Fake travel bug logs

gwendy

Yes, the most reason to buy a TravelBug is to let it travel.

GeoCoins, I suppose, are as often collected as the are sent

out to a mission. But there are unlimited things possible:

Have a look at this one: TB69BHG

I bought it only for the one reason to have it discovered by

the ones who visit my EarthCache. Most of the GeoCachers have

no problem to have a discovery only by a photo and the code.

A small minority does not make the discovery, unless I gave

the strict permission. And some even give a favourite-point

because of that. Who is wrong and who is right?

Have they made a "fake"-discovery?

There is a link to the GeoCoin in the EarthCache-description.

And the current goal for the GeoCoin says:

"Log me when finding: EarthCache Dächelsberg GC59NCZ"

And what about the hundreds of GeoCaching-stampmarks?

Strictly one only could make a discovery when having the

stamp itself in ones hands. Seeing a stampmark from the

stamp is NOT a real discovery! Although often it says

"Discover Me" on the stampmark. What to do here?

I suppose the limits are not clear at all but depend only

on the owner of a certain TravelBug or GeoCoin.

I let some discover by everyone who wants to: INBVHZ

Some are reserved to a certain challenge: TB6YYRJ

And some are strictly secret: TB7G9M2

Kind regards, Gubemax.

Edited by Gubemax

"I let some discover by everyone who wants to: INBVHZ"

First so called "fake"-discovery only 10 minutes after

I posted the code. No problem, my GeoCoin can cope with

a thousand discoveries every day.

You displayed the tracking numbers here, I thought you were virtually sharing it?

Nice icon, thanks for sharing your trackable.

Edited by Manville Possum

I consider people publishing a photo of their TravelBug, showing

the tracking-number, in the official TravelBug-gallery, want it

to be discovered. No one would publish the tracking-number, if

it had to stay secret!!! Or am I wrong?

I don't know the answer to this. In the early years the posting of the "SECRET" tracking number was always done in error by newbie trackable owners or newbie finders.

I don't think it is safe to assume that a posted tracking number means the owner wants false discover logs posted.

Being attentive one can easily make 400 such discoveries a month.

What is it on that side of the Atlantic that causes such a large number of people to want to log fake finds on trackables? The virtual logging of virtual caches around the world was also a hot European fad.

Call it couch-geocaching, but I'm outside all day long, six days

a week, doing some other kind of "GeoCaching", preparing streets

and railways, houses to be built.

You would LOVE surveying in the United States. We have loggable benchmarks! :D

Yes, I guess Europeans are a bit different.

And concerning this statement:

"You would LOVE surveying in the United States. We have loggable benchmarks!"

I must say, that I looking forward to the day we get them, too.

In the meantime I have to create them myself, as "Krausbergturm" (GC5432Z).

The reference-point was determined with mm-precision using a Trimble R6

giving the coordinates 32U 361912,733 5599161,101.

But concerning the fake TravelBug-logs I think, that the difference is

how to understand the word "discovery". For Europeans it seems to mean

"unveiled" but not necessarily "seen". As for Americans they obviously

must see with their own eyes to discover.

It gets a little crowded in the spaceship to "discover" the dark side of

the moon for Americans. Europeans simply can have a look at pictures taken

from it by others.

Regards, Gubemax.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I guess Europeans are a bit different.

I guess not. However, Germans are :ph34r: (don't generalize, use "some", "many"...)

I only log TBs when I encounter them "in the wild" not virtual. Two exceptions: the Badgen TB that where the code was listed on their site when downloading the GSAK macro and a "Rondje Vlaanderen" TB code that was shown at random when using their site. Another time I logged "discovered" TBs from a paper list I photographed at an event.... but the owner had made that list so the bag of coins and TBs didn't have to be emptied by everyone who wanted to log them. So they were all seen but not individually written down.

All this spamming has nothing to do with the reason that disovering travel bugs has been implemented.

This is the second time you mention spamming. Please elaborate. What do you consider spamming?

On my TB's that I have travelling around I have received more than 6600 discoverlogs. This means more than 6600 e-mail notifications with logs that I'm not interested in.

On my TB's that I have travelling around I have received more than 6600 discoverlogs. This means more than 6600 e-mail notifications with logs that I'm not interested in.

That still doesn't make it spam.

Spam is "irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients." That's a pretty decent description of a buh-zillion emails that all say "I saw this number somewhere" (not the actual item, and for the purpose of receiving points, to boot), so let's roll with that word. I didn't even realize how apropos the word is, until I went to look it up.

Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam. Spammity spaaaam! Wonderful spam!

Edited by kunarion

That still doesn't make it spam.

Spam is "irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients." That's a pretty decent description of a buh-zillion emails that all say "I saw this number somewhere" (not the actual item, and for the purpose of receiving points, to boot), so let's roll with that word. I didn't even realize how apropos the word is, until I went to look it up.

Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam. Spammity spaaaam! Wonderful spam!

So it fits the definition <_<

So it fits the definition <_<

Yes, and I hear that someone got 6600 emails while we decided what to call it :anicute:.

There's a way cool game where people are challenged to see numbers (a sticker on a utility box or whatever), and get points for seeing the numbers. Let's not be that game. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

You see, it's not spam. :ph34r:

Large number of recipients? Nope, only TB owners after their TB is discovered, retrieved or dropped.

Irrelevant? Nope, it's a designed method of notification. It's not even the person logging the TB that has any control over the notifications, it's GS and the TB owner.

I don't think it is safe to assume that a posted tracking number means the owner wants false discover logs posted.

Furthermore, although, of course, I can't dictate what others do with their tracking numbers, I'm not convinced it's any more reasonable for a TB owner to encourage armchair logs than it is for people to log TBs from their armchairs. That's not much different than a geocache owner encouraging people to armchair log their caches, is it? At any rate, the reasons I don't armchair log TBs continue to convince me not to log even if the TB owner says it's OK.

Furthermore, although, of course, I can't dictate what others do with their tracking numbers, I'm not convinced it's any more reasonable for a TB owner to encourage armchair logs than it is for people to log TBs from their armchairs. That's not much different than a geocache owner encouraging people to armchair log their caches, is it? At any rate, the reasons I don't armchair log TBs continue to convince me not to log even if the TB owner says it's OK.

+1

When I see an online posted tracking number, my reaction is to notify the Owner, not log a Discovery. In many cases, it was the Owner who posted the image, and is astonished to learn that anyone would "Discover" a number without physically finding the TB. Let alone that half of Europe would. :yikes:

When I see an online posted tracking number, my reaction is to notify the Owner, not log a Discovery.

Yep. Helping new or unaware owners and finders learn not to post the tracking number is peer-to-peer training. Logging virtual (fake, false) discoveries is always done from the shadows - the posters know there is a bit of dark-sidedness involved.

When I see an online posted tracking number, my reaction is to notify the Owner, not log a Discovery.

Yep. Helping new or unaware owners and finders learn not to post the tracking number is peer-to-peer training. Logging virtual (fake, false) discoveries is always done from the shadows - the posters know there is a bit of dark-sidedness involved.

Come to the Dark Side. We have cookies.

THREAD WAKE UP POST

I'm European & think you should see a travel-bug.

One of my Travel bugs apparently went to "Pod Widmowym Królem V - Geocoin Festival" (GC5XX8K) and now I'm getting spammed with "Discovery" emails :(

Most of the logs don't hide not seeing the TB IRL (e.g. Seen on the event in Krakow).

What's happening? Will the discoveries stop? :?

On 09/04 someone added the TB to the Geocoin festival

And since there have been 33 discoveries.

The majority of those form the last 24hrs

Edited by kevenh

I've recently gotten a lot of "discovered it" logs for a geocoin that has never been photographed and is in my basement.  So, I've added a statement on the description of the geocoin in three languages...

-This is my personal geocoin and is in my possession.  Any "discovered it" logs from internet lists will be deleted.

We'll see if it cuts down on the fake logs, but I kinda think that you should actually see the coin (or at least be in the same vicinity) to discover it.

Keep on caching!!

18 hours ago, Henny Penny said:

I've recently gotten a lot of "discovered it" logs for a geocoin that has never been photographed and is in my basement.  So, I've added a statement on the description of the geocoin in three languages...

-This is my personal geocoin and is in my possession.  Any "discovered it" logs from internet lists will be deleted.

We'll see if it cuts down on the fake logs, but I kinda think that you should actually see the coin (or at least be in the same vicinity) to discover it.

Fakers aren't in the same group as "virtual".  :)

Maybe someone got a hit on your coin while generating random codes...they then add it to a list...annnnnd it goes downhill from there...

The other 2/3rds had sheets made years ago ('08) "only for" others she shared hundreds of coin codes with.  It saved time...

She still gets hits ten years later.  

- But "virtual" trackables and logs have been allowed for some time, the help center says "Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged. It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this".  

I need help understanding something I encountered today. I have a few trackables that always stay with me and have never been shown to anyone. I've had a few bogus discoveries on some of these but I would just delete the bogus log. I received an email earlier that one of these had been discovered but when I opened the trackable page to delete the log there is no log.

When I look at the cacher's "finds" it shows they logged a discovery on 3/10/19 but still no log on my trackable page. How can they get credit for a discovery without leaving a log?

1 hour ago, 31BMSG said:

I need help understanding something I encountered today. I have a few trackables that always stay with me and have never been shown to anyone. I've had a few bogus discoveries on some of these but I would just delete the bogus log. I received an email earlier that one of these had been discovered but when I opened the trackable page to delete the log there is no log.

When I look at the cacher's "finds" it shows they logged a discovery on 3/10/19 but still no log on my trackable page. How can they get credit for a discovery without leaving a log?

They could log it and then delete the log I guess. Might have been a mistake. They could have meant to log a TB with a similar number, but made a mistake; realised this and deleted this.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1

Just had all my TB's hit by an armchair logger called Bonnie+Clyde. One of them has been lost for years. They log it saying "Discovered it by chance due to code typing error.

What is the correct thing to do? Are they gaining anything other than a fake status?

Should I delete them or just leave it alone. It seems to me to dilute everyone else's achievements and pollute the system with fakery.

Screenshot 2019-04-30 at 19.27.07.png

8 minutes ago, Documentally said:

Just had all my TB's hit by an armchair logger called Bonnie+Clyde. One of them has been lost for years. They log it saying "Discovered it by chance due to code typing error.

What is the correct thing to do? Are they gaining anything other than a fake status?

Should I delete them or just leave it alone. It seems to me to dilute everyone else's achievements and pollute the system with fakery.

I saw it on two...    

Curious, what "status" does one have finding a trackable ?  Thanks.  :)

In their log, "Sharing in the web" says the code may have been shown at one time. 

Supposed to be "discovered by chance" , yet they happened to find two codes belonging to the same person.  Does seem odd... 

(To me) that and "code typing error" says they may have a code generator and they're logging as many codes possible to see what sticks.

- And would make one wonder about their 32,000+ found caches then too ...

Now that there are  "virtual"  trackables, I don't believe there is a "correct" thing to do.  Do what you feel is right.

If it bugs you delete it.  

• Helpful 1

I had a bunch of "discovered" logs show up on a bunch of long lost travel bugs. Apparently they got on a list circulating in Europe.

I deleted the logs, and locked the TBs to prevent more.

I have specific directions on my current bugs regarding "discovered" logs, and delete any that don't follow. Logs should reflect the actual movement and status of the bugs. Fake logs just add garbage to the bugs' pages.

I sometimes wonder which is more OCD, the cachers who love to build numbers with fake logs, or me for being so annoyed at them...

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
4 hours ago, Dave_W6DPS said:

I have specific directions on my current bugs regarding "discovered" logs, and delete any that don't follow. Logs should reflect the actual movement and status of the bugs. Fake logs just add garbage to the bugs' pages.

"Legitimate logs only. "Discover" logs with no photo of you and the bug will be deleted." on trackable pages I don't feel is correct, though it is yours...

A Discover log is legitimate, as It's a log type.   I cache distance mostly, with a GPSr instead of a phone.

I'm not bringing a camera for your trackable...  :P

I don't cache enough to take trackables with me all times, but I've logged quite a few trackables Discovered with information that helps the CO. 

Found in a cache other than the one it's listed, or a hoarder bringing a bag of other's trackables to events are a couple.  A "heads up"...

If you don't care that someone may be Discovering that trackable to help you out, I'm more than happy to no longer help.  You.  :)

6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

"A Discover log is legitimate, as It's a log type."  "...If you don't care that someone may be Discovering that trackable to help you out, I'm more than happy to no longer help.  You.  "

It is only a legitimate log IF you actually discover the trackable. Discover meaning lay eyes and/or hands on the actual item.

You didn't quote the parts about not being abandoned at events or put on lists of trackables.

"Discovering" a bug on a list of numbers at an event no where near the bug is not a legitimate log. "Discovering" a bug that has been lost for years is not a legitimate log. Suddenly getting a dozen or more "Discovered" logs on a trackable from people who have never seen it just adds noise to the page. Requiring a  photo weeds out bogus "discovered" logs.

Mentioning in your cache log that the listed bugs are, or are not, in the cache helps as much as a "Discovered" log.

I prefer that my travel bugs travel. They are not called "Discover Bugs".

12 hours ago, Dave_W6DPS said:

Mentioning in your cache log that the listed bugs are, or are not, in the cache helps as much as a "Discovered" log.

Okay...     How?

A TO would have to have every cache their trackables  are in on watch to see that log (since they don't get notification on a cache log...).

A Discover log tells the TO immediately there may be an issue. 

- But if you want to check a cache page when any chance of figuring what happened is too late, that's fine too.  :)

Most times when we see a "trackable not in cache" log, we find it at the bottom of swag "parts". 

- I'd like to think most TOs would be happy to know it's not missing after all. 

Most COs we know just delete the trackable from their inventory (rather than check themselves) when they see those mentions.

12 hours ago, Dave_W6DPS said:

Discovering" a bug on a list of numbers at an event no where near the bug is not a legitimate log.

"Discovering" a bug that has been lost for years is not a legitimate log. Suddenly getting a dozen or more "Discovered" logs on a trackable from people who have never seen it just adds noise to the page.

Requiring a  photo weeds out bogus "discovered" logs.

It is only a legitimate log IF you actually discover the trackable. Discover meaning lay eyes and/or hands on the actual item.

We know dozens of folks who swap lists of trackables (coins mostly) they own.   Geocoinfest attendees would never be able to leave a table otherwise.

All belong to them.  My other 2/3rds has well-over 200. 

- Many folks couldn't write-out that many, much less remember if what they wrote match each one seen...

If I can't take a trackable with me, but realize that it's been missing for years,  the TO would probably like to know that.

"Requiring" a photo" only helps me decide to leave that one alone.  Since I use a GPSr instead of a phone, I'll find that out when I get home.

If it's damaged you won't know 'til the next cacher gets there. Most caches I'm hitting see a cacher every four-to-six months.  :D

Maybe I missed an "In my opinion..."  too.  ;)

In this site's  Help Center it even says,  "Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged.  It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this."

The trackable owner can have a "virtual" (no eyes or hands on the actual item...) trackable to be Discovered,  if they'd like it to be that way.  

- They own it...    :)

On 4/30/2019 at 8:20 PM, cerberus1 said:

I saw it on two...    

Curious, what "status" does one have finding a trackable ?  Thanks.  :)

In their log, "Sharing in the web" says the code may have been shown at one time. 

Supposed to be "discovered by chance" , yet they happened to find two codes belonging to the same person.  Does seem odd... 

(To me) that and "code typing error" says they may have a code generator and they're logging as many codes possible to see what sticks.

- And would make one wonder about their 32,000+ found caches then too ...

Now that there are  "virtual"  trackables, I don't believe there is a "correct" thing to do.  Do what you feel is right.

If it bugs you delete it.  

they sent a message stating that...

"Hi,
sorry, it was a big mistake withe our TB Logger Software, only with a few numbers in a little number range. But i have corrected the bug,
so it will never happens"

Means little to me but I'm not that fussed.

:-) 

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe I missed an "In my opinion..."  too.  ;)

In this site's  Help Center it even says,  "Virtual trackables with virtual logs are not encouraged.  It is up to the trackable owner to state if they allow this."

The trackable owner can have a "virtual" (no eyes or hands on the actual item...) trackable to be Discovered,  if they'd like it to be that way.  

- They own it...    :)

It is an online forum. "In my opinion" should be assumed on all posts.

The owner can specifically designate that they accept "virtual" logs, even though this is not encouraged. I specifically state that I only want real logs. Completely within the guideline you quoted. As you noted, I own my trackables.

On 5/2/2019 at 5:41 AM, cerberus1 said:

If you don't care that someone may be Discovering that trackable to help you out, I'm more than happy to no longer help.  You.  :)

What percentage of all currently filed discovery logs would you seriously call helpful or at least informative for the TB owner?

IMVHO it is close to 0% since a helpful discovery would require that the cache is rarely visited and the TB has a very specific goal (visible also without internet) so the discoverer has a profound reason to only discover and not to take the TB.

6 hours ago, Hynz said:

What percentage of all currently filed discovery logs would you seriously call helpful or at least informative for the TB owner?

IMVHO it is close to 0% since a helpful discovery would require that the cache is rarely visited and the TB has a very specific goal (visible also without internet) so the discoverer has a profound reason to only discover and not to take the TB.

I imagine it's similar to "what percentage of 'took it to' visit logs are really helping the CO ?" , when some are held for months on end. 

- It varies by cacher.

A helpful Discovery may be something as simple as a notice of the trackable still in the cache and in good shape (notifying the TO that there aren't issues),  it's size just big enough to be a tough fit in most smalls and not taken. 

On 5/2/2019 at 4:41 AM, cerberus1 said:
On 5/2/2019 at 12:24 AM, Dave_W6DPS said:

"Legitimate logs only. "Discover" logs with no photo of you and the bug will be deleted." on trackable pages I don't feel is correct, though it is yours...

A Discover log is legitimate, as It's a log type.   I cache distance mostly, with a GPSr instead of a phone.

I'm not bringing a camera for your trackable...  :P

I don't cache enough to take trackables with me all times, but I've logged quite a few trackables Discovered with information that helps the CO. 

Found in a cache other than the one it's listed, or a hoarder bringing a bag of other's trackables to events are a couple.  A "heads up"...

I fully support the intent, Dave - you don't want fake logs - but a log isn't fake just because it doesn't have a photo attached.  Of course, you can delete any logs you like (or don't like!), but I'm wondering whether this is just rhetoric?  Sure, if somebody from the other side of the world 'discovers' your bug on a list, you can delete, no problem.  But if the odds are that it is a genuine discovery (maybe there's a corresponding find log on the cache the bug's in), would/do you still delete the log when there's no photo?  Just curious. ?

Edited by IceColdUK
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

But if the odds are that it is a genuine discovery (maybe there's a corresponding find log on the cache the bug's in), would/do you still delete the log when there's no photo?  Just curious. ?

If there was other evidence I might leave a discovered log. But since they are, in my experience, only associated with event caches followed by a bunch of discovered logs.

If it were actually in a physical cache it might be different, but yes, so far no photo means I delete. If anyone contacted me about why their log was deleted, we could discuss it. So far, no one has even asked.

Once I asked that the photo be deleted due to it showing the TB number, and of course left the log.

Edited by Dave_W6DPS
On 5/2/2019 at 9:21 AM, cerberus1 said:

A Discover log tells the TO immediately there may be an issue. 

- But if you want to check a cache page when any chance of figuring what happened is too late, that's fine too.  :)

I try to remember to check caches for trackable inventory, so I can look for the trackable in the cache. If an inventory trackable is missing from the cache and there has been what I consider sufficient time for previous finders to have logged the trackable, then I like to let the TO know about the missing trackable by writing a "Write Note" log on the trackable's page. After all, I can't log a "Discover" log without having seen the trackable.

Now I'm wondering, does the TO receive notifications of "Write Note" logs?  I'm thinking they do, but not sure.

16 hours ago, noncentric said:

I try to remember to check caches for trackable inventory, so I can look for the trackable in the cache. If an inventory trackable is missing from the cache and there has been what I consider sufficient time for previous finders to have logged the trackable, then I like to let the TO know about the missing trackable by writing a "Write Note" log on the trackable's page. After all, I can't log a "Discover" log without having seen the trackable.

Now I'm wondering, does the TO receive notifications of "Write Note" logs?  I'm thinking they do, but not sure.

Yep.

Since I go by terrain, looking at caches singly (and maybe another close by on the cache-page map), I read every bit of information, some logs too,  to get an idea what I might be in for.  A simple climb-a-tree cache now missing all lower branches something good to know...     :) 

Rare for me to take a trackable unless it's been in a cache for quite a while. 

I just don't cache enough these days, after realizing that I was pretty-much abandoning other hobbies I enjoyed (the other 2/3rds not caching any longer helped with that ;-). 

If a trackable listed isn't there, I enter a write note and send a mail to the TO.  It's there, I'll Discover it and tell the TO it's okay (or not).

Most times lately for some odd reason I find most trackables in caches other than the one they're listed in. 

- That's part of the "or not..." .    ;)  

Edited by cerberus1
missed an in
On 5/3/2019 at 7:19 PM, IceColdUK said:

I fully support the intent, Dave - you don't want fake logs - but a log isn't fake just because it doesn't have a photo attached.  Of course, you can delete any logs you like (or don't like!), but I'm wondering whether this is just rhetoric?  Sure, if somebody from the other side of the world 'discovers' your bug on a list, you can delete, no problem.  But if the odds are that it is a genuine discovery (maybe there's a corresponding find log on the cache the bug's in), would/do you still delete the log when there's no photo?  Just curious. ?

FWIW on my (currently only) traveler I have the following text in the description:

Travel from cache to cache and share pictures and stories.

There's no need to rush. After picking up the coin better wait for a nice and remote cache than to drop it in the next overcrowded cache with lots of clueless visitors.

Please spare the coin meaningless "Discover" and "Visit/Took" logs. If not accompanied with pictures or stories such logs will probably be deleted.

I would also be thankful if you avoid taking the coin to events. But if you do please hand it over to a trustful cacher, don't leave me unattended so I don't get lost and try to prevent that my tracking number is getting on one of those infamous lists. Thanx.

By and large I stick to this by deleting empty logs. So far discussions about this could always be solved amicable.

What I want to achieve is a concise history of the traveling as it was envisioned when TBs where introduced. I understand that empty "took it" and "discovery" logs could be considered as enabling a more detailed history.  But the careless usage by lots of holder and the practical presentation by Groundspeak proofed this idea IMNSHO as completely failed. That's my poster child for a dysfunctional TB page https://coord.info/TB3PH1B Try opening and navigating the map view :wacko:

The current holder of my coin already "took it" to lots of caches. I asked him to stop and at least not to be disappointed when I will delete the logs in the future.

A former holder made ~25 "took it" logs, all accompanied with a photo. I would have preferred much fewer steps by one holder but of course I'm sticking to my own rules :P

• Upvote 2
13 hours ago, Hynz said:

Travel from cache to cache and share pictures and stories.

There's no need to rush. After picking up the coin better wait for a nice and remote cache than to drop it in the next overcrowded cache with lots of clueless visitors.

Please spare the coin meaningless "Discover" and "Visit/Took" logs. If not accompanied with pictures or stories such logs will probably be deleted.

I would also be thankful if you avoid taking the coin to events. But if you do please hand it over to a trustful cacher, don't leave me unattended so I don't get lost and try to prevent that my tracking number is getting on one of those infamous lists. Thanx.

This is good.  Personally, I don’t often tell much of a story on a TB log, and I only very occasionally post photos.  I absolutely hate those ‘every visit’ logs, but if I am carrying TB, I will add enough visits for the owner to see its journey, without leaving the turn by turn directions.

Maybe GCHQ could put a second random number-letter combination on future TBs, and the cacher would have to enter it in a box before being able to log like the mystery cache challenge checker. Maybe something like this could be implemented to geocaches and older TBs as well (maybe with a sticker?). Maybe this could cost a little extra. Just an idea.

18 minutes ago, RedGuy11 said:

Maybe GCHQ could put a second random number-letter combination on future TBs, and the cacher would have to enter it in a box before being able to log

What makes you think that extra number will not go on the same lists as TB codes (and mystery solutions, final coordinates for multi's....)?

Cheaters will cheat.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, RedGuy11 said:

Maybe GCHQ could put a second random number-letter combination on future TBs, and the cacher would have to enter it in a box before being able to log like the mystery cache challenge checker. Maybe something like this could be implemented to geocaches and older TBs as well (maybe with a sticker?). Maybe this could cost a little extra. Just an idea.

Rather than add yet-another move that does nothing, maybe TOs can just delete fake logs to calm the stat-nuts down a bit.   :)

There are many Trackable Owners who share the tracking code virtually on purpose (and they're allowed to), to get as many Discover logs on their trackable they can.

This shouldn't affect the TO who doesn't want that at all though... if they'd only take some responsibility and delete 'em.

We're all aware that cache logs are part of maintenance, why not these things too ?

I just had someone log in 5 of my travel bugs. I messaged them then found this forum. They responded that they were at a geobash and said, "There was several sheets of paper st the trackable table and there were over 400 trackables in the bins at Midwest Geobash this weekend. I only discover so I do not know if it was one of the ones in the bin or in the sheets of paper."

Except 4/5 haven't had a single log in 2-9 years, and "discovering" a number of a piece of paper sure seems to miss the spirit of the activity. I will be curious to see if anyone else logs them in.