How I Spent My Weekend...

Jayme H

Today I walked out through the marsh to a nearby "ghost town" that most people around here don't even know exists, despite it once being a major steamboat stop from San Francisco, plus a former railroad depot!

Hoping to remedy that situation and bring more appreciative folks out to such a cool spot, I placed a couple caches... :D

Right up my alley. Perhaps you can share a GC# on us?

Sure! I placed two caches, one to help folks get to the parking area and one closer to the ghost town itself:

GC4W0V9: Where is Wingo?

GC4W0WH: When in Wingo...

FTF is still open on both of them... :lol:

Happy New Year, folks!

Glad to get caught up on a few of your geoadventures. Neat ice pics and ghost town cache locales!

We had a great time grabbing a bunch of new smileys in Elko...in the 8 foot snow drifts. :) Okay, okay...only one of them needed a snow shovel job (and thank goodness because that one ended up being a DNF anyways). We giggled at ourselves and the extent of our search attempts, but it was a memorable and fun search on an absolutely gorgeous day in the hills.

912cc3a6-5848-4469-9feb-ec442e5be7a3.jpg

3eee9a2c-ca4f-419e-9668-b5aaa70d0e59.jpg

We drove home yesterday and ended up turning a 12 hour drive into an 18 hour drive. LOL! Gotta take caching breaks and stretch those legs, right? :P

Have a great rest of your week. Stay safe and warm out there!

Not exactly a weekend outing, but since yesterday was a holiday it counts for this thread.

Yesterday marked the 10th consecutive 'let's go find a really tough multi cache that no one else has found in a while' New Year's Day outing for me. My geopal fishingfools has been with me for 9 of them, only missing one 2 years ago due to family issues. Our target was Gereedschapsschuurtje. For the first time in this tradition we didn't log a find as we couldn't come up with the final stage after 45 minutes of searching preceded by 2.5 hours finding the seven stages that led us there including solving several simple field puzzles.

Meh, we still had a great morning wandering around a 25 acre preserve in the midst of the UNC campus. Our trek wandered on and off the trails for several miles, took us across the creek several times, only twice on a bridge, the rest were rock hops. Fredthedog got to run off his leash the whole time; I'm just glad the fox I spotted was down wind of us otherwise he'd still be chasing him. Since we were in a college area, it wasn't surprising to see some odd things in the woods too. And as a consolation prize we did find the two stage multi in the same forest.

BTW the title is Dutch for Tool Shed; this CO went through a stage of a series of different translations for that same title.

Not exactly a weekend outing, but since yesterday was a holiday it counts for this thread.

Yesterday marked the 10th consecutive 'let's go find a really tough multi cache that no one else has found in a while' New Year's Day outing for me. My geopal fishingfools has been with me for 9 of them, only missing one 2 years ago due to family issues. Our target was Gereedschapsschuurtje. For the first time in this tradition we didn't log a find as we couldn't come up with the final stage after 45 minutes of searching preceded by 2.5 hours finding the seven stages that led us there including solving several simple field puzzles.

Meh, we still had a great morning wandering around a 25 acre preserve in the midst of the UNC campus. Our trek wandered on and off the trails for several miles, took us across the creek several times, only twice on a bridge, the rest were rock hops. Fredthedog got to run off his leash the whole time; I'm just glad the fox I spotted was down wind of us otherwise he'd still be chasing him. Since we were in a college area, it wasn't surprising to see some odd things in the woods too. And as a consolation prize we did find the two stage multi in the same forest.

BTW the title is Dutch for Tool Shed; this CO went through a stage of a series of different translations for that same title.

And don't forget Monday's encounter with scattered, smothered and covered! :anibad:

My weekend was filled with a small number of caches around the Durham/Chapel Hill area while out visiting family. The long holiday trip also involved attending an event where we swapped a bunch of TBs, and I was able to meet some new folks, and reacquaint with familiar folks. That, and a warp-drive on ramp experience in a Tesla S. Not an event I'll soon forget! (I'm still walking off the calories from the Waffle House) :laughing:

562db368-d4f3-4b6f-9a71-de733d0b3d51.jpg

Edited by NeverSummer

For NYE a group of friends and I backpacked up to the Hikers Hut in the Santa Cruz Mountains to spend the night and celebrate the new year. Yep, there's a cache right at the hut and a few others nearby, as well as along the hike up... so I made sure to grab a few. :D Anyone who thinks they might be in the area at some point - I highly recommend staying a night or two up there! Gorgeous views, a nice hike, a good number of caches around, and very inexpensive!

The hut:

1505599_10202899988280358_746699946_n.jpg

Last sunset of 2013, from the hut:

1535537_10202905178530111_1437438288_n.jpg

Hiking out on New Years day:

1517479_10202899990880423_1698065647_n.jpg

Edited by redwoodkestrel

I wouldn't call it a weekend since I ended up having to work on a Sunday. But on Saturday, it was a great get-together with some cachers from SF (I'm in the east bay) to hike up to Mission Peak (2517 elevation with 2200 gain)in Fremont(CA). Most visitors would hike on the switch back trail which is about 5.6 miles round trip and may take up to 5 hours. We, as cachers went up from the south and across the ridge, over the top and back down the switch back trail on the north with a few detours for other caches. We hiked 12 miles, found about 19 caches (I found 18 cause one I had found before) in 7 hours. Two were puzzles and one was a multi. About a quarter of the way up it became windy the rest of the way to the top. At the top is a post that is suppose to show you the different directions. Only problem is they are facing wrong. North is facing West and so on. Someone strapped a small christmas tree to the post. One of the cacher's son pointed out a snake. It was about a foot long Gopher Snake. I picked it up for pictures and then released it. Couldn't believe it was out in the 55-60 degrees. 34b07392-3c01-4a7e-beb0-d436494b3a8d.jpg

Some cachers on this forum may have done this trail.

Edited by jellis

Whew! I have missed you guys...and caching.

Not been able to get out a lot in the past few weeks - did get to celebrate the 10th anniversary of EarthCaches with a great event though. Life takes over sometimes, huh?

Anyone been up to anything fun out there? I'd love some fun inspiration. :)

P.S. I should have some fun adventures to tell you about next week, as we are headed down to Portland this weekend. WooHOO!

5b091aa2-0b2e-4599-b344-56d6144e0557.jpg

this would have to be my hardest cache, got up at 4.45am so we could be at the car park at 6.30, all went well and we started our hike (we are not trampers at all) it took us 5.5 hours to do the first leg with many stops and rest's. once we got to the hut we quickly found the cache and was heart fallen when we saw another name but as it turned out the person who had found the cache wasn't a cacher and just put a note in that he dried it out and put it back, it took 4.5 hours due to 85% being down hill. we are now all very sore and can hardly move and are dreading what its going to feel like tomorrow, loved being out doing/trying something we wouldn't normally do

Happy Monday, folks!

From the look of these stories and pictures, it seems that there are some excellent adventures getting you outdoors to play. Keep it up!

Last weekend we went to Portland to visit some friends and ended up doing a bit of city caching - we grabbed some Virtuals, Multis, and an EarthCache. What a great little tour of some neat hidden places and a nice way to learn some history of the city. Geocaching is the BEST travel guide. :)

Anybody get outside this weekend? Anyone fly to New York and go geocaching? :P

Happy Monday, folks!

From the look of these stories and pictures, it seems that there are some excellent adventures getting you outdoors to play. Keep it up!

Last weekend we went to Portland to visit some friends and ended up doing a bit of city caching - we grabbed some Virtuals, Multis, and an EarthCache. What a great little tour of some neat hidden places and a nice way to learn some history of the city. Geocaching is the BEST travel guide. :)

Anybody get outside this weekend? Anyone fly to New York and go geocaching? :P

I live in New York (along with a lot of other people) but didn't do any geocaching last weekend. I lot of people flew to nearby New Jersey to watch a football game. The closest cache to the stadium has not found logs on Sunday and only 1 on Saturday.

Last weekend, our church had its annual Shape N Race Derby (like the Pinewood Derby trademarked by the Boy Scouts of America). Each year I've been a leader, I've built my own car. This year, my car was geocaching themed:

a43ff189-0736-49be-83be-1a6f54350920.jpg?rnd=0.5336573

I call it "UPS". Some of the kids even noticed the camouflage-painted container under the unnatural pile of sticks and recognized that it was a geocache car.

I've been waiting for the -25 to -30C weather to abate a bit, and sunday was a nearly perfect -15C maybe a bit warmer in the sun. Got a late start, to run a few km up a local trail, in order to check a local multi owned by a buddy, and to scout locations for some new caches. Trouble with late starts is that you run into a point where the sun has already set behind the mountains locally and when the shade envelops you it gets colder quickly.

Got part of the goals done and then got the heck back to the car... still had a great few hours.

Today it was up to -1C or higher and things started melting, and the skiing wasn't so good at the golf course despite some new snow... so I'm glad I got the photo on Sunday. More thaw on the way too darn... what a winter!

2840meskimd.jpg

Ready to start out.

Doug 7rxc

45" of snow so far in New Jersey this winter. (We average 24".) We're not used to this! So we went for a parking lot micro listed as 'highly snow friendly'. Well, after you crunch through three feet of snow...

9df5b782-df20-4db3-9642-65f8a1d8e288.jpg

And here, I'm driving around with my air conditioner on. Did the Earth tilt and nobody noticed?

:rolleyes:

And here, I'm driving around with my air conditioner on. Did the Earth tilt and nobody noticed?

:rolleyes:

My kid is going to school in Vermont, with more snow on the way. At least they prefer playing broom ball on the ice rather than looking for containers. But I got a little sunburned walking along a rocky ocean coast while completing three earthcaches. Or enjoying the sunset, without having to wear a jacket, after finding a cache that brought us here:

70b3ffc7-3b7e-42c4-aba1-45d91b87a4cf.jpg

Love those pictures, gang! Crazy snow in one spot, A/C blasting in another spot....in Seattle we have just been WET. I applaud all of you who have been getting out and grabbing smileys in your respective weather.

Geodarts: Nice spot! Thanks for taking us all on a little beachy mind trip with you.

We've got some clear skies headed our way. Looking forward to putting the pen to some paper this weekend.

My wife and I got out and placed Homer, AK's first night cache. It was an adventure to beat all so far this winter. While placing relectors for the first hald I was chased off by a moose and calf. (That was new and exciting) Then, with snow falling and light disappearing, my wife and I finished the placement and promptly broke the lid of the container. With some field repairs and much shaking of my fist to the sky, the cache was beta tested later that night and published.

So...the 10 day forecast of clear skies (that I was so excited about last week) turned out to be a lie. <_< Weekend after weekend of not getting outside to play was really getting to us, so we packed up our jackets and headed north for some adventure time...in the newly predicted snow warning. For those who live outside of the Pacific Northwest and normally have HUGE snow storms, I apologize for my use of the term "snow warning" - serious messages from NOAA get us all excited here. :P

What we had was an amazing FULL day of caching fun in the slush, wet snow, rain, dry snow, and compact snow (not pictured). I remember a moment while driving up north where I just got incredibly excited....out of the blue I stated (in a very clear Bilbo Baggins accent) "We're going on an adventure!" My sweet husband did a double take and we just started giggling. Caching brings out the silliness in me I guess.

I took a few pictures to share with y'all. It was so beautiful! I love how all the trees get perfectly highlighted.

5ffa8bab-660e-437a-b1ad-748f747f75dc.jpg

c5fafb7f-67c7-403c-9518-c1d4406165b2.jpg

Anyway...it felt so great to get outside and play with my sweetie. Isn't it funny how you seem to forget about all those "things you need to do" when you are out looking for a cache? I love it.

It was gorgeous here this past weekend, so all three of us did a short hike to a virtual in the wildlife refuge nearby, then I dropped off wife and baby and did the 14-cache series "X Marks The Spot." I think it was around a 10.5-mile hike all around, most hiking I've done in quite a while. Sore and a little tired at the end, but good times!

(Sorry, no photos -- I was traveling light.)

Saturday looks like good warm weather again for the day, so hopefully I'll get out for another hike.

It was great to visit late summer in Chile for about a week and a half. I got back yesterday and we are waiting for another snow. This is Moai, or more precisely "No te Moai" in Santiago. I also took a trip up into the Andes, but the bus wouldn't stop when we were within 200' of another cache. Next time I'll just rent a car.

notemoai_zpsb66b5772.jpg

All the snow pictures! It's about 30 degrees C here!

We went out into the desert on Friday and tried to pick up a few caches. Managed to find three in the end, DNF'ed another three, but had a great time. One area had lots of tiny flowers and many butterflies. No photos unfortunately as it was in an area where you're not allowed to take photos. A nice, empty beach though. I'll keep that in mind for some swimming later on.

Happy March!

We had a fun, mini friend reunion this weekend. Some non-caching friends came from Colorado and Oregon and we all rented a house in Tacoma together. We were out at a bar on Friday night with a larger group and my husband and I realized that we had 3 more geocaches that we needed to find before the clock struck midnight. :o LOL! So we slipped away and grabbed a few quick smileys before February turned into March. Isn't it funny how these little goals that we set for ourselves seep into our everyday activities. That's how you know you're addicted. :P

The next day we took everybody (including a set of 4 year old twins) out to find a geocache in the rain, on the beach, in Point Defiance Park. The little guys love "treasure hunting." They were chanting "geocache, geocache" while getting their shoes on before we left. I really love sharing this fun hobby with friends.

Have a great week, everybody!

P.S. We've almost made it through the dark days of winter...for those of you who participate, Daylight Savings Time switches next Sunday! WooHOO!!

This weekend we had our 8th annual Ice Walk event. Cachers from near and far came for the opportunity to cross the ice to one of two islands to get the 27 caches on each island. We rented a local community center and had pot luck food (chili, soups, fricot, beans, desserts, etc) available all day for the tired cachers. Was a big success.

Link to some of the photos

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.aspx?guid=d3ff4a73-5e0f-4faf-9413-597a35f36053

PAul

Hiking across the mountain for an earthcache.

610b52ba-d222-4787-adc6-0fee470342ac.jpg

Then stopping at a a Wherigo that reminded me that this game can take you to interesting places:

5238558c-63e8-42a3-8e40-b46ded257fb4.jpg

But no time for caches today. Terry Jenkins, one of my favorite players, just completed a major upset against Michael van Gerwin, the top ranked darts professional, that will take him into the finals of the UK Open. The Raging Bull is back.

Happy Monday, geogang!

We were super grateful for some dry weather on Saturday and took the opportunity to get out and grab a few challenge caches that we've been meaning to find.

It has been so wonderful to have the extra daylight in the evenings this past week. It will now be more tempting to stop and grab a few smileys on the way home from work. Our routes might start getting more creative. :D

Have a great week, everyone! Looking forward to hearing what you've all been up to.

A memorable weekend that started out with a visit to the Aztec UFO crash site. A beautiful location for a cache in its own right, but we never would have visited it had it not been near to the crash site. Most people dismiss the incident as a hoax that started with a known con man, but others have defended its place in the annals of history and put up a plaque to commemorate the event - perhaps the only such plaque in the world. I asked Aura Raines to investigate.

08f66439-c471-4a98-bd7b-68b2cc7861d9.jpg

My wife wanted to know if others used cartoon characters for caching logs. I assured her it was a common practice.

We made our way to several (yet to be logged) virtuals and earthcaches in the Arches and Goblin Valley in Utah. But the real highlight was a seven mile hike to the Great Gallery at Horseshoe Canyon (part of Canyonlands NP). The site that all other petroglyph sites can only begin to approach. Ancient shrouded figures, full of mystery. One of the wonders of the world, different than anything I have ever seen.

In the old days, it should have been a virtual. It is too bad that such a place cannot be a part of this game, but if I I can pull together enough geology to work on an earthcache, I may try to develop that. Still, it is more of a cultural, historic, and artistic spot. Just the kind of place for a virtual.

Edited by geodarts

Thanks to Jayme for starting this inspiring thread!

I am surrounded at HQ with people who seek adventure. Therefore, when the time came for some fall hikes with my family, I sought their advice. They highly recommended Monte Cristo. It had all the elements I love - it involved an 8 mile round-trip hike, was in a beautiful place, offered an opportunity to show my children a REAL ghost town, and was an old geocache (one of Jeremy's originals from 2000)!

I was not disappointed. If you are in the Seattle area, and enjoy hiking, you should visit Monte Cristo! The townsite even has a railroad turntable that you can turn by hand!

ea69ef64-1a32-462d-afd4-b2ce868c16b1.jpg

As the next weekend rolled around, we looked for another adventure. Mt Pilchuck was our next epic adventure. Purgatory is a geocache worth climbing for!

e8f99f4b-c30e-4ee0-8122-68e91ac6a42e.jpg

Everyday I am amazed at geocaching adventures not far from home. Thanks to everyone for posting their inspirational photos. Geocaching takes us to some great places.

Cindy / Frau Potter

Great thread, we actually went there November 3rd and as we were driving up we hit a blizzard and by the time we got to parking there were 6" of snow on the ground. We were going to give up but decided to go grab the first cache along the trail and as we were approaching it we saw blue sky towards Monte Cristo so we decided to go for it.

Very cool hike, very cool place, here is my picture thats basically the same as yours only with a bit more snow.

d58ea8ca-9f88-45b2-bdb2-1c25fd082a7b.jpg

Although it wasn't last weekend it was last month and spanned 2 weekends, I hopped on a bus in Vancouver B.C. and travelled across Canada to Montreal then down to Boston, up to Maine, back down to New York and back to Vancouver through the States. I visited 6 provinces and 13 States in 11 days. It was a very cool trip.

We have been out geocaching two weekends in a row now...first time in awhile. Thanks for the assist, Mother Nature. :P

Last weekend we motored on up to Vancouver, BC to stay in a fancy hotel and celebrate both of our birthdays (mine is in late March and his is this week) by exploring a new city together. We had a fantastic time! We found an EarthCache in Stanley Park while riding a tandem bike (that was quite a fun, new experience), we found caches along the waterfront by the big convention center, we found BC's oldest cache, we dropped off a bunch of TBs that were in need of a new adventure....whew!! It is always so hard to fit all the fun adventures we want to do into a weekend.

Yesterday we enjoyed a lovely hike in the sunshine by grabbing some great puzzles that we solved in the fall. It feels so great to be getting outside a bit more lately.

What have y'all been up to lately? Anything fun? Excited to check in with everyone and catch up on your latest adventures.

Well, Jayme, I'm glad you asked. :)

I'm slowly working away at the Washington Delorme Challenge and noticed that I had a few sections open near the coast. I've also been craving some ocean time. It was pouring rain in Seattle, and I noticed that the coast might actually have a short window without rain so I hopped in the car Saturday. Had an amazing time finding some caches in parks I've never visited before in the Westport and Ocean Shores area. Definitely going to head back to that area sometime this summer for some more caching.

38d5feba-364a-4eb8-8a8f-410ff271bff9.jpg?rnd=0.9316001

Since the weather has finally warmed up a bit in NW PA, we've gotten out the past three weekends to do some serious caching. The first two weekends we spent doing the newest geoart in NW PA. The Pirate Geoart series. Then this past weekend, we were able to knock out the PA State Star geoart.

This weekend, we had our annual Easter event. This year, I did both a daytime and nighttime event. The nighttime was extra fun as we got to play with glowsticks. At each of 40 locations, we hid 1 egg with a glowstick inside and 2 eggs with chocolate. We all wore glow-necklaces too and it was incredibly fun. The daytime event, each team had 10 locations to visit. In previous years, people simply went to the 10 sets of coordinates and retrieved chocolate-stuffed eggs. This year, the eggs contained gold coins which they used to purchase chocolate a the Bunny Store. 9 of the locations had a jigsaw puzzle piece, which they assembled to find the 10th location. 1 location had a basket hanging in a tree. 1 location had a riddle they had to solve. 61 people for the daytime, 30 people came out for the nighttime.

d35a77ff-10a7-46fd-b495-492eb6e6f643.jpg

d2ece27b-ed12-455b-9720-08609e2b7924.jpg

423da93f-9056-4a2d-9881-79e129809d67.jpg

e6afc8a7-831e-4031-847e-473a2ff434d9.jpg

f6a3ffbe-a4e2-482a-8bc7-db333e4c6a19.jpg

914d7fc9-9bcc-4c5e-a17a-d506c63d62d1.jpg

3199816b-cbdc-4679-b5fd-39147f0fd3ec.jpg

ce36bd0b-7c6e-40cb-b1d5-8508069a6486.jpg

8e2cfdcf-5e93-41db-8c16-c52b8e79ae74.jpg

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Well, tomorrow I leave for Las Vegas where I'm renting a car and driving through Arizona, New Mexico, Texas , Louisiana, Arkansas Oklahoma and back to vegas. I'll take side trips to Mexico, the Alamo, Grand Canyon, meteor crater. Once back in vegas I'm meeting friends for some power trail caching around Route 66.

I'll try and post a few pics.

Yesterday morning we decided to go swimming. As we're living on a very gentle carbonate platform it's not easy to find water that is deep enough even at high tide. Our last attempt at swimming brought us to a location of knee deep water, even after wading out some 400m. So we drove west, found two caches along the drive and a wonderful beach with deepish, wonderful clear and green water. No photos though as it's situated in oil country where you're not allowed to take photos. Still a great day!