Single Cache Powertrails

CapeDoc

I personally hate powertrails. I cache for unique locations, historical insights and for being pushed out of my comfort zone. I dont want to really start a debate about the merits of powertrails, I think that dead horse has been well flogged.

In a little statement of objection to powertrails I have decided to place one. It is a single multicache. You get one smiley.

To do it you have to walk up a mountain 3 times (all in tough locations to get to), rappel down a 120m cliff, snorkel to find a bit underwater, paddle to an uninhabited island, walk along a ledge with a 300m cliff drop off and crawl through a 70m cave with some tight squeezes (which is on top of another mountain at the end of a 1 hour 20min walk). A scuba stage will probably be added too.

Each part would be a pretty challenging cache on its own.

What other caches are out there that you know of that make you do similar? How extreme do multicaches get?

I personally hate powertrails. I cache for unique locations, historical insights and for being pushed out of my comfort zone. I dont want to really start a debate about the merits of powertrails, I think that dead horse has been well flogged.

In a little statement of objection to powertrails I have decided to place one. It is a single multicache. You get one smiley.

To do it you have to walk up a mountain 3 times (all in tough locations to get to), rappel down a 120m cliff, snorkel to find a bit underwater, paddle to an uninhabited island, walk along a ledge with a 300m cliff drop off and crawl through a 70m cave with some tight squeezes (which is on top of another mountain at the end of a 1 hour 20min walk). A scuba stage will probably be added too.

What other caches are out there that you know of that make you do similar? How extreme do multicaches get?

I personally don't like multis.

If all of the stages were traditionals, I would enjoy going for them. As a multi, I wouldn't bother. Usually I only go for multis after I have done all interesting traditionals in the area. It is too much trouble searching difficult stages just to realize that something in the middle is missing. I can do nice climbing, diving or paddling without any caches at all. No need for a multi for that. Traditionals get me moving and getting me in places I might not go otherwise.

Power trails I have not done yet. I would go for a T5-power trail for sure. The number hunting power trail I might try some day... or not.

That doesn't sound like a powertrail at all, just a very difficult multi cache. If you want a single cache powertrail, you need 20+ stages in a row, all 530' apart leading to the final.

I think the most we did was a seven-stage "5" multi and we hated it.

There was one with twelve, but I believe it's now archived.

Lugging many pounds of "what if..." gear just in case wasn't fun.

The whole set-up seemed designed to just satisfy some odd ego trip of the CO.

We enjoy "5" hides of all types and like Keokas, prefer them to be traditionals.

Edited by cerberus1

And there's nothing I love more than long winded, difficult and frustrating multis. My most favorite cache type!! Ever!

In fact, I'll walk right past a lame traditional while killing myself with an awesome multi. I like to be challenged and have fun. Most traditionals are barely worth my time..

And there's nothing I love more than long winded, difficult and frustrating multis. My most favorite cache type!! Ever!

In fact, I'll walk right past a lame traditional while killing myself with an awesome multi. I like to be challenged and have fun. Most traditionals are barely worth my time..

I wanna ride my kayak down the mountain

Nothing would make me happier... :)

If you want a single cache powertrail, you need 20+ stages in a row, all 530' apart leading to the final.

..... And each stage should be mind numbingly boring......you keep your definition of powertrail, I'll keep mine.

Make it how you want and it does sound like if someone completed it they would be stoked. Just not sure how many would actually go find it. There are so many cool things you mentioned there that we would love to do! All of those caches individually would get favorites from us. Kayaking to a island, climbing in a cave, scuba diving...Not sure I would be able to take the time to do them all for one cache though. If you could put all those in a area it wouldn't seem like a power trail to me, each one sounds like its own adventure. It is not a long trail with a cache in a lamp post every so often to keep you walking. I'm not at all discouraging doing it as it sounds like a lot of work to set up and maintain. If you can pull it off then that is awesome but I don't see you getting many finds or people enjoying all your effort you would be putting into it. If I could do it though I would probibly enjoy it. Guessing it will be a 5x5?

Nothing would make me happier... :)

Geocaching.com forums need a "Like" button! That's an EPIC burn!! Lol

That does sound extreme! I like doing challenging multi-stage caches, and especially if they have a "theme". One of the advantage of such caches (over traditionals) is unique physical stages can be used that need not be containers. I've done multis which involve wading in a river, crawling in a cave, climbing a tree amongst other things. But not as extreme as yours.

Personally while my heart would love to do it, your cache would be too extreme for me (especially the cliff rappelling). But those who can and choose to do it I am sure will enjoy it.

I personally don't like multis.

If all of the stages were traditionals, I would enjoy going for them. As a multi, I wouldn't bother. Usually I only go for multis after I have done all interesting traditionals in the area. It is too much trouble searching difficult stages just to realize that something in the middle is missing. I can do nice climbing, diving or paddling without any caches at all. No need for a multi for that. Traditionals get me moving and getting me in places I might not go otherwise.

Big +1.

If you want a single cache powertrail, you need 20+ stages in a row, all 530' apart leading to the final.

..... And each stage should be mind numbingly boring......you keep your definition of powertrail, I'll keep mine.

It's not my definition, it's the accepted definition - as you used in the first post "I hate powertrail." Your idea sounds like an interesting idea (but I agree with others, you won't see many finds) but I fail to see how it can be equated to a "single cache powertrail."