

P1623