Pruning Time

Sadly, it is time to prune back my Waymarking activity again.

My five years in Korea actually allowed me a lot of discretionary time which I invested in Waymarking - both creating my own waymarks, creating categories, and reviewing thousands of waymarks. But, my retirement in the U.S. was short-lived. A month ago I began a new job, working with international exchange students and host families. This is a dream job in many ways, but as manager for the six-state New England region I am much busier than I thought, and am on the road quite a bit.

I suppose that the threats and vicious name-calling directed my way over the past months also dampens my enthusiasm.

I will be dropping out as officer in many categories, and am willing to pass leadership of some categories to others who may be interested in this volunteer aspect of Waymarking. So, let me know if you're interested. In some cases just adding a few more active officers will be sufficient. I need to do this to be fair to others. I apologize to you who have had long waits for waymark reviews in categories where I am an officer. Even though I've tried to provide coverage, sometimes it has just not been there.

Just maybe I'll squeeze in time to post a few of my pending waymarks. I think things will slow down a bit in the winter, but I could be mistaken.

I will be dropping out as officer in many categories, and am willing to pass leadership of some categories to others who may be interested in this volunteer aspect of Waymarking. So, let me know if you're interested.

I know, that there's very low activity in "River Origins, Destinations and Confluences" category, but in case you'll be looking for another "river rat" I would be proud of potential promotion :rolleyes:

This is one of my favourites.

All the best and lot of fun in new job!

It's always good to have a life outside of Waymarking. I will miss your insightful comments here; I learned a lot from you and always enjoyed it, even (or especially) in those rare cases where we had a different opinion.

Remember, it's also good to have a life outside of the job! So we hope to see you back here one fine day.

I have some spare resources to act as a locum tenens for you in some categories. What categories do need additional help?

Oh, I'm not going away, just cutting down on some of my management commitments, that's all. I want to be fair to those who post waymarks and not have long waiting periods for them.

Yes, Bruce, a traveling job can be good for Waymarking. I did not take my GPSr with me when I went to our managers meeting on Long Island, and regretted it! Really cool stuff around Port Jefferson. The ferry ride from New London, CT, was fun too. Since I'm regional manager for New England, most of my travel will be regional. But, there is an annual "Celebration of Success" trip every year to a foreign country, so there will be some new international locations. When I worked for International Student Exchange several years ago, I went to Quito, Ecuador. Pre-Waymarking days, unfortunately. Next month the qualifying people are going to Rome, but I came on board too late for that one.

Anyway, things should settle down, and there will be some slow months, so I'll get back into a good rhythm. This first month has been crazy.

I may post some specific categories where help is needed. I'm officer in some where there are only three, and I'd like to drop some of them, for instance.

Oh, I'm not going away, just cutting down on some of my management commitments, that's all. I want to be fair to those who post waymarks and not have long waiting periods for them.

Yes, Bruce, a traveling job can be good for Waymarking. I did not take my GPSr with me when I went to our managers meeting on Long Island, and regretted it! Really cool stuff around Port Jefferson. The ferry ride from New London, CT, was fun too. Since I'm regional manager for New England, most of my travel will be regional. But, there is an annual "Celebration of Success" trip every year to a foreign country, so there will be some new international locations. When I worked for International Student Exchange several years ago, I went to Quito, Ecuador. Pre-Waymarking days, unfortunately. Next month the qualifying people are going to Rome, but I came on board too late for that one.

Anyway, things should settle down, and there will be some slow months, so I'll get back into a good rhythm. This first month has been crazy.

I may post some specific categories where help is needed. I'm officer in some where there are only three, and I'd like to drop some of them, for instance.

I just wanted to add my words of gratitude for all that you do for our community. If there are any particular categories that you need additional officers please let me know and I will join so I can be promoted to help. A lot of the categories I serve in are smaller and allow me to help out elsewhere.

Sadly, it is time to prune back my Waymarking activity again.

BTW, do you think you could promote me or someone else from the regular members of the Homemade Tombstone Hunters group to be officers, since you're the only one doing anything in it? That will take a little pressure off of you. I think the other two officers forgot about Waymarking. <_<

And again, thanks for all of your contributions!