Magellan GC Question

So I'm still a newb to my Explorist GC. I downloaded 1000 geocaches to the unit and have notifications set up for new caches within 100 miles of me. Up until recently, I've just been finding from my original 1000. As I find them I delete them from my GPS so they don't get in my way. The other day I added a new PQ to the GPS of just new caches.

Today I took a little trip and decided to do some caching while I was out. I came across several that were on the GPS but a cross check on the App, I discovered they must of been archived. I wasn't happy but continued.

So what's the best way to keep up to date? Obviously running a PQ will keep me up to date, but what about Vantage Point? Will I need to delete the old PQ then download the new one? Or if I keep the old will VP delete duplicates? Is there a way to replace PQ's from the GPS without losing my Lifelong count?

As a side question... Is there a website to get free maps for the GC? I found one that gave me free maps of Hawaii and a few National Parks but how about States or sections of the Country? Thanks All!!

...I discovered they must of been archived. I wasn't happy but continued.

So what's the best way to keep up to date? Obviously running a PQ will keep me up to date...

New data is good data, old data is bad data.

With Pocket Queries being cheap -- I mean you can run 5/day -- and they are available to be ran repeatedly on a weekly basis, it makes little sense to load a Pocket Query of as many as the unit will hold, then continue to work off of that data for extended periods of time.

Many set up a local (or multiple local) queries to run weekly. Nothing says that you need to load them to the unit if you have no plans to go geocaching in the immediate future... But, if you suddenly decide to run out and grab some, your weekly fresh data is always available.

Any data that is two or three weeks old should be considered stale. Caches are archived and new ones placed constantly (as you have discovered -- and I'll bet you missed the new listings that replaced the archived ones, to boot!).

I cannot advise anything about Vantage Point. We don't have a Magellan and don't use/need it.... well, you don't need it either. At least not for loading caches to your unit. Other uses perhaps, but not for loading files to the GPSr.

We used to use a "go between" program for loading (thinking it was necessary), but discovered that it is far simpler to just drag and drop the GPX files to the unit.

Run your PQ using the parameters you prefer, delete the old data, load the new data... it don't get any easier than that.

-----------

If you truly are deleting the found caches from your unit as you go, you may well be missing half of the "paperless" aspect of the unit.

Recording the "Found It" in your unit allows for entry of field notes. Those are up-loadable to geocaching.com, as logs or you can edit/expound on those notes to make a full log entry. THEN delete them from the unit.

Perhaps you already do such. If not, check out http://www.geocaching.com/my/fieldnotes.aspx , on your profile page selecting the Magellan tab.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I usually use my smartphone and the app to log my "Found It" or my stupid DNF. I tried to use the GPS to type out some field notes but that tiny joystick makes it impossible. I figure I'll use that if I have no signal or my battery is completely dead.

I use Vantage Point to assist in planning out a good day of caching. I can get pretty accurate mileage and also use it for tracking.

But your definitely right about old data being bad data! I came across 3 GC's that were archived and 2 others that were down for maintenance. Thanks for the advice. It's greatly appreciated.

In the GC, when you download cache, and download it again, it will only show up once, but with newer information-such as new logs, or disabled. This does not do anything about a cache that may have been archived, since it won't show up in a PQ, and you can't download them.(I don't think you can anyway)

This only works for the geocaches-if you have it as a waypoint, you can have several of the same one downloaded.

That is why I don't download them until the the day before I go caching, or the day before. I also have notification for my normal caching area, so I'll know when a cache gets archived. I also, when on a trip-will download all the caches in the area and use the app to make sure they are still good, and look for any additional hints in the new logs if I need to.

As far as U.S. maps for Magellan, I have not found anything free. However, maps4me.net offers 5 days of unrestricted downloads for about $7, and you can use PayPal. These maps are street/topographical, and they are outstanding! I highly recommend spending the few bucks to download them all. Although the new base map on the explorist is great, the added topo features of the maps4me maps are very useful. No, I'm not an advertiser, just a very satisfied customer.

Thanks for all the useful information guys! I looked into the Maps4me website. Seems like a good deal, I'll definitely have to take advantage of it. I think I'll have to change my notifications too. I set it up when I first became a Premium Member, I was so excited to get new cache notifications I didn't look at what else was available. Lol. Good to know that if I were to load a PQ over what I already had on the GC it would just overwrite it and not give me duplicates. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.