Update for the Etrex 20/30

sussamb
Followers 0

Update for the Etrex 20/30 available here http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5553

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eTrex 20/30 software version 3.30

as of September 27, 2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change History

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.30:

Added confirmation of initial language selection

Fixed issue with saving the 'lock on road' setting across a power cycle

You're lucky; It happens to me all the time now, ever since I upgraded from 2.80

I've done a master reset a couple of times and it doesn't help.

This morning I was out and grabbed a cache. Had the GPS on the Automotive profile while traveling to the area, switched to the Geocaching profile when I got to the parking spot.

Selected the cache and when the map displayed, it had the fields from the Automotive profile, not the Geocaching Dashboard.

I still have the problem with map settings sticking between multiple profiles.

I wonder if there might be something in 3.30 that resolves that.

My eTrex 20 has done this ever since I've had it for more than a year. It doesn't do it all the time--only occasionally. But it's annoying!

Strange, another update for the Etrex 20/30 with the same change history as 3.30, with 3.30 now withdrawn so may have been an issue with it. Available at:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5553

eTrex 20/30 (Webupdater) software version 3.40

as of October 21, 2013

Change History

Changes made from version 3.20 to 3.40:

Fixed issue with saving the 'lock on road' setting across a power cycle

Strange, another update for the Etrex 20/30 with the same change history as 3.30, with 3.30 now withdrawn so may have been an issue with it.

The issue with 3.30 was here:

In FW3.30 there were blank fields "Yes" (or) "No" if choosing the language (only once: after Master Reset).

Now, in FW3.40 Garmin has fixed this "crucial" problem and "Yes" (or) "No" fields appear.

Unfortunately, no other changes/fixes.

Wouldn't that be cool if one day Garmin tested their software before they released it?

Yes - that important detail would at least reinstate some of the respect I once had for their products!

But really, thinking of the bugs that have surfaced on the new eTrex series, I strongly suspect severe internal problems with their software development process.

Either the code is a spaghetti style hodge-podge with little noticeable structure to be found, or too much outsourcing/consulting has been introduced. The more cooks there are.....

I just don't understand why they don't make it OPEN SOURCE!

Because going that route makes for a high probability of creating a quick inrush of nearly perfect Chinese (?) pirate copies based on the same chipset and putting Garmin out of business.

Much of the code base is probably shared with their other products, so "letting go" of the code to one product partially releases the others as well.

The thing is, with some of these firmware updates, there may be revisions that the manufacturer doesn't tell the consumer about, such as revisions to the GPS processing code used by the chipset itself - in addition to those revisions that the consumer can actually see in the user interface. Not saying that's the case in this instance, but it does happen within the industry.

Even with v3.4, I still sometimes get the message “Route calculation error. Maps do not have routable roads in this area.” when using Where To.

Had this error since a few versions ago. A reboot does correct it but it sure is annoying. Seems to happen more frequently after switching profiles, sometimes will happen after power-up when it’s been off for awhile.

There is an old saying, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On my 450 and 62 I had more trouble after upgrading so I went back to an earlier trouble free version.

I tried that and it had no effect. I think something got "left behind" from a newer firmware version that has been causing issues ever since.

I've done several master resets, removed and recreated profiles...no change.

There is an old saying, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

On my 450 and 62 I had more trouble after upgrading so I went back to an earlier trouble free version.

I tried that and it had no effect. I think something got "left behind" from a newer firmware version that has been causing issues ever since.

I've done several master resets, removed and recreated profiles...no change.

...which really illustrates that there is no official master reset. A true master reset would flip every writable bit (or logical filesystem location) in the device to the state of a factory-fresh device with a certain firmware revision. Only some unofficial hacker method with leaked RGN files, which is possibly illegal...

Garmin isn't alone with having it this way; but I sure don't like it.

Anyone having any issues with 3.40?

I ask because the last couple of times I've been out geocaching, and I believe since updating to 3.40, I'm getting no logs when I look for them on my Etrex 20. If no one else is seeing that problem I'm probably overdue a master reset :mad:

Seems fixed, logs now transferring OK without a reset. Maybe an earlier download got corrupted someway.