450t vs. 62st

Alan Ellis

Replacing my 60CSx and have narrowed it down to the 450t and the 62st.

I know the obvious differences....price, screen size, etc. Price is no object, but don't understand why the Oregon is almost half the price. ???

Which one would you buy and why if price was not a factor?

Also, will my 60CSx mounts work with the 62st?

Thank you for all your replies!

The 450t is now a discontinued model due to the new 600 series being introduced, so they are being liquidated.

So I should get the 450t? The Oregon seems to have some issues....

In reality, most Garmin units, whether older paperless units or their latest releases, have issues to some degree.

I have an eTrex 20, which is overall a nice little unit, but I'm still considering getting a 450 due to the great prices.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of that 60CSx. It's one of Garmin's most solid, reliable units ever and it still works as well today as the day you bought it. You'll miss it if you sell it off or something.

I dumped my 60 for a 450 and never regretted it. Then on through a 550 to a Montana. Wouldn't go back to non touchscreen if it was free.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of that 60CSx. It's one of Garmin's most solid, reliable units ever and it still works as well today as the day you bought it. You'll miss it if you sell it off or something.

I dumped my 60 for a 450 and never regretted it. Then on through a 550 to a Montana. Wouldn't go back to non touchscreen if it was free.

Good for you.

Same here. Never looked back. The 450 is an awesome unit...certainly a step up from the 60.

I'll second Walts Hunting's sentiments. After using every model Garmin has released since 2001, I'd never go back to buttons. Most people find touchscreen easier to use. Perhaps because "touch screen" is so ubiquitous in today's technological devices. Go with the 450, you won't be disappointed. And I'll bet you won't use your 60CSX after owning a 450. You might hang on to it as a backup second device or one to let your friends use but that's about it.

Edited by yogazoo

I was at an event last year when a new geocacher was regretting her choice of a 60CSX when she saw all the shiny newer models. I told her not to regret it, the 60CSX was a great unit and many of those who are carrying the shiny new units still bring their 60CSX along in their pack.

Then another cacher joined us sporting an Oregon around his neck. I asked him if he had a 60CSX in his pack and sure enough he did.

I don't have either of these GPS units, but I do cache with someone who has a 450 and am considering one myself.

When we are out caching together and working on a multi, he already has the info typed into his 450 for the next stage and has to wait while I enter the coordinates for the next stage in my eTrex 20 using the joystick.

I don't have either of these GPS units, but I do cache with someone who has a 450 and am considering one myself.

When we are out caching together and working on a multi, he already has the info typed into his 450 for the next stage and has to wait while I enter the coordinates for the next stage in my eTrex 20 using the joystick.

Plus one on that. I cache with a guy who has the Colorado and waiting for him to go through his steps to mark it found and set up the go to next before we head for the next cache is tiresome. The screen on the 450 isn't all that great in the sunlight but if you are hiking then you just tilt it toward the light and it is fine. On a bicycle not so good since your changing position can make the screen dull.