I can't be the only person from South Dakota, can I?

phantom4099

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

So I am intrested in know who else is in here, and may you could bring some caches to my area, please.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

if you are just look at this way, being the one of the few means theres more people for you to talk to, and more caches to place icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

love your sig.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

So I am intrested in know who else is in here, and may you could bring some caches to my area, please.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

if you are just look at this way, being the one of the few means theres more people for you to talk to, and more caches to place icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

love your sig.

I am thinking about doing a trip out there just for geocaching. But I am takeing a bike trip along the mickelson trail, is there any that are possible to do on a bike (around the trail)?

Wyatt W.

I've been contacted by a reporter in the Sioux Falls area asking for a volunteer to talk with him about geocaching. I realize you don't have much geocaching there yet, but perhaps some publicity will help get more players there.

He contacted me as a representative of Great Plains Geocaching, of which South Dakota is a part. Please let me know if you are interested or can recommend another geocacher there that might want to do this. I can provide statistics and any background material if you like.

The reporter is Josh Munce from KELO, which if I remember correctly, is a TV station there. I have his email address, just drop me a line or post here if you are interested.

SpinWebby

www.gpgeocaching.com

SpinWebby

They've located a geocacher for their story. They'll shoot the interview next week and its scheduled to run October 3rd on KELO TV. So, if you are in that area of SD, please watch for it. Me... I'll have to wait until they post it on their web site, at which time, I'll post a link here if you like.

SpinWebby

SpinWebby

I guess Perry needs to mark his car before he goes out. I think the $270 price tag that they said a unit cost might put people off of the RASH before they even start. They also did not give any of the websites to start looking for a cache.

Wyatt W.

Not being in SD, I saw it on the web. Nicely dramatized piece, but yes, a few bits of misinformation. It wouldn't be "news" without a bit of misunderstanding.

http://www.keloland.com/News/EyeonKELOLAND/NewsDetail209.cfm?Id=22,20191

I didn't realize there is a "program" at Big Sioux. Thats especially cool. I'll have to send them a note of thanks! Wish I could convince the park services here to do that.

SpinWebby

SpinWebby

Nice publicity for geocaching. However, I can't let it go without a comment on the ethics of the story. It's apparent this reporter has no qualms about setting up parts of his story for comic effect -- that is, coaching participants to say certain lines and do certain things. Most TV journalists consider that taboo. The station probably justifies it by saying this is a "feature" piece and not hard news. Still, once they start down that slippery slope it's hard for viewers to know what is real and what's not on their newscasts.

banner-small.gif

No.. of coarse not..we are all here..and more all the time,I know of at least 6 of us that have just gotten started this last year..and at least 4 new caches in this area. I am from the Brookings area,so keep the chin up we just dont have any club to join yet. We need to know that there are a few more of you out there. So speak up South Dakota folk... The Walleye.

The walleye

I too am a geocacher from the Black Hills. There are plenty more in the area, but, like others have said many of them don't post on the boards. I did notice on a recent drive east that there arent too many caches east river. It seems that the majority of caches are near the Black Hills.

Then again, the population may play a part in that as well. SD is one of the lowest populated states and it is a big state (land wise.)

My advise is that if there are no caches in your area, go put some out there. Bring cachers to you!

Diozzy

(Rapid City, SD)

I'm originally from South Dakota, but I am living in Arkansas now. I get back there several times a year, and have done a couple there already. I too would like to see more there, especially in the Eastern side. I think Diozzy is right, the more caches that are out there, the more cachers will come. Then you will have a mini explosion in the area. This is starting to happen down here where I am at.

Cya in SD!

--RuffRidr

"The first condition of progress is the removal of censorship."

--George Bernard Shaw