Garmen Dakota 10

Hi,

I have been using a Garmen Etrex H to geocache for a few years, but the button seem to be giving up on it(all the manual enteries as I don't have a lead to connect it to the pc), so I think I will need to upgrade soon, and thought going paperless would be good idea,

anyone got any opinions on the Garmen Dakota 10

is it a better option than the etrex 10

Edited by splashandfluke

I have owned the Dakota 10 and 20, and the etrex 10, 20, and 30. Right now, I use an etrex 20 and 30. Any etrex or dakota you buy will be better than the old legend, simply because it has paperless geocaching, and a standard USB cord connects them to your PC. Personally, I like the etrex's toggle switch versus the dakota touchscreen because the etrex screen is brighter, and I always got the dakota screen smudged up with my dirty fingers. Now if you can afford $50 more to get a dakota 20 or etrex 20, go for it. The micro SD memory card capability in both of them really open up possibilities for you. For example, you can add lots of geocaches, and upload detailed maps onto the card. If you are patient and look around for a used model on ebay, I think you can get a Dakota 20 or etrex 20 for about $150. You really won't be disappointed with either GPSr. Their batteries last a long time, they are very accurate, and they're small and easy to carry. Hope this helps.

SD card storage will allow you to load more maps. It will not increase the geocaching gpx storage. Any unit on the market will be a huge improvement on the Etrex H software wise. Reception wise, pretty much equal. I would get a Oregon 450 over a Dakota 20, in fact it's cheaper right now on A****n. Etrex 20 for most people (not me) is also a solid geocaching unit, however with my Etrex 20, the odometer and moving mph were so off, I returned it and got an Etrex 10 which solved that problem for me.

I have owned the Dakota 10 and 20, and the etrex 10, 20, and 30. Right now, I use an etrex 20 and 30. Any etrex or dakota you buy will be better than the old legend, simply because it has paperless geocaching, and a standard USB cord connects them to your PC. Personally, I like the etrex's toggle switch versus the dakota touchscreen because the etrex screen is brighter, and I always got the dakota screen smudged up with my dirty fingers. Now if you can afford $50 more to get a dakota 20 or etrex 20, go for it. The micro SD memory card capability in both of them really open up possibilities for you. For example, you can add lots of geocaches, and upload detailed maps onto the card. If you are patient and look around for a used model on ebay, I think you can get a Dakota 20 or etrex 20 for about $150. You really won't be disappointed with either GPSr. Their batteries last a long time, they are very accurate, and they're small and easy to carry. Hope this helps.

Thank you very helpful

SD card storage will allow you to load more maps. It will not increase the geocaching gpx storage. Any unit on the market will be a huge improvement on the Etrex H software wise. Reception wise, pretty much equal. I would get a Oregon 450 over a Dakota 20, in fact it's cheaper right now on A****n. Etrex 20 for most people (not me) is also a solid geocaching unit, however with my Etrex 20, the odometer and moving mph were so off, I returned it and got an Etrex 10 which solved that problem for me.

Thank you very helpful