Rail Trail GeoTrail

AgentHop

November 2nd will be the launch of The Rail Trail GeoTrail (RTGT). This is a geotrail created along the Mary Black Foundation Rail Trail located in Spartanburg, SC. There will be 12 caches placed along the 1.9 mile stretch of converted railroad tracks. By answering 12 questions related to each cache site and successfully completing the RTGT passport, you can earn yourself a pathtag designed specifically for the RTGT.

The RTGT is AgentGeo's (my daughter...yes I am proud :) ) creation to earn her Girl Scout Silver Award. The Silver Award is awarded to a Girl Scout who creates a project that benefits the community. The purpose of the RTGT is to encourage people to get out and exercise while enjoying the outdoors along the Rail Trail. AgentGeo has been working on this project since March of this year, and I cannot tell you how many times we have walked up and down that stretch of asphalt scoping out hiding spots and taking readings...readjusting hiding spots (for one reason or another), and taking more readings...seeing a better spot, and taking more reading...you get the picture. Everything is good though because AgentGeo is more familiar with the Groundspeak website, how to work the GPSr, and how to communicate with people associated with the project; and I have learned about patience and how much of it I don't have.

The passports of the RTGT will be available at the Kickoff event - RTGT - The Rail Trail GeoTrail Kickoff. After the event the geotrail will remain, and the passport will be available for download on the Palmetto Conservation Foundation website and the Partners for Active Living website. A bookmark listing of the caches (once they go live) can be found here: RTGT CACHES