CacheAcrossAmerica needs caches in the central US to link to the East West Chain across America

zoisrus

Cache Across America ia a project whose goal is to link Geocaches in a continuous chain from the Atlantic Coast to the Pacific Coast. Each Cache in the chain must be NO further than 100 miles from the one it connects to. The West Chain has already extended from the Pacific Coast east into Nevada and a promising section is crossing Massachusetts extending westward and hopefully will connect with the NY-Ohio segment. There is also an Illinois-Wisconsin Segement that already exist that hopefully will be connecting with with the Ohio-NY segment shortly.

We need help from Geocachers in the Central states west of Wisconsin to extend the Northern section of the chain westward. You can start an east-west chain in your state by submitting caches you own or have visited within 100 miles of each other and/or join the existing segment by visiting the last cache in the chain closest to you and then e-mailing the Yahoo Group with the info and name of the cache or caches.

All the info you need to help the project out can be found at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAcrossAmerica/

thanks, zoisrus (Ohio Geocacher)

ive been watching the chains for about 2 weeks now i have a question maybe you can answer, does a cache have to be linked to the very end of the chain? the reason i ask is the WI-IL chain seemed to have been moving slowly west till someone linked a cache to the west end that was farther NE than the previous link. icon_mad.gif

anyways when the chains swinge back around and gets close to iowa again(assuming it is coming threw iowa) i plan on linking a few caches to it. but do i want to try to aim for the SW toward the texas chain? toward the W for the Utah chain? or N-NW threw minnesota, even though there is nothing to link to up there..... icon_confused.gif

ive been watching the chains for about 2 weeks now i have a question maybe you can answer, does a cache have to be linked to the very end of the chain? the reason i ask is the WI-IL chain seemed to have been moving slowly west till someone linked a cache to the west end that was farther NE than the previous link. icon_mad.gif

anyways when the chains swinge back around and gets close to iowa again(assuming it is coming threw iowa) i plan on linking a few caches to it. but do i want to try to aim for the SW toward the texas chain? toward the W for the Utah chain? or N-NW threw minnesota, even though there is nothing to link to up there..... icon_confused.gif

Welsh:

You might consider starting a section of chain in Iowa if you aren't currently close enough to the "west" end of the Wisconsin-Illinois-Indiana chain. In my opinion (and someone else may certainly have a different idea) the goal could be to head towards and ultimately connect with the existing California-Nevada-Utah Chain. You definitely want to head west not south.

Viewing the chains that currently exist and are moving eastward the most obvious route would be for the chain to continue moving east of Salt Lake City into Wyoming or Colorado and then into Nebraska to connect with a westward moving chain coming from Wisconsin and your own state, Iowa. From what I can tell there are a lot of caches hidden along the I-80 corridor east of Salt Lake. If anyone along that route could add some links of chain that would get things really moving to help connect the east and west coast chains. Of course since I don't live in that area, the direction the chains take depends on what the Geocachers in the Great Plains states decide to doicon_smile.gif

Welsh:

You might consider starting a section of chain in Iowa if you aren't currently close enough to the "west" end of the Wisconsin-Illinois-Indiana chain. In my opinion (and someone else may certainly have a different idea) the goal could be to head towards and ultimately connect with the existing California-Nevada-Utah Chain. You definitely want to head west not south.

Viewing the chains that currently exist and are moving eastward the most obvious route would be for the chain to continue moving east of Salt Lake City into Wyoming or Colorado and then into Nebraska to connect with a westward moving chain coming from Wisconsin and your own state, Iowa. From what I can tell there are a lot of caches hidden along the I-80 corridor east of Salt Lake. If anyone along that route could add some links of chain that would get things really moving to help connect the east and west coast chains. Of course since I don't live in that area, the direction the chains take depends on what the Geocachers in the Great Plains states decide to do:)

You can start your own chain in Iowa and work it toward the Wisconsin end of the chain. With the caches we have in common Welch, we should be able to connect them.

As I stated on the CAA page, my original intention for the Illinois portion of the chain was to have it be a North-South chain, but it sat stagnant forever. Now people wanted to extend through Chicago East-West, so I turned the southern end of the chain back to the Chicago area through my caches and we've now connected it into Indiana.

I'd certainly be able to do the same thing to the northern end of the chain.

If no one else extends the chain westward by the end of the month, I'll be able to do so when I come out to the Great Plaines Spring thingy in Des Moines on June 1.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

With the existing caches in Neb and western Iowa, we could set up a I-29 route from SD and Minn to I-80 and go west through Nebraska fairly easily as well. We could then loop back to the Black Hills and have a Great Plains Cache Loop. "Der Ring Des Cache".

I've looked at this topic several times over the past few weeks. Each time I go back I hope I will understand it better, but so far I don't. What the heck is the purpose of this chain across the U.S.? What will you do with it once you have it completed? Why not just pick out caches from the Buxley maps and submit them? (I'm sure someone has been to them.) I understand the goal, but not the purpose of the goal. Please help.

Something to do while waiting for the weekend.

It's a little more difficult than just using Buxley's maps. You have to have visited the cache at the end of the chain, and then visited the cache you wish to add to the chain, and they have to be less than 100 miles apart.

I can't help by extending the chain that runs through Illinois by arbitrarily pickin a cache in NY that I haven't visited. But I am going to NC later this month, and I might be able to help by first visiting the cache at the end of that chain and another less than 100 miles NW, thus adding the chain.

Again, this is what people do when they CAN'T cache. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Something to do while waiting for the weekend.

It's a little more difficult than just using Buxley's maps. You have to have visited the cache at the end of the chain, and then visited the cache you wish to add to the chain, and they have to be less than 100 miles apart.

I can't help by extending the chain that runs through Illinois by arbitrarily pickin a cache in NY that I haven't visited. But I am going to NC later this month, and I might be able to help by first visiting the cache at the end of that chain and another less than 100 miles NW, thus adding the chain.

Again, this is what people do when they CAN'T cache. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers