US Government Shut Down

Will the US Government shut down effect the GPS satelites on which we all rely? The GPS constellation is as I understand operated by the US Airforce Space Command. I think from a TV programme I watched about the system, the GPS system is managed by Uniformed Serivce men and it would appear that the uniformed service men are not going to be effected by the shut down but does any one know for sure. Perhaps we should do as much caching as possible before the system is turned off or degraded ?

Edited by Loony Londo

There are too many people outside the government who rely on GPS for their work and their lives. Think about nature documentary makers, container ship crews, airports, emergency services, etc.

I doubt a vital system as GPS will be shut down. Besides, they might be operating it, but there doesn't have to be anyone intervening unless something breaks.

It's happened before, and it is going to happen again.

The "shut-down" has to do with non-essential services.

-OR-

This scenario:

All armed forces personnel are now furloughed -- find your own way home. Sailors can swim!;

Obama phones are turned off (right!);

Cabinet members, Senators and Representatives will be standing in soup lines;

Air Force One and Marine One will be grounded (no pilots will be available);

Air Traffic Control ceases;

TSA agents will stay at home;

Camp David will be closed for the winter;

U.S. Marshall Service, FBI, ATF and CIA will lock their doors;

Oh yeah, all those satellites are gonna fall down and go BOOM!

I think the White House has yet to re-open tours, anyway.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Government worker's children are going to starve...

Epitome of hyperbole. :rolleyes:

I developed a web site about 6 years ago for as part of a contract we've had with the USDA for the past 15 years or so. It's hosted where I work and gets a feed of reports (hundreds per day) from several USDA agencies. This morning all usda.gov web sites were shut down, thus the data that feeds my site was cut off and I've had to update our site with a message indicating that it's not getting any new reports. More than that, since I've been involved with this contract for the past 15 years I have a lot of colleagues and friends at the USDA and National Agriculture Library that are now furloughed. Government workers are not just people that are in politics or in the national park service. I don't know if any of the government workers that I know are geocachers, but although they now have more free time to do it, I doubt that geocaching is at the front of their thoughts right now.

I developed a web site about 6 years ago for as part of a contract we've had with the USDA for the past 15 years or so. It's hosted where I work and gets a feed of reports (hundreds per day) from several USDA agencies. This morning all usda.gov web sites were shut down, thus the data that feeds my site was cut off and I've had to update our site with a message indicating that it's not getting any new reports. More than that, since I've been involved with this contract for the past 15 years I have a lot of colleagues and friends at the USDA and National Agriculture Library that are now furloughed. Government workers are not just people that are in politics or in the national park service. I don't know if any of the government workers that I know are geocachers, but although they now have more free time to do it, I doubt that geocaching is at the front of their thoughts right now.

My question is why were the websites shut down? I seriously doubt they were funded on a day to day basis. Let them be static. Somebody got paid to shut them down. Must have been essential personnel.

My question is why were the websites shut down? I seriously doubt they were funded on a day to day basis. Let them be static. Somebody got paid to shut them down. Must have been essential personnel.

The answer isn't that hard.

The web sites run on systems that require operating system and other software and a hardware platform. That software and hardware needs various types and levels of support. That means people. If those systems and/or those people are deemed non-essential, the systems are shut down and the people are furloughed.

Other systems in the Federal services are considered essential so the people that spport those are also considered essential so those systems stay up and those people keep working...some with pay and some not until the funding is available at which time they get their back pay. The furloughed people may or may not get back pay. They generally are not supposed to, but they have in the past.

It is also important to note that some Federal services are funded in different ways and/or on different schedules and/or by different appropriations bills. That is why they are not affected.

Edited by Semper Questio

A reminder that general conversations about the partial Government shutdown are best conducted in the Off Topic forum. Leave this thread for discussing the effects on geocaching. The OP is from London, so it's a legitimate question for a foreign observer to ask about the U.S. satellite navigation system on which the world relies. Thanks.

Satellites?? :huh:

I'm just afraid the Internet will shut down.

Or maybe just that the NSA will stop collecting every thing I type :unsure:?

GCHQ are still watching you :P

Anyway, I don't believe in democracy, governments should be forced out of all country's anyway.

Democracy isn't freedom, it's a bunch of people making false promises to take control and then manipulating the country to get their own way.

Freedom will only come via the abolishment of all governments and religions, which sadly will never actually happen.

Don't get me wrong, religion has the potential to benefit the world in a great way, but certain people of all religions ruin that for them. Democracy doesn't have any potential.

This government shut-down will be a brilliant thing in my opinion, it will give some people the confidence that governments aren't as needed as they seem.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, I don't believe in democracy, governments should be forced out of all country's anyway.

Democracy isn't freedom, it's a bunch of people making false promises to take control and then manipulating the country to get their own way.

Freedom will only come via the abolishment of all governments and religions, which sadly will never actually happen.

Don't get me wrong, religion has the potential to benefit the world in a great way, but certain people of all religions ruin that for them. Democracy doesn't have any potential.

This government shut-down will be a brilliant thing in my opinion, it will give some people the confidence that governments aren't as needed as they seem.

Just my opinion.

Hi,

I don't want to be a donk here, but could you please keep your political opinions to yourself or post them on MSN Or NBC or any other political web site. Thanks.

Just my opinion.

Hi,

I don't want to be a donk here, but could you please keep your political opinions to yourself or post them on MSN Or NBC or any other political web site. Thanks.

The guidance contained in post #14 of this thread is pertinent. Over in "Off Topic" you are free, within reason, to address this subject. Expect lively discourse! Good luck. :huh:

I don't see how inflicting ones political opinion on to others has to do with geocaching or the question posted here. Some of us take this geocaching up as a way to get away from it all. Not to be drowned in the worlds problems every were we go.

So please once again keep it to yourself or a political web site. And help keep this site fun for all!

Spending money to close things which have essentially no cost to operate. Heh. Reminds me of that sickening woman Bachmann playing to her extremists by kissing on a WWII vet at the Memorial while trying to pretend she's a victim too. Says she just can't understand why this is closed.

This memorial is on open unfenced ground. They had to pay somebody to move in portable barriers to surround and close it. Too funny.

She says GOP CongressCritters will be on hand every day to keep it open. Hope she cleans the bathrooms since she sent the employees home.