Church Micros

Hi we have started to try and collect Church Micros. I read somewhere that you can achieve awards if you collect a lot of them. Does anyone know anything about this? We are new to geocaching and are really hooked. :)

A google search for church micros shows it is unique to England, Scotland and Wales. I would suggest looking at those results and maybe posting in the forum for that part of the world.

and here I thought the US was church obsessed. We got nothing like this.

I don't think the UK is religiously obsessed.

On the other hand, we have a number of beautiful church buildings which date back to the 13th and 14th century. Indeed, most of the really old buildings here are churches.

In addition, the UK Geocaching community appear to be very keen on "series" or "collections" of things. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but we the Motorway Madness/Mayhem series have been very popular for a number of years for instance.

The Church Micro series has a numbering sequence which is managed by Sadexploration

To the OP: There used to be an annual challenge, but I'm not sure it's kept up to date.

and here I thought the US was church obsessed. We got nothing like this.

I don't think the UK is religiously obsessed.

On the other hand, we have a number of beautiful church buildings which date back to the 13th and 14th century. Indeed, most of the really old buildings here are churches.

In addition, the UK Geocaching community appear to be very keen on "series" or "collections" of things. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but we the Motorway Madness/Mayhem series have been very popular for a number of years for instance.

The Church Micro series has a numbering sequence which is managed by Sadexploration

To the OP: There used to be an annual challenge, but I'm not sure it's kept up to date.

A bit of an understatement. We visited two 12th century today.

I believe we have been church obsessed, in the past.

Just go and visit any village or hamlet and ye shall find a church.

I also believe we are now religiously obsessed.

The media are anyway. Us v Them seems to be today's major obsession.

And some cachers are souvenir obsessed.

Jeez!

I feel if it were a hamlet there would be no church!

I believe we have been church obsessed, in the past.

Just go and visit any village or hamlet and ye shall find a church.

I also believe we are now religiously obsessed.

The media are anyway. Us v Them seems to be today's major obsession.

And some cachers are souvenir obsessed.

Jeez!

I feel if it were a hamlet there would be no church!

I agree with Dodgy Dave. The OED says

noun

a small settlement, generally one smaller than a village, and strictly (in Britain) one without a church.

However, a lot of hamlets used to be villages and hence there is a church present. Population changes and all that. (I have one being published ...... well, anytime now as it happens)

What JoLuc is on about though is a mystery to me.

"Church obsessed" is a bit strong. There was no TV in those days woz there. What else woz there to do? Praise da lord.

Just to let you know, contrary to what some of the posts above have said, there ARE awards for finding church micros (not the same thing as souvenirs) which you can add to your profile, by pasting in some html code. More details of the required code and awards available can be found here:

http://www.15ddv.me.uk/geo/cm/awards.html

There is also a leaderboard here: http://www.15ddv.me.uk/geo/cm/cm.html