Iowans?

Guest pottsie

Guest kbraband

I guess I'm no longer an Iowan, even though I spent more than 30 years there. I have placed a cache in Iowa (Grandpa Kettleson's Farm). I got started one year ago. Found out about it through a Yahoo message board for GPS users. Where's Hazelton? I've heard of it.

Hey Pottsie! I was all depressed when I didn't know about your cache near Arlington till it was already found. Will have to get back down there. I visited Brush Creek a few years back. Remember seeing a beaver dam there with newly "chewed-off" trees near by. Neat! (Years AND YEARS ago, I detassled corn just southwest of Arlington for DeKalb plant in Oelwein.)

I am near Decorah. Will have to hit your caches when the weather straightens out. So far have been hitting some in Illinois (a friend lives there), at La Crosse and in SE Minnesota. (I work 2 days a week or so in SE MN... oh yes, I am not independently wealthy, so do have another job!)

I made a list of places I'd like to put caches. There's **FORTY!** sites on it so far. Doubt I'll get quite that many out. But... come spring... look for some to start showing up a little to your Northeast. hehheeee...

Glad to meetchya!

lizs

Ohhhhh... I started cuz I got a GPS for Christmas. I like to get outdoors hiking, camping and backpacking (would sure like to do MORE backpacking!!) a lot more than I currently do. I had seen people mention geocaching before on the backpacking forum where I hang out.

The GPS was a gift from somone not wanting me to get lost. Ironically, trying it out New Year's Day in a farflung portion of Yellow River St. Forest, totally offtrail, I managed to lose the manual I had with me. LOL!! And it was getting dark, so I didn't want to use the obvious tracking system to go back and find it. (Can you say big bluffs above Yellow River? And coming down very steep slopes/bluffs, lunging from tree to tree so as not to crash down the hill outta control?? With darkness closing in as the sun was setting?)

Nope, didn't make it back to find the manual, which I now assume is rotting away under snow. hehehe... And then again, the manual is ONLINE, a PDF, for my Garmin Etrex. So that's good. :-)

And speaking of backpacking, it sounds like some people from the backpacking forum will be getting together at Yellow River State Forest Memorial Day weekened. There's not much info yet, but if anyone here is into that and is interested, contact me ... and I'll let ya know as info becomes available.

OK, I'LL SHUT UP NOW!!!

My son and I do some backpacking and I was researching a trip we'll be taking this summer (Colorado Trail - only about 10% of it) on www.thebackpacker.com or www.backpacker.com and came across the link to geocaching. Started only this last week, but think it will fit in nicely with our backpacking.

We'll be day-hiking throughout the summer and we'll be throwing in several over-nighters and weekenders before our trip to CO in August. Check out the multi-cache we've started in downtown Cedar Rapids. We've got most of it laid out and will be releasing a new cache with hints on the location of the final cache over the next three weeks or so.

If anyone wants to get together in the area for a dayhike or a geocache hunt, let me know. tpaige@peccomm.com

icepak icon_biggrin.gif

icepak

My son and I do some backpacking and I was researching a trip we'll be taking this summer (Colorado Trail - only about 10% of it) on www.thebackpacker.com or www.backpacker.com and came across the link to geocaching. Started only this last week, but think it will fit in nicely with our backpacking.

We'll be day-hiking throughout the summer and we'll be throwing in several over-nighters and weekenders before our trip to CO in August. Check out the multi-cache we've started in downtown Cedar Rapids. We've got most of it laid out and will be releasing a new cache with hints on the location of the final cache over the next three weeks or so.

If anyone wants to get together in the area for a dayhike or a geocache hunt, let me know. tpaige@peccomm.com

icepak icon_biggrin.gif

icepak

quote:
Originally posted by icepak:

My son and I do some backpacking and I was researching a trip we'll be taking this summer (Colorado Trail - only about 10% of it) on http://www.thebackpacker.com or http://www.backpacker.com and came across the link to geocaching. Started only this last week, but think it will fit in nicely with our backpacking.

icepak icon_biggrin.gif

icepak

your refering to the lucky7 caches??

[This message was edited by welch on April 02, 2002 at 02:27 PM.]

quote:

My son and I do some backpacking and I was researching a trip we'll be taking this summer (Colorado Trail - only about 10% of it) on http://www.thebackpacker.com or http://www.backpacker.com and came across the link to geocaching. Started only this last week, but think it will fit in nicely with our backpacking.

icepak icon_biggrin.gif

icepak

Hi, icepak. So you're from Iowa, too? :-)

I also post on www.thebackpacker.com as lizs, just like here. Did you know the Crazy Mike guy from NW Indiana is having a group backpack at Yellow River State Forest. I'm kinda planning on that. It's Memorial Day weekend. I was there yesterday, hiking, (April 13) and ran into a couple gals at a backpacking campsite from C.R.

See ya around!

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

quote:

icepak icon_biggrin.gif

icepak

Hi, icepak. So you're from Iowa, too? :-)

I also post on www.thebackpacker.com as lizs, just like here. Did you know the Crazy Mike guy from NW Indiana is having a group backpack at Yellow River State Forest. I'm kinda planning on that. It's Memorial Day weekend. I was there yesterday, hiking, (April 13) and ran into a couple gals at a backpacking campsite from C.R.

See ya around!

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

quote:

icepak icon_biggrin.gif

icepak

I live in Des Moines by Water Works Park and like to go caching with Erika, Winston (The Beagle) and my friend bjackson. I became familiar with Geocaching when a friend of mine in Denver came to visit and brought his GPS. I was immediatly drawn to the "Gadget Factor". We did our first cache the next night!!

quote:
Originally posted by eTrexer:

Anyone from NW Iowa or in the area around Orange City.(Home of tulip Festival)

SaidGeoTeam is in NW Iowa. We are in Cherokee County. We've just gotten into GeoCaching this summer and we're having a ball! We've hidden several caches in NW Iowa, so hope you'll check them out.

SaidGeoTeam

I'm from Des Moines, Iowa. Actually, I got interested in caching in a round-about fashion. Because I'm about 20 pounds overweight, my doctor suggested that I start walking. However, I find it difficult to be motivated to go walk in a circle for "no reason."

When I got my GPS and found out about caching from Wil Wheaton's web site (www.wilwheaton.net, yes he played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek TNG), it seemed like a good way to "motivate" myself to go out and exercise regularly.

I just found my first cache on Sunday and, since I'm very goal oriented, I found myself walking farther, faster than ever before. I loved it! Thrashing about in the woods, finding the cache was great. Lying in the grass and watching the birds at Easter Lake afterwards was incredibly relaxing.

I think I'm in it for the long haul now. I'm hooked.

We stumbled across this sport on the web. I still have no idea on why or how I came across it. Now all I do when time permits is read about it and dream of the possibilities. My wife and I will bu icon_razz.gify a GPSR when we decide on what to get. We look forward to getting out. This looks like great fun and exercise. We are from Ottumwa and look forward to placing some caches after we find some and learn more about the sport.

R&D

PS – Thanks for this great site.

I just thought I would check in with the other Iowa Geocachers out there. I am located in Des Moines. I got started by reading an article online about geocaching, and decided to jump in feet first! I bought a GPSr within a couple days, and found my first cache that next weekend. I just hope that now winter is upon us that it doesn't slow down my caching adventures too much. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by GeoIA on October 29, 2002 at 11:47 AM.]

Just noticed this thread... figured I'd check in.

I joined May 2001, and then "lurked" for over a year before buying a GPSr and going on a cache hunt. I particularly like going on caches with friends. I've gone on cache hunts with quite a few different people.

spinwebby has done a couple of "newbie treks" and a picnic. I've joined one of the treks and gone to the picnic and they were both fun. I think it might even be fun to get a group of experienced cachers to group hunt a difficult one.

I've also been benchmarking quite a bit. For the marks I've gone after, I've found that the ones in Des Moines seem to mostly be innaccessible and/or missing. I've had better luck percentage-wise in rural locations. If anyone would be interested in a benchmark hunt in the Des Moines area, I'd be happy to organize one (as an experienced guide icon_biggrin.gif - just call me sherpa).

I'm live in Ankeny and am quite new at this.

I've been aware of geocaching for a couple years now, but lacking a GPS I didn't participate.

I started learning to fly in August and just got my pilot's license last month and ended up buying a GPS for THAT hobby. Being able to geocache is just a bonus addition!

(I'm planning on placing at least one if not two caches soon. It will probably be in the spring after the foliage starts coming back, so I can tell how properly guage the placement difficulty.)

I was born and raised in Des Moines, and lived there for 18+ years till I joined the service. I'm planning a trip back to Iowa in January 2003, and would like some suggestions on caches in the Des Moines metro area. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Shawn & Katrina Millang

aka The Coasties

Do you suppose its time for another trek? You know, with all the GPSRs us geocachers are giving as Xmas gifts and all?

I personally prefer to go geocaching in the cooler weather. And its been a rather mild winter so far here. (I write that as the snow gently falls outside... geez, its nice to see it. I wish I had a window at my desk.)

As for great caches in the Des Moines area... Quest for Gilligan is one of mine and seems to be a favorite, but I need to go check on it. It might have gone AWOL again. Also, the Browns Woods caches are popular.

Use the zip code 50309 for downtown Des Moines and 50265 for West Des Moines. Tecmage is correct, there are lots of caches right around the Water Works park area and I highly recommend the Ashworks one. Its off the Riley Trail and you'll be more likely to find wildlife there (if you tread lightly).

Drop me an email if you are interested in a trek. (For those of you unfamiliar, a trek is a group caching event, most often for newbies, but a good social activity, too.)

SpinWebby

www.gpgeocaching.com

37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Theres another thread started to answer your question, over here.icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Coasties:

I was born and raised in Des Moines, and lived there for 18+ years till I joined the service. I'm planning a trip back to Iowa in January 2003, and would like some suggestions on caches in the Des Moines metro area. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Shawn & Katrina Millang

aka The Coasties

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Raised in Des Moines (Urbandale) and lived there and Iowa City for 34 years. Wife is from Waterloo and Iowa City. My Grandfather was mayor of Washington, Iowa and my wife's Grandfather was mayor of Rockford, Iowa (both a while ago). Even though I no longer live there I'm definitely an Iowan at heart (anyone feel like eating a Maid Rite?).

Stumbled upon geocaching while surfing around. Haven't done any searches yet (waiting for Santa to bring me my toy) but plan on diving right in after Christmas.

I leared about caching from an article in Boys Life (the scouting magazine). I was hooked before I finished the article but figured there wouldnt be many caches near me in Vinton. WOW! I was surprised, Welch has one about three blocks from my house (Riverside Cache).

Since then the kids and I have done a few more from Welch and part of icepak's Lucky 7.

Is anyone thinking about a gathering this summer yet?

WindChill

Hi. I've been (still)learning the tricks for a little over a year and a half now. Heard about this "game" from a friend in Kansas City. It has really grown in my area in the last several months! Hope for even more growth. Will have to venture out in a wider radius to feed my habit! Really a fun time and no small animals are killed in the process. LOL

Was at a motorcycle rally in here in Iowa and a gal from MO. had a GPS. She told some other people and my wife and I about geocaching. Had a sheet run off of one in park where the motorcycle rally was asked if we all would like to go with her. Was a blast!!!

In Sept. we borrowed a friend's GPS to try a few out on our own to make sure we liked it and we do and saved up some money to get our own GPS. Been doing it since. Like the ones with a 1/2 mile or more hike to get to the cache the best.

Have lived in Iowa 43 of my 44 years. Live in Carroll, IA. I have been here for 18 years and my wife 12 years. She wants to check out about 15 places for possible caches within a 30 mile radius of this town. Just aren't very many around here. Going to do some searching and then find out from the park rangers and DNR officers if it's okay to put one where we want to.

Been trying to post on here for two weeks now. Last try. Wife and I got into geocaching in August of this year. Was at amotorcycle rally and a gal from MO had a GPS and told us all about it. We borrowed a friend's GPS in Sept. and did a few to be sure it was something we wanted to do before we bought a GPS. We love it. More so the 1/2 mile or more hikes to a cache.

Have lived in Iowa all my life except one year. Live in Carroll, IA. Wife wants to set up some caches now because there aren't to many around here. Will be checking places out in the up coming weekends and then talking to park rangers and DNR officers about placing them.

My botherlaw told me about it. Then I took the bule by the horns and here I am. :P . I love to cache and Ive gotten a lot of others to do it to. My famley duse it to with me some times well must run for now :P soon I use to live in waterloo. My sis is still there I have a caahe in Elkrun.kitelady here bye for now