New Iowa State Parks *Rules*!

welch

The park manager from Pleasent Creek State Rec. Area called me today and asked if I could come down and show where all the caches in the park were. I was a bit confused icon_eek.gif.

Seems they found a cache (and were holding it in the office) and since I had tried to get permission and been 'turned down' icon_rolleyes.gif, it was assumed I had just placed caches anyways.

So I explained that Ive not placed any caches in the park, and that using the gc.com website one could probly contact the cache owner.

The good part of this, is that it seems that as long as the owner contacts the local manager/ranger the cache maybe can stay. All the stuff about compling with special events and needing insurance are no longer being pushed icon_smile.gif.

One of the higher up DNR people (state Bureau Chief I think she said) issued an email saying that, Its up to the local park managers (or at lease until more offical rules are needed). And as long as they(park managers) are made aware of

the cache location (cachers must ask permission), so it isnt placed in a bad spot.

Sounds like what Spinwebby said back here. I guess this the point at which we prove ourselves. icon_smile.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

SaidGeoTeam was out with Olgezzer on a cache hunt in Stone State Park in NW Iowa on Memorial Day weekend. We were followed into the park by a DNR officer who saw our geocaching window decals and license plate frames.

The DNR guy invited himself along on the hunt and took pictures icon_eek.gif of the cache in its hiding spot. He said that "at this time" there are no state-wide rules for caching. He will be handing over the pics he took to someone higher up in the DNR food chain. He said that the biggest concern right now is whether the increased foot traffic by cachers will harm the natural environment. If he starts to see visible wear along the trails from people (as opposed to deer, etc), he will ask that the cache be re-hidden in a new location. We did point out to him that we believe in "cache in, trash out". icon_biggrin.gif

I'd like to add that here in NW Iowa, we've had very positive experiences with DNR/Conservation officers, both State and County. Many have said they like the additional visitors to the parks. One of our own caches was found by a County Conservation officer on a clean-up duty. He read the info inside, signed the log book, and re-hid the cache. icon_smile.gif

It seems to me that it's a matter of making sure the correct info gets to the DNR before they hear all the "horror stories" of burried caches just feet away from Indian Burial Grounds, etc (which is of course against the caching rules anyway). And keep in mind that DNR regulations would apply only to State Parks. Each County could set up its own rules on caching in county managed parks.

We each need to do what we can to present a good image for cachers.

SaidGeoTeam

NorthWest Iowa Geocaching Club

As a cacher who has taken over a cache in a state park, I am interested in any new rules.

Geo Welch has written to me about proposed new rules and said he would send me what he found.

I have only one cache in a state park, the rest are in county parks. I hope I don't have a problem with them.

quote:
Originally posted by K0BKL:

I have disabled my cache in Geode State Park,

and recovered the cache. I don't want it seized, as I understand that they have others.

I have written the DNR, but have not had a

reply to my letter.

What caches were seized? I can only think of one, and it was given back the owner, they could even have just taken the cache and put it back out, but declined icon_frown.gif

Did you contact the ranger at Geode? or someone else?

Please hang on while we work with the Iowa DNR to finalize a policy. I represent Great Plains Geocaching, a group of geocachers in the Great Plains states, and our role has been to work with state agencies to develop fair geocaching policies for state properties. The Iowa DNR has made tremendous efforts to learn about geocaching and its effects on their lands. We have been very impressed by their (currently) proposed policy. They have asked that we NOT distribute the policy widely as yet, only to allow them time to run it by more public policy officials and gain more support. I agreed, believing that by having geocachers growl at this stage would only hurt our efforts.

The best thing you can do, is to contact park officials and talk with them about geocaching. Teach them about geocaching and about the health benefits as well as the opportunities for exposing families to environmental issues. Be positive and talk it out with them.

Many of the State of Iowa's Naturalists have been introduced to geocaching. And its my understanding that the experience has been effective.

We'll be sure to let you know when there is a policy I can share with you. Until then, please be careful in your dealings with park officials.

SpinWebby

www.gpgeocaching.com

37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I work for the Iowa DNR and know that there has been NO staff wide email discussing geocaching in State Parks issued (note the policy that the department is developing will include all DNR lands such as Wildlife Management Areas, State Forests, State Preserves, etc.). There may have been an email sent to the Parks Division staff (those in charge of MOST DNR lands) however a lot of DNR staff do not know or understand what geocaching is. My recommendation is to talk to them (approach them, don't wait to be approached. Since they deal with quite a few "upset" people they want new visitors to enjoy their (the visitor's parks not the DNR staff's park, these are public lands) parks and they like to see when the public is enjoying the natural resources in a responsible way. However, remember that as civil servants it is our (the DNR’s) mission: "To conserve and enhance our natural resources in cooperation with individuals and organizations to improve the quality of life for Iowans and ensure a legacy for all generations".