Easter Ne/ Western Ia Getogether?

Guest cedricmackay

Guest cedricmackay

Would any one be interested in haveing a geocache get together for the People in Omaha area? Just a thought could even set up some caches for that day or weekend.

Let me know what you think

quote:
Originally posted by cedricmackay:

Would any one be interested in haveing a geocache get together for the People in Omaha area? Just a thought could even set up some caches for that day or weekend.

Gordon's mentioned that. I think that would be an excellent idea. I'm at a loss for how to theme it, though. I'd definately want it to be kid-friendly. They so much love the "treasure" aspect of Geocaching.

If the weather's good, and I don't have a race to worry about, I'll bring some of my homing pigeons for a little show-and-tell. icon_smile.gif

Regards...

Scott

redd@interbug.com

http://interbug.com/pigeon

quote:

Gordon's mentioned that. I think that would be an excellent idea. I'm at a loss for how to theme it, though. I'd definately want it to be kid-friendly. They so much love the "treasure" aspect of Geocaching.

If the weather's good, and I don't have a race to worry about, I'll bring some of my homing pigeons for a little show-and-tell. icon_smile.gif

Regards...

Scott

redd@interbug.com

Guest cedricmackay

I agree. Should have something for the kids. I would love to hear about your birds that would be neat and I know my kids would love that. I went out to Chalco Hills today and I think that would be a great place to do something lots of room for some cache to be scatterd around to find. and some good picnic areas

quote:

I agree. Should have something for the kids. I would love to hear about your birds that would be neat and I know my kids would love that. I went out to Chalco Hills today and I think that would be a great place to do something lots of room for some cache to be scatterd around to find. and some good picnic areas

Yes, kids love seeing the birds. I hold them so the kids can touch their wings, feathers and feet. If a kid haa big enough hands, I can let them hold a bird.

For older kids, I like to let them write a message on a slip of paper. I them have them insert the slip into a leg capsule. Then we release the bird. I can then call or email the writer with the contents of the message when I get home.

I really like Chalco Hills. I don't know why, but it's always much cleaner than any city park. I think it's operated by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Chalco would be good for both real caches and virtual caches. For example, a v-cache might direct the player to the nature trail where there's a certain type of tree on display. The clue could be something like, "what's significant about Nxx.xxx Wxx.xxx?" The target would be the answer to the question.

I like the idea of multi caches, too. You'd get to one spot, only to get the goal's longitude. Another spot might have the latitude. Piecing those together would yield the goal's coordinates.

Or how about giving two sets of coordinates, and the goal lies at the average of the two.

Or perhaps two targets are given. Then the the goal lies at the intersection of two 45 degree angles from the previous two.

Now that we're brainstorming, the ideas are coming forward! icon_smile.gif

I'd love to hear some more. Gordon's speciality as a Boy Scouts counselor was the Orienteering merit badge. I am sure he has plenty of ideas.

Regards...

Scott

redd@interbug.com

quote:

Yes, kids love seeing the birds. I hold them so the kids can touch their wings, feathers and feet. If a kid haa big enough hands, I can let them hold a bird.

For older kids, I like to let them write a message on a slip of paper. I them have them insert the slip into a leg capsule. Then we release the bird. I can then call or email the writer with the contents of the message when I get home.

I really like Chalco Hills. I don't know why, but it's always much cleaner than any city park. I think it's operated by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Chalco would be good for both real caches and virtual caches. For example, a v-cache might direct the player to the nature trail where there's a certain type of tree on display. The clue could be something like, "what's significant about Nxx.xxx Wxx.xxx?" The target would be the answer to the question.

I like the idea of multi caches, too. You'd get to one spot, only to get the goal's longitude. Another spot might have the latitude. Piecing those together would yield the goal's coordinates.

Or how about giving two sets of coordinates, and the goal lies at the average of the two.

Or perhaps two targets are given. Then the the goal lies at the intersection of two 45 degree angles from the previous two.

Now that we're brainstorming, the ideas are coming forward! icon_smile.gif

I'd love to hear some more. Gordon's speciality as a Boy Scouts counselor was the Orienteering merit badge. I am sure he has plenty of ideas.

Regards...

Scott

redd@interbug.com