trackables

Shinook & White Juan

Spent some time in Alberta and BC and noticed that many caches that we have found have listed a trackable or two but the actual cache has no trackables. It's too bad that not all cachers are aware of the proper procedure when logging them. Hopefully, they are not part of someones collection. Not that trackables are what we are looking for in a cache. I know that this is a topic that has been talked about over and over again, i just wanted to vent.

Spent some time in Alberta and BC and noticed that many caches that we have found have listed a trackable or two but the actual cache has no trackables. It's too bad that not all cachers are aware of the proper procedure when logging them. Hopefully, they are not part of someones collection. Not that trackables are what we are looking for in a cache. I know that this is a topic that has been talked about over and over again, i just wanted to vent.

Ranting a bit is good therapy, for you... others may or may not benefit.

Best is to make sure you know what trackables are about and share the word with people you meet, and more importantly any you introduce to the game.

Also make sure when you find a cache that you post your observations on your find... there or not there.

When one is not at the cache and it is unclear if it was just picked up, then a note on the TB page can mention that for the benefit of the owner. It's important to be accurate though. So, that and reporting on the cache page is about it. Spreading the word is also good for the sport.

Thanks for caring.

Doug 7rxc

What bothers me is that if a trackable is listed as being in that cache and it's not. My partner, Chef, loves trackables, and he loves going after them, but it gets him so upset when he finds a cache listed as having one and it actually not there when we arrive. They have often been missing for months. Someone is hanging onto it and hasn't even logged it as out of that cache. I accept that it's just one of those things.

That's one good reason to do a bit of research before going. If the TB has been dropped into the cache recently, chances are good it's still there. If it has been 6 months or more (or maybe even newer), chances are it is not there. Checking the TB page and the more recent logs for mentions of them (whether they're still there, or that there aren't TB's in the cache) saves one a lot of disappointment!

I've got a missing TB logged in my cache. I swung by about 3 weeks after it was placed, to find it gone. I PM'd the most recent finders, but didn't get any lead on the thing. (One person didn't answer, which leads me to suspect it was them.) My conundrum now is in deciding when to mark it missing. What if it pops up again? What if whoever took it considers it theirs when it's marked missing? Argh! It'll be 3 months since placement on Oct 18.

I did contact the TB owner when I learned it was missing. I think it's good to communicate with TB owners as much as possible.

That's one good reason to do a bit of research before going. If the TB has been dropped into the cache recently, chances are good it's still there. If it has been 6 months or more (or maybe even newer), chances are it is not there. Checking the TB page and the more recent logs for mentions of them (whether they're still there, or that there aren't TB's in the cache) saves one a lot of disappointment!

I've got a missing TB logged in my cache. I swung by about 3 weeks after it was placed, to find it gone. I PM'd the most recent finders, but didn't get any lead on the thing. (One person didn't answer, which leads me to suspect it was them.) My conundrum now is in deciding when to mark it missing. What if it pops up again? What if whoever took it considers it theirs when it's marked missing? Argh! It'll be 3 months since placement on Oct 18.

I did contact the TB owner when I learned it was missing. I think it's good to communicate with TB owners as much as possible.

It boils down to what I said up above... The best you can do is report on what is in the cache and not in the cache... do that in your cache log and on the TB page. Nothing is lost if you mark it missing from your cache, but do allow some time for it to show up, since it's impossible to tell if it was picked up just before you checked it. Always good to do the check in person, since a new cacher might have not 'seen it' as a TB etc.

I wouldn't want to do such a marking on the basis of a report, but would check the cache to confirm when it is reasonable. A TB marked as 'unknown location' only has to be logged properly if it turns up and it is back in play. There is lots about that process in the Travel Bug forum. Either the TB owner or a cache owner can mark it as 'unknown location'. Many CO's don't want to take that chore on, but often will during cache maintenance trips, others figure it's up to the TO do do alone. That is why I say report the status in your logs on both sites and then proceed with caching (for the non owner).

Recently I was handed a bag of TB's and one GCoin, that were 'stuck' in posession of a new cacher. Fortunately, they were dropped off at the office of a local cache site owner. All have been set to rights, and just need to get back in caches to play again. Logs updated, previous holders notified, I don't even know who had them, but they are 'recovered'. Just did what I said above and it's done. New logs, photos and some visits. Just have to find somewhere good to put them now. Dang the penchant for hiding micros around here... and the bigger ones I'm getting to won't be nice places to leave in the approaching winter season, already had light snow but it comes and goes.

edit: lost the word set, just added it.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

That's one good reason to do a bit of research before going.

Actually, it's one good reason for NOT doing any research beforehand. Hunting trackables is an agonizing game. Let finding a trackable be a surprise, otherwise 85% of the time you will be disappointed.

Having said that - I've got two I need to get moving if only I can find a decent cache to put them in!