Rest Stop Caches

I think for frequent travelers rest stop caches should have their own icon and be replaced once very year. This is to give regular travelers a way to sort them out in a PQ

State park caches do not get their own icon, nor do caches in a city park, nor do caches in a walmart parking lot...why should rest stop caches get them? They can be traditionals, multis, unknowns, etc, have done at least 5 different icons in various rest stops.

So, I disagree with their own icon, but their maintenance should be like any other cache, they get replaced or archived or maintained like any other cache. Rest stop caches are nice, but they have as much right to be there 10 years as do any other caches.

Guess am not understanding the logic of this one. It sounds like you want the ability to be able to find them somehow correct?

Here is an idea. Help make a bookmark list of all the rest stops in your area, or find one that is already done. Have seen a number of bookmark lists which show rest stop caches.

Maybe you would enjoy making one for your home state. Its kinda fun to do some bookmark lists that folks like.

Edited by lamoracke

I think for frequent travelers rest stop caches should have their own icon and be replaced once very year. This is to give regular travelers a way to sort them out in a PQ

When we travel, my other 2/3rds does the along a route PQs.

Seems to include rest areas, as she's gotta stop at each.

- She's young enough yet, it's only for the caches. :laughing:

I see your reasoning for replacing them! But we like to place caches and we try to never archive them. To ask a cacher to archive a cache that is still in good shape and they are willing to maintain would be hard for me to do. It would be cool to get a new find there every so often though. Great Idea but I don't think it would work out.

I don't understand what is trying to be accomplished here. A couple of years ago I made a cross country trip and I had no issues identifying which caches were at rest stops and which ones weren't.

I don't understand what is trying to be accomplished here. A couple of years ago I made a cross country trip and I had no issues identifying which caches were at rest stops and which ones weren't.

He's trying to accomplish two things.

1. A special icon so he can find the locations quicker. I'm sure that all of us would like a special icon for what we consider to be our favorite cache.

2. That a new cache be available for him to find when he stops at the same location next year. I've found all of the rest stop caches going both way between LA and Vegas. If I stop at a rest stop, there is no cache for me to find. In other words, he wants a time limit so that cache owners will be forced to archive their cache and put out a new one for him to find.

One solution is to plan and follow a different route, you will see more caches and experience many more parts of the county...

+1.

For some years now on our cross country trips I avoid interstates whenever possible....you still make good time but pass through far better scenery, charming little towns, and there are a ton of caches along the way to find, many placed by interesting locations.

I just put it out there but agree there must be a better way. As the last post says on frequent trips it is nice to have a new one to find without getting of some of the toll Interstates.

Must disagree here. If a cache is replaced at a rest stop (or anywhere for that matter) at a regular intervals just so people can find it again, that's just number crunching.

If it is a nice spot just stop anyway. Get out and stretch your legs. See if the cache is in the same spot you left it last time. Have a look at the log book for interesting comments. Pick up or drop off a trackable.

Huntleigh (it's not about the numbers)

Edited by Huntleigh

May have to plan my trips that way. Maybe an Attribute? there is one for P&G caches

I like that idea. It would make it easy to include or exclude from searches.

When I did my last cross country trip I used the create a route feature. I was able to get all the caches alongside the road, including some that were just off an exit but not a rest stops loading in to my GPS. I think it took 5 or 6 routes to go all the way across the US but my GPS had no problem handling it all.

May have to plan my trips that way. Maybe an Attribute? there is one for P&G caches

I like that idea. It would make it easy to include or exclude from searches.

When I did my last cross country trip I used the create a route feature. I was able to get all the caches alongside the road, including some that were just off an exit but not a rest stops loading in to my GPS. I think it took 5 or 6 routes to go all the way across the US but my GPS had no problem handling it all.

Exactly what we do.....I've had as many as 40 created in GSAK and load them to my Nuvi and handhelds as the trip progresses.

Must disagree here. If a cache is replaced at a rest stop (or anywhere for that matter) at a regular intervals just so people can find it again, that's just number crunching.

I like finding a lot of caches sometimes but I tend to agree here. A rest stop cache is just another cache and it should not get any special attention.

If it is a nice spot just stop anyway. Get out and stretch your legs. See if the cache is in the same spot you left it last time. Have a look at the log book for interesting comments. Pick up or drop off a trackable.

Yep. It's just another day in paradise. Have some fun.

A pet peeve about some rest stop caches: I like to use them to give trackables a good start on long journeys, if that's what the owner wants. That's why I like to see rest stop caches that are big enough to take a GC or a TB. Too often the rest stop caches are micros.

Amen brother.

I think it would be cool if there were more "portal" caches. Would be difficult to maintain though.

A pet peeve about some rest stop caches: I like to use them to give trackables a good start on long journeys, if that's what the owner wants. That's why I like to see rest stop caches that are big enough to take a GC or a TB. Too often the rest stop caches are micros.

There are also too many micros/nanos not in rest stops also.