Finding distances between caches 0nline

4evrCking

Hi,

I've placed a few caches now and every once in a while I get a note from the reviewer that it is too close to another cache.

The last cache I placed I was told that the cache was within 161m or 528ft from another cache that I had previously placed, I don't think it is, but I'm not sure, so I want to check the distance online.

Obviously the reviewer has a tool that shows him/her how close caches are from another cache in the area.

I've checked online for GPS coordinate distance calculators, but none seem user friendly, which tells me I must be entering in the coordinates incorrectly or doing something wrong.

Can anyone point me to a GPS distance coordinate calculator website, and give a brief description, or sample, on how to properly enter in the coordinates?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you,

4evrCking

You could always download a bunch if caches in the area to your GPS. Then when you go to place the cache, select the nearest one and see how far away it is.

Then there's ? caches, and parts to multi caches you can't see on the map. And caches that have not been published yet.

You can always ask your reviewer to see if the location is good, before you place the cache as well. This is a good idea if you plan on putting a lot of work into the cache so it fits the specific location. Really not fun to do all that work only to find out you're too close to another cache, and you don't have anyplace else to put yours.

Hi,

Thanks for the link to the distance calculator at http://www.chemical-ecology.net/java/lat-long.htm

To enter the coordinates I took the coordinates from my GPS and had GPS coordinates of:

First point coordinate: N 43 11.564 and W 080 26.976

Second point coordinate: N 43 11.689 and W 080 27.044

This means I had Degrees, Minutes, but no seconds so I entered:

First point North:

Degrees = 43

Minutes = 11.564

Seconds = left blank

Compass = N

and West:

Degrees = 080

Minutes = 26.976

Seconds = left blank

Compass = W

Second point:

First point North:

Degrees = 43

Minutes = 11.689

Seconds = left blank

Compass = N

and West:

Degrees = 080

Minutes = 27.044

Seconds = left blank

Compass = W

This seems to work OK and gave me the distance between the points.

Thanks for your help,

4evrCking

Edited by 4evrCking