Automatically put caches on watchlist if DNF logged

DENelson83

Whenever I log a DNF on a cache, I always like to wait until after someone else has found it before attempting to find it again. To that end, I like to put DNF'd caches on my watchlist so I can know precisely when someone else has logged a find on it, so I don't always have to check. It would be more convenient, though, if this was done automatically upon logging a DNF. Can you give premium members this option?

Agreed, it should be an option at most.

If I'm caching somewhere miles from home, somewhere I'm probably not returning to in the foreseeable future, I wouldn't necessarily be bothered about whether the next person after me found the cache.

But for me, if someone else subsequently finds the cache, it's confirmation to me that it's still in place, and I can then try for it again. If I fail to find a geocache, there's really no point in me making the very next attempt by anyone to find it. I'll just fail to find it again, making it more likely that I'll just strike it from my map as a nuisance and be done with it.

As for me being worried about whether the cache is a very long distance away, that's not an issue for me. No cache that I look for is more than 10 km away from where I live.

Edited by DENelson83

I bookmark them. But I dont want this automatically done...

I would rather have them added to a Bookmark automatically than put on a watch list. That way I could run a PQ from the bookmark periodically.

But that doesn't give you the automatic notification that I use.

That could be a different feature. Automatically received notification on any cache on a specific bookmark. Create a bookmark list called "watchlist". Any cache added to it would generate a notification whenever a log was posted.

That's why I said it should be an option. You don't have to if you don't want to, but I'd love to be able to for my DNF's.

There are so many improvements that they could make to this site, and you want them to spend time on this so you can save two mouse clicks?

Maybe a better option would be a "Do you want to add this to your Watchlist" checkbox on all of the the log pages.

I would rather have them added to a Bookmark automatically than put on a watch list. That way I could run a PQ from the bookmark periodically.

But that doesn't give you the automatic notification that I use.

It does. My bookmark is called 'DNF watchlist' and I get a notifications on it just like a watchlist. Only it doesn't show up on the cache page as a 'user watching this cache'

And yes, it's seriously takes 2 clicks. Well, 2 clicks and a drop down pick.

That's why I said it should be an option. You don't have to if you don't want to, but I'd love to be able to for my DNF's.

Sounds fine to me. How would we implement such an option? I propose we make it an option I can choose for each cache. I know, how about if we have a button on the cache page that let's me add it to my watch list after I log a DNF. Or before I log a DNF. Or whenever.

Hey, check it out: they've implemented it for you already!!

Seriously, I know you think automatically adding a DNF to your watchlist would be super useful, but it's a trivial convenience that's not really interesting enough to implement, document, support...or use.

There are so many improvements that they could make to this site, and you want them to spend time on this so you can save two mouse clicks?

It's just one mouse click, isn't it?

Sounds fine to me. How would we implement such an option? I propose we make it an option I can choose for each cache. I know, how about if we have a button on the cache page that let's me add it to my watch list after I log a DNF. Or before I log a DNF. Or whenever.

Hey, check it out: they've implemented it for you already!!

Seriously, I know you think automatically adding a DNF to your watchlist would be super useful, but it's a trivial convenience that's not really interesting enough to implement, document, support...or use.

It's just one mouse click, isn't it?

After you post your log you have to click on the cache title to go back to the cache page. A second click on the watchlist link and your done. I have to admit that after posting Will Attend logs, I often forget to add the cache to my watchlist, so a checkbox/reminder would be handy. This is why I suggested that if it be done, it should be available for all logs.