How much is one expected to do to maintain someone ele's cache?

2wheels4cache

I still new and confused about this area. Well, I'm confused about lots of things, but let's address this one here.

I understand that I am supposed to carry paper and baggies to replace full or wet log sheets. No problem, except I'm not buying nano or bison logs just to fix someone's cache. If a torn sheet will fit in a bison, okay, I can do that.

I've also been told that I should carry film canisters. Since the advent of digital photography, I have no film canisters.

I often geocache on my bicycle and there is a limit to what I can carry. Bicycle repair kit, first aid kit, map, water, snacks, GPS, SWAG, extra bateries, paper and baggies.

What else should am I expected to do? I don't want to be stubborn about it, but do not know what is expected.

I'm a brand new cacher, and don't have a truly educated experience just yet. But, i've "fixed" two caches so far that needed some TLC. New log in one, and fixed the hiding spot in another. The fun of the hunt is finding a cool container with either cool stuff to trade, or a nice log to sign. If the log is soggy, wet and damp, its no fun. I think the best you can do is use the boy scout motto of "left it cleaner than you found it" or however that goes. Make it just as fun for you as it was for the next cacher. I dont think you really need to buy bison logs, since someone else already got the FTF, just write the date on top of the first log in the "replaced" log, and continue on.

Thats just my 2 cents.

I still new and confused about this area. Well, I'm confused about lots of things, but let's address this one here.

I understand that I am supposed to carry paper and baggies to replace full or wet log sheets. No problem, except I'm not buying nano or bison logs just to fix someone's cache. If a torn sheet will fit in a bison, okay, I can do that.

I've also been told that I should carry film canisters. Since the advent of digital photography, I have no film canisters.

I often geocache on my bicycle and there is a limit to what I can carry. Bicycle repair kit, first aid kit, map, water, snacks, GPS, SWAG, extra bateries, paper and baggies.

What else should am I expected to do? I don't want to be stubborn about it, but do not know what is expected.

Number one-you are not required. It's just a nice thing to do, like holding the door open for someone. If you happen to have an extra logsheet, put it in. If not, don't worry about it, leave a Needs Maintenance log on the page and a found it log.

Just a request, please don't just leave a torn piece of paper as a log, leave a proper log. You don't have to go out and buy anything special. Go to http://www.techblazer.com/geocaching-log-sheets (LINK)/ You can print them. If you want to get fancy, you can put "replacement log by..." Print them at home, and it's what? $0.12 per page?

Why would you carry film containers? (beside the fact that they aren't the best container) To replace a cache that you think is missing? How do you know if it's really missing, or you just can't find it? I have a cache that is obvious, not hidden at all, that people always think is gone. Anyway it's the CO's job to replace the cache. Replacing someone else's cache like that is called a throwdown. If you replace one of my caches-missing or not-and sign the log,then log it online, it really isn't finding my cache is it?

As for what to carry? As much as you want. I usually have a couple writing sticks, GPS, Phone, First Aid(Just bandaids and such in my backpack) a log roller, and my leatherman. I've been known to go caching without even a GPS or my cellphone, and also with my bag that has everything I could possibly need in it. There are many threads on what people carry to go geocaching.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Reading up on this topic, It's nice of you to add paper to a wet log, However when you find a cache that needs more than TLC. you log you found it and iIt needs maintains. I have 3 caches. out it's my responsibility to maintain the cache. not anyone else. I never heard you had to bring a film canister, most Geocachers do not want people fixing cache that are not being maintain by the owner. Please alway log needs maintains and what wrong with the cache so the owner can fix it, You should just go out and have fun finding caches.....happy geocaching

You are under no obligation to fix other people's caches. Some folks will do it just to be nice but it is the owner's responsibility to take care of maintenance issues with their caches, not yours. In fact, many would argue that you should not fix other folks' caches because it enables poor owner behavior (not taking care of their own hides).

I'll carry some spare log sheets and maybe replace a wet log or a baggie. I also carry a roll of camouflage duct tape and I will maybe patch up a cracked container. But that's about it, I don't carry spare containers.

If you feel inclined to help out, carry a few basic repair supplies, but you are under no requirement to do so. If the cache is in worse shape than you want to mess with, post a NM (Needs Maintenance) log, which will send an email to the owner notifying them of the problem (be specific what maintenance it needs so they can bring the proper supplies with them). They SHOULD then visit their cache and perform the necessary repairs, if they're still active. If they don't that's not your fault, you did your part by notifying then of the problem.

For maintenance supplies we carry a few small ziplocks, three or four folded paper towels for drying out wet containers, and a small note pad to provide a spare log sheet or two when needed. We also carry a few old ziplocks (that have been used for sandwiches and such) for CITO-ing wet swag and any garbage in the area.

There is no requirement for you to do maintenance on other people's caches. However, it is courteous and helpful to do so - within reason. Helping a cache that has minor issues is okay and usually appreciated. Enabling a lazy/missing cache owner is never a good idea.

Edited by 6NoisyHikers

Thanks for the advice. I didn't get the idea of the film canisters, either, except the person who told me that often uses them as cache containers. I certainly wouldnd't "replace" someone's cache -- it is more like that I just didn't find it.

TDM - thanks for the web link. That would be easy enough to do.

The only time you should replace a cache container is if you find the original and it is broken. So, you find a film canister with the log and it's cracked. If you have another film canister, go ahead and place the log in the new one and remove the cracked one. Do not ever place a new container for a cache that you can't find. That's cheating.

As a Finder, one's responsibility is to find a cache, sign the log, and tell the story on the website. (This is the minimum)

As a Cache Owner, one is responsible to place a cache with accurate coordinates and maintain the cache.

We have a Needs Maintenance log option to alert the cache owner of issues with their cache.

It may be a nice thing to do, but cache maintenance is not a finder's responsibility.

To the OP here is my opinion/experience on this. I recently started a series in my area and in the description of most if not all the caches it says please replace container if missing needless to say I posted a needs maintenance on quite a few caches that day due to broken or no containers, ziploc baggies half full of water. If I am asked to help maintain a cache due to laziness or not able to properly maintain I will refuse but if I come across a cache that needs a log or baggie I will place a new log/baggie with the old log to help out.

And let's not forget that every complete caching kit should have a UV light. B)
Why? What do you use it for?
Well, some caches use the UV Light Required attribute...

UV-yes.gif

The UV Light Required caches that I've found have used fluorescent paint or ink to hide information until the material was viewed in the dark under a UV light.

PS. you should bring a pencil, some caches are too small to hold them

And let's not forget that every complete caching kit should have a UV light. B)

Why? What do you use it for?

To provide UV "illumination"...

Or just in case you happen to go to a club and they don't have any set up.

Maintaining a cache, as a finder, is totally up to you. However, if you take it upon yourself to do needed repairs, do it right. I hate to find a micro, where logs have been added to the point the wad of paper is not able to be removed. Or, a leaking container, that had a new log placed, but, is still leaking.

For maintaining cacches, our pack contains some baggies, paper, camo duct tape, and we recently added an assortment of rubber o-rings that I found in a dollar bin somewhere (great for bison tube/match container types). All are common items that suffer wear, tear, and loss very easily.

David

I know of one that I can see from my living room - across the lake and in a bush - if you know where to look - and I'm not going to say where. I've thought of replacing it in the same location with a Bison tube because it is a cheap piece of scrap plastic that leaks to the point of destroying the log. I posted it as needing maintenance when I found it but I don't believe that's happened. After reading through this I don't think I'll be offending anyone by doing so - only trying to help.

For maintaining cacches, our pack contains some baggies, paper, camo duct tape, and we recently added an assortment of rubber o-rings that I found in a dollar bin somewhere (great for bison tube/match container types). All are common items that suffer wear, tear, and loss very easily.

David

Dollar store items are hit and miss. Usually lower quality, with the occasional decent item. However I would not trust an o-ring to be of any quality. I actually think if the caches gets that worn out before it has to be replaced, that the dollar store o-ring would make it worse.

I know of one that I can see from my living room - across the lake and in a bush - if you know where to look - and I'm not going to say where. I've thought of replacing it in the same location with a Bison tube because it is a cheap piece of scrap plastic that leaks to the point of destroying the log. I posted it as needing maintenance when I found it but I don't believe that's happened. After reading through this I don't think I'll be offending anyone by doing so - only trying to help.

Offending? Nope. But your not helping anyone either. If the container need to be replaced and you logged a NM on it with no response, then log a needs archived on it. If you think it's a good location put your own cache there.

Thanks. I now have a repair kit of plastic baggies for logs or swag, log paper, paper towels for drying out wet caches. Plastic bags are easily available in the grocery store, but the snack size is the smallest I can find. Bought some 0-rings from the hardware store, but they were the wrong size for the containers I found that needed one.

Thanks. I now have a repair kit of plastic baggies for logs or swag, log paper, paper towels for drying out wet caches. Plastic bags are easily available in the grocery store, but the snack size is the smallest I can find. Bought some 0-rings from the hardware store, but they were the wrong size for the containers I found that needed one.

Craft stores for bag sizes other than what you have been finding.

Maintaining a stock of O-rings is a difficult proposition. You would need a multitude of different diameters in conjunction with ring thickness. In regards to O-rings, I think you are better off carrying only a few (if any) and relying on a NM log mostly.

Paper towels... hmmmm... we carry an assortment of hand towels in the geomobile and one in the pack, changing wet for dry as required. You can get a load of hand towels at the *Dollar Store* something like 5 for $6.00 or less, even. Paper towels themselves create lots of "additional" trash.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
Pharmacies also have small ziplock bags. They don't have as many sizes as craft stores do, but the ones they have tend to be heavier (since they're intended to keep medications dry, rather than to organize beads and craft supplies).

I bought an assortment of O ring sizes for my cache repair kit. There are a dozen or so O rings of each size, with 8 different sizes. I figure that the ones that fit common sizes of Bison tubes will get used up, and then I'll know what size to buy when I restock.

I will add replacement logs, plastic baggies and maybe a pencil with sharpener (if room permits) but nothing else. When I log a find I will tell the CO if I replaced the log and why; if I add a new log I will write "replacement log" on it. If the old log is still readable and there's room for it in the cache I will leave it in the cache because the CO may want it. If the old log got wet and it's rolled into a ball and not readable, I will take it with me. Other than that if it needs a new container I will let the CO know it needs maintenance because it's their cache ... hopefully they are a responsible Cacher and go check it out.