Etrex 20 disappearing maps!

Fangamon

Etrex 20 disappearing maps!

Some Garmin CN maps are on the internal SD card but not all showing in setup.

Here is a list of maps I have on my SD card and with the firmware version of 3.30 renaming is not a problem.

24bp8bl.jpg

What is happening is that I got the latest Navteq 2014.20 CN for Australia which loaded up OK and was able to be enabled in the setup map menu.

But I have since changed it's name so that I won't be confused with a similar Sensis map that was loaded later, problem started after this.

The later loaded Sensis img however never showed up in the map setup menu and now the Navteq img won't show up in the setup menu either. But they are still there in the SD card.

Changing names back to original file names does not help!

Do I have a similar map img conflict or is there something else going on here?

:blink:

Edited by PigSti

Looking at the number of maps you have loaded I suspect you've reached the 4000 map 'tile' limit. You'll need to remove some or use 2 sd cards and swap as required.

I never have more than two 'ENABLED' maps at any one time. They just reside in the SD card until the area they are needed for is travelled.

Surely the tile limit does not apply to map img's not enabled in setup!?

Tile limit only applies to those maps enabled in set-up, YES?

:huh:

@ that I will create another folder besides the GARMIN one and put the extra imgs there and see what happens. It's just that USB v1.0 is slow!!!

Edited by PigSti

Well I never, thanks sussamb!!!!

The eTrex 20 and 30 have an expandable memory slot into which a microSD* card can be inserted. This card provides the ability to install detailed mapping to enhance the device's internal basemap.

It is recommended a standard speed card, no larger than 32 GB, be used in order to get the best performance from the device. Class 4 to Class 10 is considered standard speed.

While considering memory limitations, another limitation is the number of individual mapping segments. Roughly 3,000 mapping segments can be transferred to the eTrex 20 or 30.

If you surpass the map segment limits, the device may experience map display errors. To prevent map display errors, use SD cards to divide the map into regions, keeping each map region below the map segment limit.

*While any microSD card brand should work, Garmin has only tested more common brands such as SanDisk and Kingston.

I just moved all the not needed map imgs out into another folder called 'Extras' and hey presto, it worked. :rolleyes:

I think that only those imgs needed should be in the 'Garmin' folder and all others to be in another folder of another name.

I guess the lack of any substantial or complete instruction manual could be the reason it's so hard to come to grips with it! :unsure:

-----------------------------

For those who want the low down on Garmin hand helds and the where's and why's on how to really operate them, then go here...

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/wgarmin.htm

Edited by PigSti