Bad Cache Series Name

GPS51111

I am placing a series of "bad " caches- as in ( sorry!) one LPS, a rock in a rock pile, small cache in a forest , a very boring place, etc. At the end with be a final with coords from the others. I need a good name. I am at a loss. Some ideas I've thrown away are... " You Know You Are Addicted If you Try These". . " Don't Waste Your Time". "You'll Get A Smile but You Won't Smile" Another local already did NRV ( No Redeeming Value). Help!

The names I thought of were just not clever enough- now the ones posted here- THEY are very funny! ha ha. Now I don't know which to choose. One of my ideas is so funny- it will be at a three way stop sign with lots of nearby parking. It is safe to park and cross.On the corner is a giant pile of volcanic rocks that were tossed during construction of nearby places. You'll have to sit in the open, in the rock pile and everyone will see you. So funny!

Why have you thrown out the other names you mentioned?

And what is the point of a series of bad caches to begin with? Are they leading you to a marvelous final? Or are they there to make a point and encourage better cache placements?

The final is horrible. They are not to encourage better placement. When I bike , I see all kinds of places and get ideas. I also have to laugh why people complain about poor placement, no one is putting a gun to your head to find them. Also, If you are going for 366 days or a streak, we need some of those easy ones. So, I just thought, I'd come out and say, it is a bad placement- but lets see who resists and does NOT find it.

The names I thought of were just not clever enough- now the ones posted here- THEY are very funny! ha ha. Now I don't know which to choose. One of my ideas is so funny- it will be at a three way stop sign with lots of nearby parking. It is safe to park and cross.On the corner is a giant pile of volcanic rocks that were tossed during construction of nearby places. You'll have to sit in the open, in the rock pile and everyone will see you. So funny!

Would you attempt a cache like this? If your answer is no, WHY would you expect others to do it?

I hope you're not anticipating a lot of finds.....I look for almost everything but this one would go straight to the " ignore list ".

If you're going to spend time and effort why not hide caches that others will enjoy ?

This is an example of a local " revenge " cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC47H0J_frond-despond?guid=c28a4a86-a5df-4710-8bdf-4d5a7c8f61c3

Limbo - could be on the bottom of a guardrail.

Need some ideas for these others, though:

Lust - Next to the local adult shop

Gluttony - Under the garbage bin at McD's

Greed - Outside the local pawn shop

Anger - Planted in a neighbour's prize-winning garden

Heresy - Log only, no container :ph34r:

Violence - Tin container rusted shut

Fraud - Listed coords are 50m off

Treachery - No cache in place at all

Dante's Inferno...and each cache can be one of the nine Circles.

Limbo - could be on the bottom of a guardrail.

Need some ideas for these others, though:

Lust -

Gluttony -

Greed -

Anger -

Heresy -

Violence -

Fraud -

Treachery -

almost all these could be covered by either your local walmart stores or government related buildings with limbo being with your local welfare office...

Why have you thrown out the other names you mentioned?

And what is the point of a series of bad caches to begin with? Are they leading you to a marvelous final? Or are they there to make a point and encourage better cache placements?

The final is horrible. They are not to encourage better placement. When I bike , I see all kinds of places and get ideas. I also have to laugh why people complain about poor placement, no one is putting a gun to your head to find them. Also, If you are going for 366 days or a streak, we need some of those easy ones. So, I just thought, I'd come out and say, it is a bad placement- but lets see who resists and does NOT find it.

There are already a bazillion caches out there that seem to exist only to pad ones find count and keep ones streak alive. While it might not be the case for all of the locations you have in mind, each one would be taking up real estate for a cache placement that people might actually remember.

We already have enough lame hides. This would be another one. Do your caching community a favor and concentrate on hiding quality caches. I would've said creative and fun hides, but judging by your post, what you find fun would be the complete opposite of fun, so try for quality instead.

This series should go right into the rubbish bin of bad ideas.

Where I live is one of the most beautiful places in the US. We have plenty of great places for hides and a ton of LPS, guard rails and the like. I won't be taking up good real estate because within .1 miles wouldn't be good either. I don't know if anyone would like to sit in the rock pile I mentioned ( again, it is safe ). We all know when we go for a cache it it is an inspiring place or not. The Dante's Inferno idea had crossed my mind ! I just didn't want to put out that many. I wonder if someone else has. Great ideas! People will find them, that is the irony.

Where I live is one of the most beautiful places in the US. We have plenty of great places for hides and a ton of LPS, guard rails and the like. I won't be taking up good real estate because within .1 miles wouldn't be good either. I don't know if anyone would like to sit in the rock pile I mentioned ( again, it is safe ). We all know when we go for a cache it it is an inspiring place or not. The Dante's Inferno idea had crossed my mind ! I just didn't want to put out that many. I wonder if someone else has. Great ideas! People will find them, that is the irony.

If the area you live in is beautiful, and there's MUCH better places for caches around you, then why hide crap? Hide good quality caches in quality areas that people WANT to visit. Hiding crap just to be funny/pad people's numbers only enables others to do so and gives newer cachers a bad example of where to put a cache. If a new cacher goes out and finds 5 LPCs at McDonalds for their first 5 finds and then hides a cache.....where do you think they'll put their first hide? Wal-Mart?

Use the quality space that's available and get creative! :-D

Then again, you could call it the "Saturation Series" and place them within .1 miles of each other with over lapping .1 fields.

For example, on NeonGeo, I can turn on the option to show a red circle that extends .1 mile from the cache location. So the idea would be for those circles to over lap in such a way that you have almost one thick red line. In similar fashion to a power trail.

Edited by SirBowen

I think your idea only adds to the degradation of this game and I urge you to reconsider it. The rock pile idea is not funny at all. It's the type of cache that leads me to keep on driving and I would curse you for wasting my gas, my time, and the insult to my intelligence.

If you want a twist on the "bad cache" idea, try making the bad cache locations interesting. I one found a cache that was in a mailbox... that had been installed in the middle of the woods, at the end of a .25 mile hike. I've also seen guardrail caches in guardrails next to roads that were abandoned years ago. How about a fake power receptacle in an area where there is obviously no power? A bison tube that's 3 feet long? Not sure what you are trying to say by hiding lame caches and then telling the community that they are lame. Cool caches breed cool caches, just like unimaginative caches breed unimaginative ones.

If you want a twist on the "bad cache" idea, try making the bad cache locations interesting. I one found a cache that was in a mailbox... that had been installed in the middle of the woods, at the end of a .25 mile hike. I've also seen guardrail caches in guardrails next to roads that were abandoned years ago. How about a fake power receptacle in an area where there is obviously no power? A bison tube that's 3 feet long? Not sure what you are trying to say by hiding lame caches and then telling the community that they are lame. Cool caches breed cool caches, just like unimaginative caches breed unimaginative ones.

A couple weeks ago I had to replace our mailbox and the post it was on because it was rotted through and the box was rusted (but still otherwise functional). I kept the box and it's in my car trunk and I'm just WAITING for a good idea to hit me so I can use it for a new cache.

I hope you're not anticipating a lot of finds.....I look for almost everything but this one would go straight to the " ignore list ".

If you're going to spend time and effort why not hide caches that others will enjoy ?

This is an example of a local " revenge " cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC47H0J_frond-despond?guid=c28a4a86-a5df-4710-8bdf-4d5a7c8f61c3

Dang it! That is a mean cache... a PMOC listing... talk about getting even... :rolleyes: If that's where it looks like they can be sharp, but I'm only roughed in on that... BM you know...

Closest we have to a 'revenge' cache is this one

World's Biggest Truck . Which is quite popular with tourists.

At least the ones who mind their heads.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc