Fake travel bug logs

gwendy

9 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

Maybe someone can point me to any official word that TBs and coins may only be logged or discovered once you had them in hands.

No need for a guideline as its pretty obvious that one can discover only things that are discoverable (i.e.: in his field of vision). ?

Hans

11 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

I've been looking around to find some guidelines about TBs or Coins and couldn't find anything.  Maybe someone can point me to any official word that TBs and coins may only be logged or discovered once you had them in hands.

How about common sense? How do you discover something you haven't seen? You can discover a trackingnumber on a piece of paper or on a picture but how do you discover something you haven't seen? Do you think you can say you visited a country because you saw it on TV? Do you need a guideline to know the difference between seeing a number and seeing the actual trackable?

• Upvote 2

Sure, I understand your point.

If I have a photograph with a couple of people on it, one of them is Paul, may I say I have discovered Paul or do I have to meet him in person?

Many cacher don't put their Coin in a cache but a picture of it.  May I discover this "coin", even it's just a picture of it?

47 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

If I have a photograph with a couple of people on it, one of them is Paul, may I say I have discovered Paul or do I have to meet him in person?

You couldn't say that you'd met Paul unless you personally shook his hand.

48 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

Many cacher don't put their Coin in a cache but a picture of it.

I didn't know that this was common practice on the GC.com website.

As far as looking for the exact wording, may I suggest you consider the difference between "the letter of the law" vs. "the spirit of the law"?

3 minutes ago, VAVAPAM said:

As far as looking for the exact wording, may I suggest you consider the difference between "the letter of the law" vs. "the spirit of the law"?

Maybe it's time for a new logtype for trackables.

• Retrieved
  • Dropped
  • Discovered
  • Grabbed
  • Saw trackingcode somewhere
  • Entered a random string of characters and was directed to this trackable's page

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 4
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

I've been looking around to find some guidelines about TBs or Coins and couldn't find anything. 

Maybe someone can point me to any official word that TBs and coins may only be logged or discovered once you had them in hands.

There isn't any, and the Help Center incorrectly placed "virtual" logs under 3.4 Bogus Trackable Logs too.

(To me) it clearly says they're leaving it as an allowed, but grey area: 

To post “Discover” logs without physically interacting with the trackable is discouraged by Geocaching.com.

However, some trackable owners enjoy a large number of logs, even if they are virtual logs.

3 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

However, some trackable owners enjoy a large number of logs, even if they are virtual logs.

On FB recently there has been a spate of TOs posting photos of their own trackables (e.g. decals in car windows) bemoaning the fact that they rarely get spotted, and encouraging people to discover away!

Don’t really get it, but it doesn’t bother me, except that it seems to give some legitimacy to virtual logging of trackables in general, even when this is against a TOs wishes (lists of codes at events, say).

Just now, IceColdUK said:

On FB recently there has been a spate of TOs posting photos of their own trackables (e.g. decals in car windows) bemoaning the fact that they rarely get spotted, and encouraging people to discover away!

Don’t really get it, but it doesn’t bother me, except that it seems to give some legitimacy to virtual logging of trackables in general, even when this is against a TOs wishes (lists of codes at events, say).

Exactly. It's the same as CO's allowing cachers to log Found It when containers have disappeared. people then think it's OK to claim a find for just being there.

4 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

There's one just recently in the forums that not only has the code scattered among the trackable's page, but a large photo of it is in their post.

Go figure...

When I spot a trackable code online somewhere, I discover it and leave a note where I saw it.  If on a list, where and who gave it to me too.

I don't care about "stats", so if the TO deletes my log, I'm good with that.  It doesn't tell me if they actually read my note though...    :)

Yesterday I had four old missing travel bugs 'discovered". I got excited. Had my long lost bugs been found? No such luck. I inquired and received the same response as MichMac. I suspect someone is mining numbers. No one else at that event has logged my bugs. What good will it do to delete the cheats logs when they have logged hundreds?

29 minutes ago, The Lost Patrol said:

Yesterday I had four old missing travel bugs 'discovered". I got excited. Had my long lost bugs been found? No such luck. I inquired and received the same response as MichMac. I suspect someone is mining numbers. No one else at that event has logged my bugs. What good will it do to delete the cheats logs when they have logged hundreds?

Try Thousands.     ;)

You make three who said something about it here (in two other threads).  Same person "Discovering" long-gone trackables.  

Now everyone who reads this knows who they are (if they care to look). 

That person starts to see their numbers go down, maybe they'd realize the jig is up...      :)

Edited by cerberus1

My travelbugs have been discovered 11,584 times as I write this. I can see that because all discover logs go into one filter in my e-mail and this is the number of mails. This is why I don't care as a TB-owner. I have accepted that discover logs have become meaningless in the game. (Just like these took it to logs).

On 8/2/2019 at 8:20 AM, Mausebiber said:

Sure, I understand your point.

Many cacher don't put their Coin in a cache but a picture of it.  May I discover this "coin", even it's just a picture of it?

I can understand the trackable owner doing this. They may be concerned about it being stolen, or they're "sending it out again" after it had been stolen. But someone else making a list of your trackable's number and sharing it with someone else when you don't have it or the picture copy with you is definitely not in the spirit of the activity. Neither is just trying out numbers on the website until you find ones that work, which must be the case for the person who logged mine and The Lost Patrol's trackables. It was the same person for each of us and no one else has entered a log of "discovery" for them.

Their stats currently show 18547 trackables, but it was a bit higher until I hit refresh.  It will drop by another 5 once I delete their logs of mine.

Diggin' Up Bones:

https://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?tx=9329bc43-04e7-4121-9a25-2b2e4e14b0fc&uid=a98215af-dfff-4725-a328-3137e7a132d6

I noticed one of my trackables that hasn't been logged in 4 years was found! WOOT WOOT... I emailed the owner to find out where they found it. Then I looked at my other lost trackables including one that is sitting right in front of me on my keychain and it has been "discovered" by "Diggin' Up Bones" as well.  I checked out her profile and dang, she already has about two dozen logged today!

I'm going to delete the logs as I know they are fictitious.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
On 9/7/2019 at 5:22 PM, DragonsWest said:

Hudyny logged a range of improbable bug discoveries 9/7/2019

On the same day you mention, 9/7/2019, we had four of our travel bugs "discovered" by Hudyny. He also "discovered" one of our daughter's bugs that we have a watch on. Every one of these bugs were released WAY back in the early days of geocacaching, before the Discover feature was even possible. These five bugs also went missing quickly, after only one placement or only a few placements and have since been listed as missing. There is no way the numbers could have been shared by the bug thieves. It would be a major coincidence for five bugs that were released in far different areas to be on a list of trackables. There is also no evidence of any photos showing their tracking numbers. The only way I see possible for these tracking numbers to have been found is for someone to run a program that systematically enters numbers into the system and generates hits of actual trackable numbers. It's not a big deal to me since I deleted every one of Hudyny's discoveries of my bugs, but I am amazed that people go out of their way to artificially pump up their numbers. And I am curious if my deduction of the way these nutcases are acquiring these trackable codes is correct. What do others think? 

• Upvote 1
43 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

And I am curious if my deduction of the way these nutcases are acquiring these trackable codes is correct. What do others think? 

I think it's well known that a few access a numbers generator for trackable codes.

There are now numerous sites for that stuff.  One even says they will, " randomize a sequence of your choice".

Edited by cerberus1
spllelling
48 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

On the same day you mention, 9/7/2019, we had four of our travel bugs "discovered" by Hudyny. He also "discovered" one of our daughter's bugs that we have a watch on. Every one of these bugs were released WAY back in the early days of geocacaching, before the Discover feature was even possible. These five bugs also went missing quickly, after only one placement or only a few placements and have since been listed as missing. There is no way the numbers could have been shared by the bug thieves. It would be a major coincidence for five bugs that were released in far different areas to be on a list of trackables. There is also no evidence of any photos showing their tracking numbers. The only way I see possible for these tracking numbers to have been found is for someone to run a program that systematically enters numbers into the system and generates hits of actual trackable numbers. It's not a big deal to me since I deleted every one of Hudyny's discoveries of my bugs, but I am amazed that people go out of their way to artificially pump up their numbers. And I am curious if my deduction of the way these nutcases are acquiring these trackable codes is correct. What do others think? 

Dear geocachers,  If you would like to contact me, I would like to explain the situation to you as well as to all the users who wrote me. 7.9 I started to get news about explaining why I logged trackable items that had long been marked as lost. I started searching for what happened and found that someone probably hacked my account and logged more than 2k trackable codes. I announced everything on the Groundspeak myself and asked them to delete these logs. It is in progress. Thank you for your patience and I apologize for these logs.

Edited by Hudyny
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

The person who was logging mine said it was a "Glitch" that Geocaching knows about but I could delete the logs. I was like "You entered them, you delete them"... I ended up deleting them and looking at the account again, they are STILL logging dozens a day. I guess if that's the way some people want to play the game.... zzz