The Lack of logging trackables

Mustards

We have visited 5 caches in the last couple of days which should all have trackables in, but all have been found empty. Why do people not log their finds? We where hoping to find about 6 trackables and take from Norfolk to our trackable exchange in Cornwall, we are very, very disappointed.

Not saying it's the case here but people may be away on holiday, business etc and not logging until they get back home. In this day and age of smartphone caching there is beginning to be an expectation of instant logging (usually with just "TFTC - logged from applong iS4 phone"), but not everyone caches that way. And as for trackables these often seemed to get grabbed by instant cachers before they can be properly logged.

As the years go by trackable inventories on cache pages get more and more inaccurate. Sadly some cachers just don't care/don't know how to log them correctly. All you can do is a bit of homework by looking at the details of the trackables listed to see how long ago they were dropped into the cache and how many times the cache has been visited since the drop off. Doing so will give you a fair idea of whether the item is still likely to be in the cache.

If it disappoints you to see so many "ghosts" listed you might enjoy this topic...

Suggestion for a system to remove "ghost" trackables from cache inventories.

MrsB

We (apologies if this is repeated on that thread) use two methods. If doing a power trail type affair we will sometimes collect a few TB's beforehand. And we will disperse them round the series. Usually now it's further away from home. So at least they get a few miles this way. Because as has been experienced they get snatched by the smartphone gang we will sometimes log a note on the cache we dropped it in

"TB drop, log to follow" and then we will edit this to a find when we log that cache. The drop off will remain as is though and will not be affected by the edit. However this can be long winded and if anyone else is experience the super fast information highway that is EE's iPhone specific connection ... In other words carrier pigeons traverse the globe faster than a page will load up ... You'll find that a bind.

What we now do is as we log the find (garmin 450) you get the option to add comment. In this section we write the TB logging number. We used to take a photo of the TB number. But this also got long winded. Anyway this enables you to grab the TB back. Take it on its correct journey again and then place it in the cache, it is supposed to be in. Recently an iPhone wiz grabbed a. TB off us 5 caches after we dropped it off. With the comment "I guess they have not had a chance to log this yet as they are out here today, oh well on we go to somewhere else". So we grabbed it back the next day as we logged the cache. And dropped it into the cache again. The thing is the other person had visited a few caches with it. Then had to retrieve it back from the cache again. It's was a bit messy to be honest. But usually this way works just fine.

Thanks for the replies guys, it will come a time when people will not send trackables out any more, which would be a shame. Micro are ok and they do make caching a little more tasking, but please remember the kids do like to find a box with toys and trackables in, my granddaughter loves it. Two days left of our holiday so out caching we will go.

Thanks for the replies guys, it will come a time when people will not send trackables out any more, which would be a shame. Micro are ok and they do make caching a little more tasking, but please remember the kids do like to find a box with toys and trackables in, my granddaughter loves it. Two days left of our holiday so out caching we will go.

Of course they do! The problem is those newbies with the free geocaching app also like them and they keep them. I think the next day they probably see the travel bug as not much more than junk but don't care to put it back into the game. I am not sure how they view geocoins. If you really enjoy them, you would collect them. I guess that they keep the geocoin around, sort of feel like they found hidden treasure and don't have enough ill feelings to put them back in the game.

Groundspeak's chase for mobile dollars has severely affected the travelbug game. The money they've lost on travelbugs must be less than what they make on mobile.

Of course, they are raking in money for every tracking code that gets attached to geocoins. Most of those coins never get activated since it lessens the value and hence the tracking code is worthless but without the tracking coin, the coin also has less value. Kind of a strange situation.

I think it would help if cache sense on the blackberry let you log trackables, I for one haven't worked how to do this, and so couldn't log trackables while on holiday

It's very easy to log Trackables from a blackberry running cachesense all you need do is select the cache and then select field notes and then select log Trackables. There is a field to enter the code, press check which brings up the Trackables information. It can then be logged as retrieved or dropped, visited etc whilst in the field immediately. So any trackable logged through the application shows up on the cache description without any delay. Simple.

We picked a beauty today. A micro geocoin. Hmmm except we dropped it off last year in a cache called extra strong mints. It was picked up and moved 4 miles. Then some other person picked it up shortly afterwards and moved it ..... 4 miles. They must be a snail. Hence they took the micro geocoin. Because it took them from the 27th June 2012 until 28th August .... 2013 to actually move it those four miles. Christ if wind eroded the earth around the coin placed on the ground it would roll faster than that. Over a year. Still it's moving again now.

Sorry but you can not just blame missing trackables on the Phone App Generation. I had two trackables, one launched 2004, the other 2005. Both disappeared in 2008. One went to a Event and the other put in a cache.

The issue has been going on for as long as I can remember, and I've been caching since 2002. I can even point out, about the Jeep TB's (as Sponsored by Jeep), which people grabbed and they disappeared. It used to depress me personally, I'd organise a event. I would be last to leave, and would physically check the area, to insure that No Trackables were left behind, yet at most events, a Trackable or two would disappear. At one point, Event Owners required people to log Trackables in a book, and the person tacking them to log them out by indicating so in the book. And this pre-dated Smart Phones. The well equipped cacher, had a PDA, sometimes with a GPSr Jacket.

Deci

The iPhone version is long winded for dealing with TB's. You cannot group drop or visit. You have to do each on its own. Then add another TB. It takes ages. But as Deceangi says it is not a reason for them to go missing or be any issue at all. If you have the app, whatever platform it's on, you have a smart phone. And if you have a smart phone you have the internet in its entirety. You can even bypass the clunky mobile versions of sites by scrolling to the bottom and choosing "view classic site" or "view full version of site".

Another bug bare is when people say they did not "get around to logging them". Wtf are you on about. If you had time to log the cache you had enough time to log any TB's.

The folks looked at the mega up north from earlier this year. Apparently (though I've not looked myself) it's still chocker with TB's still logged into it. Still. Bet everyone's logged it as found though.

Seen two events recently where the co has asked that no TB's be logged into it anymore. Because they don't want the hassle. And this could all be solved by introducing an enforced questionnaire via the registration process. At least you can force people to be aware of the rules instead of making them available to view. Several posts on here in the last few days prove how well that's working. Can I place tb's in any cache etc.

And of course there is the issue with the app that allows people to join and have access to everything. And yet never prove who they are. We have a TB in the hands of someone and although they are registered their visit to geocaching.com record shows the last time they visited ... "Never". So no one can contact them ever apparently. Until they log in. If ever they do. Meanwhile they can be gobbling up tbs here there and everywhere.

Sorry but you can not just blame missing trackables on the Phone App Generation. I had two trackables, one launched 2004, the other 2005. Both disappeared in 2008. One went to a Event and the other put in a cache.

The issue has been going on for as long as I can remember, and I've been caching since 2002. I can even point out, about the Jeep TB's (as Sponsored by Jeep), which people grabbed and they disappeared. It used to depress me personally, I'd organise a event. I would be last to leave, and would physically check the area, to insure that No Trackables were left behind, yet at most events, a Trackable or two would disappear. At one point, Event Owners required people to log Trackables in a book, and the person tacking them to log them out by indicating so in the book. And this pre-dated Smart Phones. The well equipped cacher, had a PDA, sometimes with a GPSr Jacket.

Deci

Of course, trackables have been going missing since the first day they were released.

My own experience is that my trackables most often go missing in the hands of new cachers. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on a dedicated GPS unit now to play the game. The low barrier of entry to geocaching is increasing the numbers of new cachers.

Wonders never cease. Our travel dragon since day one was dropped off in tintgel. It was picked up and kept. Asked to be moved on "pffff far too busy at work to do that I'll get round to it at some point". Eventually put in a cache. Never to be seen again except by another person later in a different cache than it was apparently placed in. Went missing again. Turned up. Went to Wales. And then Cyprus. And was placed in a cache there.... A year later ... Oh no it wasn't it was down the back of a dresser ... In Wales. Placed out a few days later ... Never to be seen again .... today .... So and so discover it in a cache by the sea "will move on". Sigh. It's still in some other cache that it apparently isn't. The discoverers have 7 finds. Hopefully will reply to email to send back. They have "never" logged into geocaching but at least these can be contacted unlike the previous visitors to the cache it's supposed to be in who have "never" logged into geocaching and cannot be contacted. Things are looking up. These discoverers even took a photo of them holding it. Hope springs eternal and all that ....

We (apologies if this is repeated on that thread) use two methods. If doing a power trail type affair we will sometimes collect a few TB's beforehand. And we will disperse them round the series. Usually now it's further away from home. So at least they get a few miles this way. Because as has been experienced they get snatched by the smartphone gang we will sometimes log a note on the cache we dropped it in

"TB drop, log to follow" and then we will edit this to a find when we log that cache. The drop off will remain as is though and will not be affected by the edit. However this can be long winded and if anyone else is experience the super fast information highway that is EE's iPhone specific connection ... In other words carrier pigeons traverse the globe faster than a page will load up ... You'll find that a bind.

What we now do is as we log the find (garmin 450) you get the option to add comment. In this section we write the TB logging number. We used to take a photo of the TB number. But this also got long winded. Anyway this enables you to grab the TB back. Take it on its correct journey again and then place it in the cache, it is supposed to be in. Recently an iPhone wiz grabbed a. TB off us 5 caches after we dropped it off. With the comment "I guess they have not had a chance to log this yet as they are out here today, oh well on we go to somewhere else". So we grabbed it back the next day as we logged the cache. And dropped it into the cache again. The thing is the other person had visited a few caches with it. Then had to retrieve it back from the cache again. It's was a bit messy to be honest. But usually this way works just fine.

I am probably being dense - as only a newbie can be - I have just posted a new thread about how long should I wait before grabbing a trackable. Dense refers to I am not sure I understand what I should do from your post - so .. situation is...I have picked up 2 trackables - they are listed as "in the hands of XXXX" and not in teh cache I picked them from, I am about to set off on a nice long journey and wanted these trackables to visit a few caches along the way, then place them 500 miles South, in a few days. What would you advise I should do to give the trackable owners the best experience?

I am probably being dense - as only a newbie can be - I have just posted a new thread about how long should I wait before grabbing a trackable. Dense refers to I am not sure I understand what I should do from your post - so .. situation is...I have picked up 2 trackables - they are listed as "in the hands of XXXX" and not in teh cache I picked them from, I am about to set off on a nice long journey and wanted these trackables to visit a few caches along the way, then place them 500 miles South, in a few days. What would you advise I should do to give the trackable owners the best experience?

Generally I would give at least two weeks to give a chance for the person who dropped it off to get back from holidays and possibly send a message.

Also if you are in a position to help it with its mission or take it somewhere interesting I might contact the owner and see if they would like you to just grab it and move it.

What I wouldn't do is just grab it the moment I pick it out of the cache despite it only being dropped in the cache earlier that day.

However it is you who has it and play the game as you feel it suits you.

Edited by Mad H@ter